Racing History: Kincsem: Mystery & Majesty

Re: Racing History: Kincsem: Mystery & Majesty

Postby Blue Jeans » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:53 pm

No wonder this story is such a great read! The story is written by Abigail Anderson, who posts at Blood-Horse and is known be a wonderful writer. Cheers to Ms. Anderson! I loved this story ... and beautifully written. Far better than anything I've read before on Kincsem, "Precious".

I should have read about the author before reading the article. :roll:

http://thevaulthorseracing.wordpress.com/about/
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. ~ Cowboy saying

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers
Blue Jeans

Postby Catalina » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:55 pm

Fascinating read, thanks!!!
Catalina

Postby Miss Woodford » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:31 pm

It's unfortunate that since she didn't race in the so-called "modern era" (whatever that means) she often goes unnoticed. Hardly any articles written about Black Caviar's "record" bothered to mention that Kincsem has more than double the victories. It seems like most people think Kincsem was just beating up on random Hungarian horses when in fact she did everything that modern champions are expected to do and then some.

Here's her complete race record (minus a few names of 2nd/3rd place finishers, etc.)
http://www.galopp-sieger.de/galoppsiege ... mCambuscan
Miss Woodford

Postby THE VAULT_Abigail » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:00 pm

Thank you to everyone for these fabulous comments! I just loved researching & writing KINCSEM's story. What a GREAT, great thoroughbred she was! And it's very gratifying to know that you share my enthusiasm for Kincsem.
THE VAULT_Abigail

Postby Secretariatluvr » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:30 pm

Great article! She was an amazing racehorse.
Secretariatluvr

Postby shortlead » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:11 am

I first read about, and fell in love with Kincsem when I read the book, More Than Courage by Lois Eby...WAY back when I was a little kid. The race where she decided to crop some grass before joining in was mentioned in the book. Any one else read this? Lots of neat stories there.
Give me that short lead, give me that win by a nose, get them all home safely!
shortlead

Postby Kay16 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:38 pm

Miss Woodford wrote:It's unfortunate that since she didn't race in the so-called "modern era" (whatever that means) she often goes unnoticed. Hardly any articles written about Black Caviar's "record" bothered to mention that Kincsem has more than double the victories. It seems like most people think Kincsem was just beating up on random Hungarian horses when in fact she did everything that modern champions are expected to do and then some.

Here's her complete race record (minus a few names of 2nd/3rd place finishers, etc.)
http://www.galopp-sieger.de/galoppsiege ... mCambuscan

She raced SO long ago, it's hard for us to get a handle on how good she really was. Can't blame those who rank her #1 and can't blame those who don't put her in their ranks at all.
Kay16

Previous

Return to Racing