Voting for NTRA 2017 Moment of the Year

Voting for NTRA 2017 Moment of the Year

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:43 pm

Voting is open for the Moment of the Year.
https://www.ntra.com/eclipse-awards/201 ... f-the-year.
There are, of course, many great races to vote for, but I chose the fire at San Luis Rey.
That may be a grim choice, compared to the happiness great race performances can bring us. But this was an event that has impacted the whole industry; 46 horses died, hundreds of workers lost everything they owned, a major training/stabling facility is out of commission for who knows how long, the racehorses lost will affect the fields for races, especially in California. And hundreds of volunteers showed up from everywhere to help the displaced/injured horses and people. The way the people in the racing industry pulled together was such a good thing, in the middle of such a horrible event.
BaroqueAgain1
 
Posts: 8265
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Re: Voting for NTRA 2017 Moment of the Year

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:51 pm

Geez, five of those moments have to do with people or horses dying. 2017 really was a horrible year.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
 
Posts: 3715
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Re: Voting for NTRA 2017 Moment of the Year

Postby stark » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:49 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Voting is open for the Moment of the Year.
https://www.ntra.com/eclipse-awards/201 ... f-the-year.
There are, of course, many great races to vote for, but I chose the fire at San Luis Rey.


On a somewhat related note, a tweet from SoCal....

Bob Ike
‏@bobike1

Here's hoping https://twitter.com/BH_JBalan will get consideration for a special media Eclipse Award for his coverage of the SLR fire and its aftermath. Really great work.

https://twitter.com/bobike1/status/948931095835246592
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark
 
Posts: 2652
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Voting for NTRA 2017 Moment of the Year

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:48 pm

stark wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Voting is open for the Moment of the Year.
https://www.ntra.com/eclipse-awards/201 ... f-the-year.
There are, of course, many great races to vote for, but I chose the fire at San Luis Rey.


On a somewhat related note, a tweet from SoCal....

Bob Ike
‏@bobike1

Here's hoping https://twitter.com/BH_JBalan will get consideration for a special media Eclipse Award for his coverage of the SLR fire and its aftermath. Really great work.

https://twitter.com/bobike1/status/948931095835246592


Yes, truly great work by Mr. Balan. I also hope the barn workers get some sort of Eclipse recognition.
User avatar
Ridan_Remembered
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Re: Voting for NTRA 2017 Moment of the Year

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:52 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Geez, five of those moments have to do with people or horses dying. 2017 really was a horrible year.


Perhaps for that very reason, I voted for Lady Eli and her wonderful return from laminitis. That's an uplifting, hopeful story. Although I'm tempted to vote for Penny Chenery, Ben's Cat, and the SLR fire, I just couldn't vote for something sad.

In truth, I think the moment of the year was when those backstretch workers saved hundreds of horses by letting them out of their stalls.
User avatar
Ridan_Remembered
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:15 pm


Return to Racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests