Phipps Horses

Flanders

Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:48 pm

Cladan wrote:The inside speed has been holding up so far at Belmont and it was a decent effort from Sea Island. Shug will try to find a similar spot to get the win but a return to the turf is also under consideration before the season closes.

It was great to see Abaco win some more blacktype but it was a tough loss. She was much the best but that's racing. Good that the mare is back to form and if she comes out of the race well we may see her run next in the Athenia or wait for another minor stakes.

Orb, Imagining and Hymn Book are all due to run in Graded Stakes on Saturday. Boisterous could also run. Reload is being trained for Keeneland.

Glad to see the thread has been resurrected and pleased that it's in the horse racing section, where it belongs. I hope everyone is well.
Welcome Back Cladan! Great to see you here again.
Lakeway

Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:37 pm

Cladan wrote:The inside speed has been holding up so far at Belmont and it was a decent effort from Sea Island. Shug will try to find a similar spot to get the win but a return to the turf is also under consideration before the season closes.

It was great to see Abaco win some more blacktype but it was a tough loss. She was much the best but that's racing. Good that the mare is back to form and if she comes out of the race well we may see her run next in the Athenia or wait for another minor stakes.

Orb, Imagining and Hymn Book are all due to run in Graded Stakes on Saturday. Boisterous could also run. Reload is being trained for Keeneland.

Glad to see the thread has been resurrected and pleased that it's in the horse racing section, where it belongs. I hope everyone is well.
So glad you're back Cladan - I was really wondering what the thoughts were on Sea Island's race. Glad to see so many will be running on Saturday...
Cladan

Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:02 pm

Puzzling had been working very well on the all weather at Fair Hill throughout the summer. Her subsequent disappointment at Saratoga has seen her revert back to the dirt in her works. The mare is due to run in a minor stakes at Presque Isle Downs on Thursday and will make her race debut on the artificial main track. Puzzling got her blacktype on and off track, so fingers crossed that she runs well.

Admiral Perry gets another chance in a stakes and will ship to Delaware on the same day. Hopefully the horse will hit the board for the Janney colors.

Caxambas Pass will cut back in distance coming off her maiden win. Hopefully the filly will settle better than in previous races and is due to run on wedesday.
Buckpasser

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:07 am

Glad that you are back Cladan. As usual, Thanks for your insights. looking forward to this weekend. I saw that Point of Entry had his second work since his injury. Does he have a realistic chance of making to a big race this year?
Lakeway

Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:19 pm

Well, wonder who decided to move the thread here???

Darn about Caxambas Pass - sounds like she got hung out wide the entire triip and just tired...
Buckpasser

Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:14 pm

Disappointing effort by Puzzling but a game effort by Air Support. If you saw the races on tv - did anyone notice that they mixed up the Janney and Phipps silks that they sent to Delaware Park and Presque Isle Downs? Rosie N. wore the Phipps colors with the Janney white cap on Puzzling while Air Support's jockey wore the Janney colors with the Phipps cherry cap

Hopefully some better results tomorrow.
ThreeMustangs

Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:48 pm

Hymn Book was a fast-closing third in the Kelso.
Lakeway

Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:23 pm

Hymn Book looked good. Hoping Orb is ok - looked like he bobbled when checked at the top of the stretch. The Triple Crown just takes so much out of the 3yr. olds...
Lakeway

Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:43 pm

Data Link has been retired and I will miss rooting for him. But, since he has been, I'm very excited about the news that he'll stand at Claiborne. Always happy to see more Alydar bloodlines and now they have 4 - Arch, Blame, Data Link and Parading...

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... -claiborne
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:21 pm

Is anyone else surprised to see Boisterous in the Keeneland sale?
Lakeway

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:57 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Is anyone else surprised to see Boisterous in the Keeneland sale?
Yes - very...
starrydreamer

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:16 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Is anyone else surprised to see Boisterous in the Keeneland sale?
Oh, you betcha.

Sorry that Data Link has been retired. I'll miss watching him race, but I'm excited for him to be standing at stud next to his sire.
Cladan

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:24 pm

Hi Buckpasser

The hope is that Point of Entry will run in Breeders' Cup. There is no prep intended. My own view is that he won't be ready and will be retired with his reputation in place. Whether POE runs or not, he will be remembered as one of the best that the family has owned.

There is plenty of time to reflect on Orb's monumental spring and his incredible achievements. Whether the colt runs again remains to be seen. The heart says that he deserves the opportunity to come back at 4 yrs and prove that he was an above average derby winner but I think he lost something in the Preakness and it would be a huge financial and emotional commitment to bring him back for next year. The colt doesn't owe anybody that truly matters or cares about him.

Reload has been working well at Fair Hill but so was Puzzling who never returned to the form that she showed before her enforced layoff. Hopefully Reload can win some blacktype and replicate his impressive run at Keeneland in the Spring.

Voyage, Collusion, Salute, Adjudication, Lemons and Limes, and Forest Trail are due to be culled. Adjacent has been retired.

Boisterous was a hard sell as a stallion and it's felt that he is better value as a racing/stallion prospect at a public sale.
Roar

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:27 pm

Thanks as always for your insights Cladan!
Lakeway

Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:49 pm

Cladan - Also want to thank you for your continued updates. I will definitely be watching, and rooting, for Reload.

For those who will be following the Kenneland sale next month, this is what I have so far:
  • SESSION 1:
    0026 Salute
    0069 Voyage
    0149 Gloat
    0165 Jet Away
    0197 Boisterous
    SESSION 3:
    0552 Adjudication
    0608 Collusion
    0675 Forest Trail
    0748 Lemons and Limes
Lakeway

Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:37 pm

Finally got a chance to watch Reload's race. Hard to tell a lot watching it on the computer, but looked like he broke slow and then tripped which put him near the back of the pack. From there looked like he tried to go between horses at one point, but no space so had to go wide and just didn't have it - darn... Hope he came out of the race ok...
monty

Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:19 pm

I wish I could afford Salute.
Lakeway

Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:57 pm

monty wrote:I wish I could afford Salute.
Same here, and being the Alydar fan that I am - Gloat and/or Jet Away...
Cladan

Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:38 pm

I don't remember the last time the stable had a 35-1 starter but Sealed Bid belied his odds and looked pretty good after the long lay off. It was perhaps a poor field but the colt showed that he has the ability to win a race in due course. The future of the Grey Flight family now rests with Hidden Reserve, Smuggler and Consequence but it would be wonderful if Inside Information could produce another winner.
Lakeway

Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:56 pm

Cladan wrote:I don't remember the last time the stable had a 35-1 starter but Sealed Bid belied his odds and looked pretty good after the long lay off. It was perhaps a poor field but the colt showed that he has the ability to win a race in due course. The future of the Grey Flight family now rests with Hidden Reserve, Smuggler and Consequence but it would be wonderful if Inside Information could produce another winner.
Good news about Secret Bid - I didn't know he was running as didn't have him in my VStable as he hadn't run for a year...