Arabian Race added to Breeders' Cup program

With Anticipation

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:04 pm

The Breeders’ Cup today announced that it has executed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Emirates Equestrian Federation (EEF) towards the formation of a long-term business partnership between the two organizations. This new relationship will begin with a purebred Arabian race to be contested at this year’s Breeders’ Cup World Championships at Santa Anita Park.

The President of the UAE Cup, for purebred Arabian horses, will be held on the Friday, November 1 program.

http://www.breederscup.com/article/bree ... artnership
serenassong

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:15 pm

I do love to watch the Arabs run, with their tails streaming behind them- but to the eye they look slow with the action of a TB.

As an aside, nothing is funnier than watching the mule races and sometimes hearing them bray as they come down the lane and those ears. :D
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
Little Watermelon

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:45 pm

Who says the Breeders Cup honchos don't listen to what the fans want? Finally, the clamor for an Arabian race in the Breeders Cup program has been heard and voila.
Somnambulist

Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:51 pm

Now I definitely need to take off work.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Miss Woodford

Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:29 pm

A much better idea would be for Arabians to have their own Breeders' Cup style event (like the Breeders Crown for harness horses) at Delaware or something, with races for the mares, juveniles, sprinters and stayers too. Maybe a week or two before the TB Breeders Cup. Get some of that sheikh money to boost the purses, advertise it well, and it would "sell" Arabian racing far better than a single race that most bettors will purposely ignore.
tranquilo

Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:53 pm

Miss Woodford wrote:A much better idea would be for Arabians to have their own Breeders' Cup style event (like the Breeders Crown for harness horses) at Delaware or something, with races for the mares, juveniles, sprinters and stayers too. Maybe a week or two before the TB Breeders Cup. Get some of that sheikh money to boost the purses, advertise it well, and it would "sell" Arabian racing far better than a single race that most bettors will purposely ignore.
They used to have a Breeder's Cup type event called the Arabian Racing Cup every fall at Delaware, but the program was unable to continue putting it on anymore so the last one was in 2007. There was also an Arabian Triple Crown that went away when Los Alamitos stopped running Arabians. I know that the reasons have everything to do with money, but it's still pretty cool that the major TB meets are giving Arabian racing some spotlight that will expose it to thousands of new fans. I'm sure some will be unhappy about it, but as an Arabian breeder I'm pretty excited...Arabian racing on the same card as the Dubai World Cup, the Arc, and the Breeder's Cup...pretty neat.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:16 pm

* The Sheikhs are providing the money (and, I'm sure, some "pressure"), so their request that the BC add this race is being granted. I'm pleased, because my first love was Arabians, and watching them run is delightful...you just have to ignore the timer. ;)
* In some ways, I guess you could say the noble little breed is also the first love for the Arabian Peninsula rulers. The horse was, and still is, revered in the lands of its origin. I believe some of the noted TB operations, like Darley, have breeding farms and racing stables devoted to the breed.
arkle

Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:25 pm

I don't think any of these races are ther for the "fans'. I think it's more of a sop to all the big name Arab owners in world racing these days.
I believe the one on Arc day is a condition of the sponsors, the nation of Qatar.
BlindLucky

Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:13 pm

They ran this at Churchill Downs in June. So I guess they'll just have two winners for 2013?
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Flanders

Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:27 pm

BlindLucky wrote:They ran this at Churchill Downs in June. So I guess they'll just have two winners for 2013?
Oddly enough it looks like all the races in this series have the same name.
http://www.presidentscup.ae/en/
BlindLucky

Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:32 pm

Ahh, gotcha. I saw an edition of this at Pimlico in 2012, so just assumed they only ran one per year. Makes more sense if they consider it a series at rotating locales.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
islandgirl45

Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:23 pm

Well. Looks like Jay Hovdey isn't a fan. ;)

http://www.drf.com/blogs/lawrence-arcadia
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
~President Dwight Eisenhower
tranquilo

Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:44 pm

Bumped for the race today. :) It will be run as race 11 after the Distaff. I'm pretty excited especially to see the Euro shipper No Problem al Maury. I only wish last year's HOY Valiant Boy was in the race, but he hasn't run since July for whatever reason.

President of the UAE Cup (G1)
$150,000, 3YO+, 1 1/16 miles
1. Sergeant Pepper MHF (TX) 6/1
(5YO gelding, Amazing Son x Shippey Lane, by Haffir el Rimal)
2. Lucky Sand (MS) 12/1
(3YO colt, Burning Sand x Vague de Gemme, by Baco du Cassou)
3. Al Waed (TX) 12/1
(5YO horse, Kador de Blaziet x Cassels Naomi, by Brusally Zbruenu++)
4. Litle Bit (FL) 15/1
(5YO mare, Burning Sand x Halianna, by ZT Ali Baba+/)
5. No Problem al Maury (FR) 10/1
(5YO horse, Dormane x Nemosie al Maury, by Kesberoy)
6. Grilla (FL) 4/1
(7YO horse, Kong x Dixie Darlene, by Wiking)
7. Ayers (FL) 10/1
(7YO horse, Burning Sand x BW Ali Catt, by ZT Ali Baba+/)
8. NC Casey Jones (TX) 15/1
(10YO horse, Makzan x Shes The Most, by MHF Eclipse)
9. Smoke House (FL) 4/1
(4YO gelding, Kaolino x Smokey Rose, by K A Czubuthan)
10. MS Dixie (FL) 12/1
(5YO mare, Burning Sand x Dixie Darlene, by Wiking)
11. So Big Is Better (VA) 12/1
(9YO horse, Burning Sand x WW Mirror Image, by ZT Ali Baba+/)
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:53 pm

I'm pretty sure that NBCSN will be done with their coverage by then, and I would bet you a pretty penny that neither of the horse racing networks will show the race...maybe because it may be a non-wagering event.
I hate that the suits at TVG assume that their viewers and customers wouldn't want to watch a stakes race if it can't be wagered on...as though bettors couldn't POSSIBLY enjoy watching a race just for, y'know, the beauty and sport of it.
:evil:
Miss Woodford

Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:22 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I'm pretty sure that NBCSN will be done with their coverage by then, and I would bet you a pretty penny that neither of the horse racing networks will show the race...maybe because it may be a non-wagering event.
I hate that the suits at TVG assume that their viewers and customers wouldn't want to watch a stakes race if it can't be wagered on...as though bettors couldn't POSSIBLY enjoy watching a race just for, y'know, the beauty and sport of it.
:evil:
Of course it's a wagering event, and HRTV will show it just as they've shown the other President of the UAE Cup events.

Burning Sand is the sire of 5 of the 11 horses in the field. Talk about dominance (also, this is what happens when you let AI in racehorse breeding)
Delamont

Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:34 pm

All I have is Tvg and NBC.... :(
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:37 pm

Thanks for the correction, MissW...maybe TVG will show the race then. :)
tranquilo

Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:04 pm

HRTV usually does do a good job showing the big US Arabian races so today should be no different. It might get overshadowed by the BC excitement today but I'm sure it will be shown.

I'm not sure Burning Sand's dominance is because of AI, I think he only has about 200 foals total which is obviously as much as some TB sires produce in a single year breeding live cover. There just aren't a lot of people breeding Arabian racehorses anymore, and those that are gravitate to Burning Sand because there's just no stallion in the US that comes close to him. He's been the #1 sire by a huge margin for the last 8 years. I'm sure if AHA went back to live cover he'd get the same amount of mares. But AI does mean he could continue to produce via frozen and stay the dominant sire even after he passes away...as incredible as his stud career has been, I wouldn't mind seeing some new diverse blood that can really compete with him.
tranquilo

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:12 pm

They're on the track! Not surprised speedy Grilla is the favorite on this track. So Big Is Better is also speedy and in good form at 11/1. No Problem al Maury looks fantastic.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:15 pm

And TVG is ignoring this race..lots of commercials and rehash of the Distaff...no race from Santa Anita. It's the teeny calracing.com window for me. :(