Hard Spun Foals

Re: Hard Spun Foals

Postby Happy Endings » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:33 pm

Two stakes entries coming up this week, both at Belmont Park on Friday. Ruby Lips returns from an 8-month break and goes in the Zaftig Stakes and Slan Abhaile goes in the Aljamin Stakes.

I decided to find out what Slan's name means and found this: "Slán abhaile" is an Irish phrase used to bid goodbye to someone who is travelling home. A literal translation is 'Safe Home', which is used in the same way in Hiberno-English. Slán ("safe") is used in many Irish-language farewell formulas; abhaile means "homeward". (pronounced 'slan a walya' or 'slawn awallya').

Maybe some folks already knew this, but I didn't. I never had guessed the correct pronunciation.
I found my sneakers!
Happy Endings
 
Posts: 1137
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Hard Spun Foals

Postby Happy Endings » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:14 pm

Jenner returned from a 5-month break to win at Morphettville in Australia. He is now 5-3-0-0. Got up just in time after threading through horses.
Jabhaat placed 2nd in the John Musker Fillies' Stakes(Listed) at Yarmouth in GB.
Hard Romp was 2nd at Bendingo in Australia. He is now 10-1-3-1. Had a wider trip than the winner and got caught.

Race replay for Jenner: http://www.theracessa.com.au/show_video ... 8&trial=no

Race replay for Hard Romp: http://www.australianracing.com/pages/replay/9.php
Select Australia A, Sept 17, Race #9

Race replay for Jabhaat: http://www.attheraces.com/card.aspx?rac ... av=results
I found my sneakers!
Happy Endings
 
Posts: 1137
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Hard Spun Foals

Postby Lava Man Fan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:15 pm

Happy Endings wrote:Two stakes entries coming up this week, both at Belmont Park on Friday. Ruby Lips returns from an 8-month break and goes in the Zaftig Stakes and Slan Abhaile goes in the Aljamin Stakes.

I decided to find out what Slan's name means and found this: "Slán abhaile" is an Irish phrase used to bid goodbye to someone who is travelling home. A literal translation is 'Safe Home', which is used in the same way in Hiberno-English. Slán ("safe") is used in many Irish-language farewell formulas; abhaile means "homeward". (pronounced 'slan a walya' or 'slawn awallya').

Maybe some folks already knew this, but I didn't. I never had guessed the correct pronunciation.


It should be noted that one of the horses Slan is facing is Shanghai Bobby.
Lava Man Fan
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:54 am

Re: Hard Spun Foals

Postby Happy Endings » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:24 pm

Lava Man Fan wrote:
Happy Endings wrote:Two stakes entries coming up this week, both at Belmont Park on Friday. Ruby Lips returns from an 8-month break and goes in the Zaftig Stakes and Slan Abhaile goes in the Aljamin Stakes.

I decided to find out what Slan's name means and found this: "Slán abhaile" is an Irish phrase used to bid goodbye to someone who is travelling home. A literal translation is 'Safe Home', which is used in the same way in Hiberno-English. Slán ("safe") is used in many Irish-language farewell formulas; abhaile means "homeward". (pronounced 'slan a walya' or 'slawn awallya').

Maybe some folks already knew this, but I didn't. I never had guessed the correct pronunciation.


It should be noted that one of the horses Slan is facing is Shanghai Bobby.


Oh, yes, that's hard to overlook!! I gulped when I noticed that in the entries.
I found my sneakers!
Happy Endings
 
Posts: 1137
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Hard Spun Foals

Postby Lava Man Fan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:55 pm

Happy Endings wrote:
Lava Man Fan wrote:
Happy Endings wrote:Two stakes entries coming up this week, both at Belmont Park on Friday. Ruby Lips returns from an 8-month break and goes in the Zaftig Stakes and Slan Abhaile goes in the Aljamin Stakes.

I decided to find out what Slan's name means and found this: "Slán abhaile" is an Irish phrase used to bid goodbye to someone who is travelling home. A literal translation is 'Safe Home', which is used in the same way in Hiberno-English. Slán ("safe") is used in many Irish-language farewell formulas; abhaile means "homeward". (pronounced 'slan a walya' or 'slawn awallya').

Maybe some folks already knew this, but I didn't. I never had guessed the correct pronunciation.


It should be noted that one of the horses Slan is facing is Shanghai Bobby.


Oh, yes, that's hard to overlook!! I gulped when I noticed that in the entries.


Hopefully he doesn't return to his two year old form. Slan may have been sixth in the KB, but that was a sneaky sixth. Not sure he can win, but we'll see!
Lava Man Fan
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:54 am

Re: Hard Spun Foals

Postby Happy Endings » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:10 pm

Slan second to Bobby only by a head.
I found my sneakers!
Happy Endings
 
Posts: 1137
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Hard Spun Foals

Postby Happy Endings » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:13 pm

Light Burst was 2nd at Wolverhampton in GB.
I found my sneakers!
Happy Endings
 
Posts: 1137
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Hard Spun Foals

Postby Lava Man Fan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:16 pm

It sounds like he gave Bobby all he could handle.
Lava Man Fan
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:54 am

Re: Hard Spun Foals

Postby WarBiscuit » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:24 pm

Ian Wilkes trained Free As A Bird, is running in the Jazzy Stakes at Belmont next Wednesday (9/25/13).

Jazzy Stakes - 3yo's and up - Purse $100,000 - Seven Furlongs - Race 3 - 2:07 pm - Edgar Prado, up


WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit
 
Posts: 1236
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Re: Hard Spun Foals

Postby Lava Man Fan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:41 pm

Ruby Lips was sixth in the Zafitg.

(Speaking of Zafitg, she went to HS this year and her mom of course went by for a full sib to Zo Impressive)
Lava Man Fan
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:54 am

PreviousNext

Return to Horse Followings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests