Hong Kong Racing

Sparrow Castle

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:41 pm

Pakistan Star Passes Final Exam, Set for HK Gold Cup Comebacker
Pakistan Star (Ger) (Shamardal) handily defeated former Hong Kong Horse of the Year Werther (NZ) (Tavistock {NZ}) in a 1600-metre barrier trial at Sha Tin Racecourse Tuesday morning, the final hurdle ahead of a presumptive green light from the Hong Kong Jockey Club for a return to racing in the G1 Citi Hong Kong Gold Cup (2000m) Sunday week.

As has been well documented, the ‘TDN Rising Star‘ pulled himself up when heavily favoured in the G3 Premier Plate H. last June and again in an October trial, earning himself a ban from the local stewards after stopping at the same spot on the track each time. The Tony Cruz trainee was ‘sentenced’ to a spell and would only be allowed to return if able to prove that he was over his antics. Having successfully completed a pair of jump-outs, Pakistan Star defeated stable companion Romantic Touch (Aus) (Northern Meteor {Aus}) in a Feb. 6 barrier trial and Tuesday’s specially arranged heat was to be his final hurdle.

Drawn gate five in a field of six, Pakistan Star–who has had his fair share of issues in the stalls–jumped without incident once again and settled in second, just off the flank of Werther, the G1 Longines Hong Kong Cup runner-up who will face Pakistan Star in the Gold Cup. Shaken up by Joao Moreira with a quarter mile to travel, the bay quickened up nicely through a final 400m in :22.3 and pulled away to score by 3 1/2 lengths (video). Last-out G1 Stewards’ Cup hero Seasons Bloom (Aus) (Captain Sonador {Aus}) ran on well for third and will stretch out to the mile and a quarter for the Gold Cup.
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/pa ... comebacker
Northport

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:14 pm

Glad he got the green light to come back. He is such a quirky bugger, but regardless of whether he decides to run or not, his races are always entertaining.
weeeeeeeee
Sparrow Castle

Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:17 pm

Pakistan Star rises at last with brilliant APQEII Cup victory
Hong Kong’s wayward son came of age at Sha Tin this afternoon (Sunday, 29 April), and oh, how the crowd loved it. Pakistan Star smashed his rivals in the G1 Audemars Piguet Queen Elizabeth II Cup (2000m) with a performance of uncomplicated superiority.

“He’s blown them all away,” trainer Tony Cruz said after the five-year-old had surged to a three-length victory in a fast time of 2m 00.21s, the second-fastest, in fact, in 22 renewals at the race’s current distance.

The Sha Tin faithful – never shy in displaying their ire, as Pakistan Star knows only too well – this time gave the Shamardal gelding a roaring reception. William Buick, a late call-up for the ride, lapped every cheer as he and the green-hooded hero returned to unsaddle.

Buick replaced Australian Kerrin McEvoy – laid low with an ear infection at Hawkesbury races on Saturday – who was booked after first choice Silvestre de Sousa was required to remain in England.

“I obviously feel sorry for Kerrin McEvoy, it was his intended ride and I’m just lucky to jump on him,” Buick said of the 4.8 chance. “I’m very fortunate that I got the ride and it was a very nice surprise for me when I landed in Hong Kong.

“He’s showed his class today, he was very straightforward through the race, got a beautiful run and the only thing going through my mind was if the split was going to come or not. As soon as it came he was fast to go in there and won very well, he felt like a very fast horse.”
More: http://campaigns.hkjc.com/qeii-cup/en/n ... up-victory
Al Ain finished 5th.
RugbyGirl

Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:10 am

Some of the best horses in Hong Kong will step out in a pair of G2 races tomorrow including Pakistan Star, Werther, Beauty Generation, Ivictory, Mr Stunning and Hot King Prawn

Jockey Karis Teetan says Pakistan Stars issues are long gone
https://www.scmp.com/sport/racing/artic ... -his-first
Ask me any questions you have about New Zealand and Australia racing
RugbyGirl

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:38 pm

The International races are in Hong Kong this Sunday but the International Jockeys challenge will provide a nice starter on Wednesday night. The jockeys are:
Mickael Barcelona - France
Hugh Bowman - Aus
Javier Castellano - Usa
Silvestre de Sousa - Britain
Colin Keane - Ireland
Christophe Lemaire - Japan
Ryan Moore - Britain
Zac Purton - Hong Kong
Yutaka Take - Japan
Karis Teetan - Hong Kong
Vincent Ho -Hong Kong
Matthew Poon - Hong Kong
lurkey mclurker

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:13 am

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah Lys Gracieux just second by a head in the HKVase, she fought for it every step of the way in the stretch but Exultant fought back and kept his head in front.

Love this filly. <3
Sparrow Castle

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:33 am

Pakistan Star had a brutal trip. Nice to see Eziyra get third.
lurkey mclurker

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:43 am

Waiting for the Sprint, one of the commentators just said that Mirage Dancer suffered "a heart irregularity" - hoping that doesn't mean what I'm afraid it means... :?
Sparrow Castle

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:45 am

I'm hoping Mr Stunning turns the table in the Sprint.

Hope Mirage Dancer is okay.
Sparrow Castle

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:50 am

Mr Stunning, he's the man!
lurkey mclurker

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:53 am

So cute to see these young trainers so excited about their horses' victories. :mrgreen:
Sparrow Castle

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:58 am

Yep. The jockey too. Mr Stunning looks a lot like his sire, Exceed and Excel (who I adore). Even his good temperament seems similar.
lurkey mclurker

Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:03 am

I'm not going to make the other two races live, I need to sleep... so I will just wish them safe trips and exciting finishes and continue to hope that Mirage Dancer is/will be okay. <3
Sparrow Castle

Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:05 am

Yep, past bedtime. Hoping for the best for Mirage Dancer. Don't see anything on Twitter yet.
RugbyGirl

Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:45 am

Mirage Dancer has had a heart issue
http://live.drf.com/nuggets/46393-mirag ... -kong-vase
lurkey mclurker

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:05 pm

I got an error message at that link, so I tracked it via Hersch at DRF instead:
Marcus Hersh , 2018-12-09 - DRF Live Posted : 4hrs 28mins ago
Mirage Dancer afflicted by atrial fibrillation in Hong Kong Vase
Mirage Dancer, beaten more than 40 lengths in the Hong Kong Vase, was found to have atrial fibrilliation, an irregular heartbeat, after the race, according to Sarah Denniff, travelling head lass for trainer Michael Stoute.

Denniff said Mirage Dancer was "quite distressed" immediately after the race but by 6:00 his condition had improved to the extent he was comfortable in his stall and eating his feed. His heartbeat was not yet normal, Denniff said, but it was hoped the condition would resolve itself within 24 hours.
Thank goodness it sounds like he's on the mend... I was really worried.
Sparrow Castle

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:11 pm

I'm glad Mirage Dancer's afib is resolving. Wonder what this means for his racing future though.
lurkey mclurker

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:22 pm

Tracking down the last two results:

Beauty Generation in the HK Mile, Vivlos a very game second for Japan in her final career start; Persian Knight was 5th & Mozu Ascot was 7th

Glorious Forever in the HK Cup by a length over Deirdre; Sungrazer was 4th & Staphanos finished last although only abt five lengths off the winner, it was quite a bunch at the end

replay links:

HK Vase: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVwitw0IkT8
HK Sprint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aRw9UzSWTo
HK Mile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGmdaMO6JZ0
HK Cup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3vcfqJQn-o
lurkey mclurker

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:27 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:11 pm
I'm glad Mirage Dancer's afib is resolving. Wonder what this means for his racing future though.
I was wondering the same... Given it's cardiac in nature and he was "quite distressed"... I'm not a vet or a steward but I would imagine he's done. It sounds like the afib was a lot more than just palpitations, you know? And I'm not sure how they would manage it, if there are equivalent medications to normalize the heartbeat like in people. I don't think there's ever been a horse fitted for a pacemaker...?? And even then, the meds might be considered illegal substance, etc.

IMO it shouldn't even be a question, he should be retired. God forbid he had a full cardiac arrest in the middle of training or a race and went down, that's unacceptable risk for everyone involved. :(

I hope it does resolve itself and it's something they will be able to manage for him in retirement.
Sparrow Castle

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:52 pm

Pat Cummings@PatCummingsTIF
3h3 hours ago
William Buick banned six weeks with reckless riding charge from HK Vase. First I recall that charge applied in last four years...