Racing Trivia

Blue Jeans
Posts: 859
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:00 am

Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:59 pm

mchorseracecall wrote:Name the two horses who had won the Santa Anita Handicap, the Hollywood Gold Cup (a race now called The Gold Cup At Santa Anita Stakes, after Hollywood Park closed for racing on December 2013), and the Pacific Classic in a single year?
Lava Man in 2006 at age 5.
Game On Dude in 2013 at age 6.
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. ~ Cowboy saying

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers
mchorseracecall
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:17 pm

Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:46 pm

Blue Jeans wrote:
mchorseracecall wrote:Name the two horses who had won the Santa Anita Handicap, the Hollywood Gold Cup (a race now called The Gold Cup At Santa Anita Stakes, after Hollywood Park closed for racing on December 2013), and the Pacific Classic in a single year?
Lava Man in 2006 at age 5.
Game On Dude in 2013 at age 6.
Congratulations Blue Jeans, these are the correct answers to my trivia questions.
User avatar
Raven
Posts: 1188
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:08 pm

This horse was the only one that had his own bomb shelter during the second world war!
Whenever horsemen from all over the world went to England they made a point of going to see this great horse.

Name the horse!
You will soon break the bow if you keep it always stretched ~Faedus~
swale1984
Posts: 668
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:56 pm

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:05 pm

Nearco
User avatar
Raven
Posts: 1188
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:13 pm

That was fast. Are we reading the same book?
You will soon break the bow if you keep it always stretched ~Faedus~
swale1984
Posts: 668
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:56 pm

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:35 pm

LOL...no. I'm just a research nut with too much time on my hands since I'm on leave from my job! :D
User avatar
Raven
Posts: 1188
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:55 pm

So we should stop posting trivia questions because they are not trivia anymore!

On the other hand the rest of us are learning something!!
You will soon break the bow if you keep it always stretched ~Faedus~
swale1984
Posts: 668
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:56 pm

Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:45 pm

Raven wrote:So we should stop posting trivia questions because they are not trivia anymore!

On the other hand the rest of us are learning something!!

IDK. I'm good at answering...horrible at making questions that aren't super-detailed pedigree research things (we did that one summer when I was on the MSNBC horse racing forum)....so, I bow to you for the next question (if there is one!)
Blue Jeans
Posts: 859
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:00 am

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:17 am

That was a good question, Raven. Found a site that described the shelter to some degree; picture is available ... #60.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/20 ... -war/2542/ #60 Nearco

>Nearco, the highest priced racehorse ever sold [at that time], has a bomb-proof shelter at this town near Newmarket, Cheveley, England on April 16, 1944. The shelter has air conditioning, electric lighting, and is roofed with 4 ft. of reinforced concrete surmounted by several feet of earth. Here, Nearco is shown being led out of his shelter. (AP Photo) #<
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. ~ Cowboy saying

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 2771
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:29 am

swale1984 wrote:horrible at making questions that aren't super-detailed pedigree research things (we did that one summer when I was on the MSNBC horse racing forum)....so, I bow to you for the next question (if there is one!)
I've found my questions to be to in depth. But here goes, I hope I don't give too much away:

This multi-champion filly was as blue blooded as could be. However, her owner decided to keep her at his farm in New Jersey, where she was bred to obscure local stallions for 3 of her 4 foals, her last actually being by a Kentucky stallion.
swale1984
Posts: 668
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:56 pm

Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:13 pm

can you give me a time frame? There are a lot of fillies that come to mind.
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 2771
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:19 pm

swale1984 wrote:can you give me a time frame? There are a lot of fillies that come to mind.
1960s
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 2771
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Sun May 18, 2014 9:37 pm

The answer was Tosmah.

Name the two colts who won 2/3rds of the Triple Crown but didn't get an Eclipse Award as top 3yo.
carole
Posts: 2338
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:57 pm

Fri May 23, 2014 8:47 am

Flanders wrote:The answer was Tosmah.

Name the two colts who won 2/3rds of the Triple Crown but didn't get an Eclipse Award as top 3yo.
Tabasco Cat-1994 title won by Holy Bull
Riva Ridge-1972 title won by Key To The Mint
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 2771
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Sat May 24, 2014 4:48 am

carole wrote:
Flanders wrote:The answer was Tosmah.

Name the two colts who won 2/3rds of the Triple Crown but didn't get an Eclipse Award as top 3yo.
Tabasco Cat-1994 title won by Holy Bull
Riva Ridge-1972 title won by Key To The Mint
Correct
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 827
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:19 pm

Raven wrote:Citation. 1950
The horse is correct but Big Cy actually did it winning the 1951 Hollywood Gold Cup.
Blue Jeans
Posts: 859
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:00 am

Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:24 pm

Curtis wrote:
Raven wrote:Citation. 1950
The horse is correct but Big Cy actually did it winning the 1951 Hollywood Gold Cup.
What's this all about? Had you gone to page 2 .... Dec. 4, 2013 post at 10:45AM, you would've read ... the correct answer. ;)

ETA:
Right horse, wrong year. Citation in 1951. Noor won the race in 1950.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_ ... _the_track

>In 1951, Citation became the first million-dollar-winning horse by winning his final start, the Hollywood Gold Cup.<
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. ~ Cowboy saying

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers
User avatar
Raven
Posts: 1188
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:15 pm

There is only one filly that has won the Canadian TC!
Who was it?
You will soon break the bow if you keep it always stretched ~Faedus~
PJMIII
Posts: 9550
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:12 am

Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:29 am

Dance Smartly won it in 1991.
User avatar
Raven
Posts: 1188
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:09 pm

PJMIII wrote:Dance Smartly won it in 1991.
Yes she did!
You will soon break the bow if you keep it always stretched ~Faedus~
Post Reply