Racing Trivia

Bookman
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:16 am

Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:34 pm

mchorseracecall wrote:Hew is my trivia question: Name all the racetracks owned by Churchill Downs Incorporated?
Currently, in alphabetical order:
Arlington Park, Calder, Churchill Downs, Fair Grounds

Just for info they had previously owned Hollywood Park. Any others? My mind is slipping.
“I wish you could run the races with no jocks and just put chickens on ’em.” - Billy Gowan
mchorseracecall
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:17 pm

Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:51 pm

Bookman wrote:
mchorseracecall wrote:Hew is my trivia question: Name all the racetracks owned by Churchill Downs Incorporated?
Currently, in alphabetical order:
Arlington Park, Calder, Churchill Downs, Fair Grounds

Just for info they had previously owned Hollywood Park. Any others? My mind is slipping.
Congratulations, Bookman, you've got the correct answers to my trivia question.

http://www.abcgiftsandawards.com/smbron ... racing.gif
WaquoitNBroadBrush
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:08 pm

Bookman wrote:
mchorseracecall wrote:Hew is my trivia question: Name all the racetracks owned by Churchill Downs Incorporated?
Currently, in alphabetical order:
Arlington Park, Calder, Churchill Downs, Fair Grounds

Just for info they had previously owned Hollywood Park. Any others? My mind is slipping.
Hoosier Park?
mchorseracecall
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:17 pm

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:53 am

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
Bookman wrote:
mchorseracecall wrote:Hew is my trivia question: Name all the racetracks owned by Churchill Downs Incorporated?
Currently, in alphabetical order:
Arlington Park, Calder, Churchill Downs, Fair Grounds

Just for info they had previously owned Hollywood Park. Any others? My mind is slipping.
Hoosier Park?
Waquoit, in April 2007, Centaur Group bought Hoosier Park from the Churchill Downs Company for 8.2 million dollars.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... hill-downs
Blue Jeans
Posts: 859
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:00 am

Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:07 pm

Trivia Question:

Name the only filly to win the Kentucky Oaks, Black-Eyed Susan Stakes, Acorn Stakes, Mother Goose and Coaching Club American Oaks. She was born the year Faye Dunaway won the Oscar for Best Actress.
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. ~ Cowboy saying

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers
tres borrachos
Posts: 886
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:32 pm

Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:54 pm

Blue Jeans wrote:Trivia Question:

Name the only filly to win the Kentucky Oaks, Black-Eyed Susan Stakes, Acorn Stakes, Mother Goose and Coaching Club American Oaks. She was born the year Faye Dunaway won the Oscar for Best Actress.
Davona Dale!
Blue Jeans
Posts: 859
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:00 am

Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:08 am

tres borrachos wrote:
Blue Jeans wrote:Trivia Question:

Name the only filly to win the Kentucky Oaks, Black-Eyed Susan Stakes, Acorn Stakes, Mother Goose and Coaching Club American Oaks. She was born the year Faye Dunaway won the Oscar for Best Actress.
Davona Dale!
Cheers ... you're right! :D

http://www.pedigreequery.com/davona+dale
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. ~ Cowboy saying

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 2872
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:19 am

What Champion filly was Bold Ruler's first and last mare bred?
Blue Jeans
Posts: 859
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:00 am

Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:29 am

Flanders wrote:What Champion filly was Bold Ruler's first and last mare bred?
2nd ETA: Nevermind. Do you mean the mare he bred with to produce a champion filly? Gamely? With Gambetta?

ETA: Not sure I'm reading this question right, but that's not unusual for me. ;)
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. ~ Cowboy saying

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers
User avatar
Raven
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:09 pm

Who is the only horse in history to win both the SA Derby and SA Hdcp in the same year?
You will soon break the bow if you keep it always stretched ~Faedus~
swale1984
Posts: 668
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:56 pm

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:38 am

Stagehand
User avatar
Raven
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:51 pm

swale1984 wrote:Stagehand
Yes!
You will soon break the bow if you keep it always stretched ~Faedus~
swale1984
Posts: 668
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:56 pm

Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:30 pm

Seabiscuit set the race record for the Big Cap in his renowned victory. It was a record that stood until which horse broke it?
Blue Jeans
Posts: 859
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:00 am

Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:20 am

swale1984 wrote:Seabiscuit set the race record for the Big Cap in his renowned victory. It was a record that stood until which horse broke it?
John Henry - '81 & '82.
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. ~ Cowboy saying

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers
swale1984
Posts: 668
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:56 pm

Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:41 pm

Blue Jeans wrote:
swale1984 wrote:Seabiscuit set the race record for the Big Cap in his renowned victory. It was a record that stood until which horse broke it?
John Henry - '81 & '82.

No...the record didn't stand that long!
mchorseracecall
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:17 pm

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:02 pm

swale1984 wrote:Seabiscuit set the race record for the Big Cap in his renowned victory. It was a record that stood until which horse broke it?
Swale1984, it was Spectacular Bid, who broke the Santa Anita track record for a mile and one quarter on dirt, by winning the 1980 Strub Stakes. The horse was owned by Hawksworth Farm, trained by Grover Delp, and ridden by Bill Shoemaker.
Last edited by mchorseracecall on Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Jeans
Posts: 859
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:00 am

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:14 pm

swale1984 wrote:
Blue Jeans wrote:
swale1984 wrote:Seabiscuit set the race record for the Big Cap in his renowned victory. It was a record that stood until which horse broke it?
John Henry - '81 & '82.

No...the record didn't stand that long!
Noor in 1950 at 2.00.00.
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. ~ Cowboy saying

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers
mchorseracecall
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:17 pm

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:26 pm

Blue Jeans wrote:
No...the record didn't stand that long!
Noor in 1950 at 2.00.00.[/quote]

Oh yeah, that is the correct answer, Blue Jeans, according to Gil Stratton, on the C.D. "Joe Hernandez: The Voice of Santa Anita", Noor broke Seabiscuit's track record in the distance of a mile and one quarter on dirt at Santa Anita, by winning the 1950 Big Cap. Thirty years after, it was Spectacular Bid who broke the record, by winning the 1980 Strub Stakes.
swale1984
Posts: 668
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:56 pm

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:31 pm

Yep! It was NOOR. I was looking at the list of winners, and thought it was interesting that Kayak II set the record of 2:01:40 in 1939, Seabiscuit lowered it by 1/5 the following year, and it stood until the last winner owned by Charles Howard broke it 10 years later.
Blue Jeans
Posts: 859
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:00 am

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:34 pm

mchorseracecall wrote:
Blue Jeans wrote:
No...the record didn't stand that long!
Noor in 1950 at 2.00.00.
Oh yeah, that is the correct answer, Blue Jeans, according to Gil Stratton, on the C.D. "Joe Hernandez: The Voice of Santa Anita", Noor broke Seabiscuit's track record in the distance of a mile and one quarter on dirt at Santa Anita, by winning the 1950 Big Cap. Thirty years after, it was Spectacular Bid who broke the record, by winning the 1980 Strub Stakes.[/quote]

Noor was also the reason Citation didn't run the Hollywood Gold Cup in 1950. They waited a year (1951) so Citation could win and go out a winner (retired a winner) ... with no Noor. :lol:
Last edited by Blue Jeans on Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. ~ Cowboy saying

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers
Post Reply