Other Racing: Quarters, Harness, Jumps

Re: Other Racing: Quarters, Harness, Jumps

Postby Diver52 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:20 pm

serenassong wrote:Super Derby Finals pushed back to conduct hair follicle tests for possible doping
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-b ... ualifiers/

"Dr. Edward Allred, owner of Los Alamitos race course in Southern California, has taken the extraordinary measure of postponing the finals of the estimated $1-million Quarter horse Super Derby from Nov. 1 to Nov. 15 because of suspicions over the outcome of the Oct 12 trials, when a relatively unknown trainer named Eloy Navarro sent out eight of the 10 fastest qualifiers."

Wow. I must have watched most of the trials but missed that. If there was anything fishy, the guy would have done better just to send out one or two horses--or once he'd qualified his best, told the riders of the others to break slow or something!
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Diver52

Postby Diver52 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:10 am

Anybody know why the Golden State Million at Los Al was a nonwagering event? I must have dozed off. . .
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Diver52

Postby Flanders » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:38 am

Diver52 wrote:Anybody know why the Golden State Million at Los Al was a nonwagering event? I must have dozed off. . .

http://www.aqha.com/Racing/News-Articles/Golden-State-Futurity-to-be-Run-as-Non-Wagering-Event.aspx

They don't really say, just that it was going to be run that way.
Flanders

Postby Diver52 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:44 am

Hmm, thanks.
Diver52

Postby Flanders » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:47 am

Diver52 wrote:Hmm, thanks.

It almost sounded like they didn't trust the results from the trials and the hair test results aren't back yet, so they ran it as a non-wagering event because of that.
Flanders

Postby Diver52 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:56 am

I thought that was the Super Derby
but maybe the plague has spread. Again, thanks. I find the Quarters just the thing for vinous evenings with a plate of bread and cheese, but I do tend to miss things. :oops:
Diver52

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:07 pm

Doc Allred is so serious about keeping drug-aided horses from winning his stakes races that he has taken an even more drastic step....he's cancelled The Champion of Champions. :o
Los Alamitos Race Course has cancelled the 2014 Champion of Champions. The historic classic, first run in 1972, has usually determined World Championship honors. It was felt by track management that for several reasons this year’s edition of the race would not draw a representative field of horses from the nations leading quarter horse tracks.
Los Alamitos track owner, Ed Allred, stated that “the major quarter horse tracks and the American Quarter Horse Association need to standardize and enforce regulations prohibiting clenbuterol and its analogues”.

Read more: http://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-b ... champions/
BaroqueAgain1

Postby PJMIII » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:25 am

Harness: Breeders Crown rapidly approaching

There are winners and losers in every race, but heading into this year’s Breeders Crown (eliminations slated for November 14 & 15) victories will have a different meaning. That’s because many divisional races remain wide open and sure things in August now appear to be holding on by a thread.

http://www.drf.com/news/harness-breeder ... pproaching
PJMIII

Postby PJMIII » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:42 am

Harness: Ron Burke passes Todd Pletcher as single-season earnings leader

Trainer Ron Burke had already re-written the record books in Harness Racing and now he stands atop the leaderboard across all breeds in single-season earnings. On Friday (12/12) he surpassed the $28,116,097 mark set by Thoroughbred trainer Todd Pletcher in 2007.

http://www.drf.com/news/harness-ron-bur ... ngs-leader
PJMIII

Postby BlindLucky » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:02 pm

PJMIII wrote:Harness: Ron Burke passes Todd Pletcher as single-season earnings leader

Trainer Ron Burke had already re-written the record books in Harness Racing and now he stands atop the leaderboard across all breeds in single-season earnings. On Friday (12/12) he surpassed the $28,116,097 mark set by Thoroughbred trainer Todd Pletcher in 2007.

http://www.drf.com/news/harness-ron-bur ... ngs-leader

I'll be honest, I didn't know there was that much money in harness racing. But I guess if you have 5,000 starts in a year and you've won 20% of those, that's a good bit of change.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BlindLucky

PreviousNext

Return to Racing