Beldame Inv. (G1)

racehorsewriter

Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:47 pm

That was absolutely wonderful to watch. Didn't expect it, but wonderful all the same. Princess has bloomed into quite a racehorse. Will be interesting to see if she goes to the Distaff...
Rick1323

Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:57 pm

Curious if Princess will run in the Classic. Race seems perfect for her......
Everyone come home sound.....
ElPrado2

Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:58 pm

I wonder how many times her owner has said that he will not ship her to California.
Flanders

Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:06 pm

"I don't think that's a question we can answer right now," Pletcher said in reference to the Distaff. "We need two or three more weeks to sort that out."
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... in-beldame
second_glance

Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:27 pm

ElPrado2 wrote:I wonder how many times her owner has said that he will not ship her to California.
He backed off that a bit today. Said he'd let Pletcher decide.
Ioya Two

Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:28 pm

I hope she does go, it would make a loaded Distaff all that much more exciting. I understand why they wouldn't, she's already sewn up 3yo filly champion. But at the same time, why not?
Pulpit 1994-2012
mimi6920

Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:32 pm

Strategically, it may be a good move to not run in the Distaff. If Princess runs in the Distaff and Beholder beats her, Beholder could very well claim the eclipse for three year old filly. At this point, Princess has the championship sewn up, but a clear loss to Beholder may throw the division up in the air.
BlindLucky

Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:42 pm

There's also the fact that she's not BC nominated, so it's a pretty penny to enter her even though she won a win and you're in. She'd have to supplement for about $180k, and who knows if they want to do that on top of not really wanting to ship in the first place.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Flanders

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:07 pm

BlindLucky wrote:There's also the fact that she's not BC nominated, so it's a pretty penny to enter her even though she won a win and you're in. She'd have to supplement for about $180k, and who knows if they want to do that on top of not really wanting to ship in the first place.
They changed how supplements work. It would be $100k, which is still a lot of money but would be nominated forever.
BC Horses of Racing Age Nominations
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:14 pm

She's had a fairly long campaign already this year (6 or 7 races? Not sure), so it may come down to how she recovers from this race. If her connections choose to rest her now and bring her back next year, fresh and not wrung out, I could support that decision.
We've seen what happens when a filly puts out a top effort in one race too many (RA, anyone), so I'd rather see them err on the side of caution, if they are planning to bring her back as a four-year-old.
second_glance

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:20 pm

BlindLucky wrote:There's also the fact that she's not BC nominated, so it's a pretty penny to enter her even though she won a win and you're in. She'd have to supplement for about $180k, and who knows if they want to do that on top of not really wanting to ship in the first place.
Really don't think it's the money. But as Stanco said, she's been in training for 18 months. She's on the small side and runs hard every time out. And he seems to think shipping across country would be hard on her. Bottom line: He doesn't want to compromise her for next year.

But he did say he will pay attention to Pletcher's assessment.
Curlin

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:26 pm

second_glance wrote:
Really don't think it's the money. But as Stanco said, she's been in training for 18 months. She's on the small side and runs hard every time out. And he seems to think shipping across country would be hard on her. Bottom line: He doesn't want to compromise her for next year.

But he did say he will pay attention to Pletcher's assessment.
At first I didn't like the idea of her skipping the BC, but during his interview today, Stanco was genuinely concerned about taking her across the country after campaigning for such an extended period of time. And who can fault an owner for wanting to bring his horse back as an older horse, giving her a rest after a sterling 3 year old season? He won me over, though as a fan it would have been great to see Royal Delta, Beholder and Princess of Sylmar duke it out in the stretch at SA.
mimi6920

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:31 pm

It would make a great race, but I would rather her get a rest and come back as a stellar four year old. I don't want her to be burned out. It has been a long campaign.
second_glance

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:36 pm

Curlin wrote:
At first I didn't like the idea of her skipping the BC, but during his interview today, Stanco was genuinely concerned about taking her across the country after campaigning for such an extended period of time. And who can fault an owner for wanting to bring his horse back as an older horse, giving her a rest after a sterling 3 year old season? He won me over, though as a fan it would have been great to see Royal Delta, Beholder and Princess of Sylmar duke it out in the stretch at SA.
Me too.

From Tim Wilkins via Twitter:

Ed Stanco, Princess of Sylmar's owner, was asked if he thought he owed it to racing fans to take her to the Breeders' Cup. "Maybe."

"The tradeoff is not the fans, it's the filly," Stanco said. "I don't want to overextend her. She is a gift, she is a blessing."
second_glance

Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:32 pm

105 BSF
Miss Woodford

Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:24 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:She's had a fairly long campaign already this year (6 or 7 races? Not sure), so it may come down to how she recovers from this race. If her connections choose to rest her now and bring her back next year, fresh and not wrung out, I could support that decision.
We've seen what happens when a filly puts out a top effort in one race too many (RA, anyone), so I'd rather see them err on the side of caution, if they are planning to bring her back as a four-year-old.
:shock: Is this sarcasm? 7 races is a "fairly long campaign"?
I disagree that Rachel's abbreviated 4yo season (in which she finished no worse than 2nd) is due to her racing *gasp* 8 times the previous year. Maybe the whole will-they-won't-they match race not-training-yes-training fiasco leading up to the New Orlean's Ladies had more of an effect. Or maybe she was simply past her peak. In any case the Princess hasn't faced males three times, nor older males, nor has she had a two-week break in between major G1s, nor has she travelled from Arkansas to Louisiana to Arkansas to Kentucky to Maryland to New York to New Jersey to New York in a season without any real "breaks" in the schedule.
I think as good as Princess of Sylmar has been she's got even more talent than we've yet seen, and thus I think she's the best 3yo filly to come along since Rachel Alexandra. If she is in fact "wrung out" at this point then she doesn't deserve that title.
Kay16

Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:58 am

Princess definitely ran a heck of a race. Delta didn't look as good as her past two out there, not making excuses but from Mott and Smiths comments and the way she looked, I don't think that was her A race. She looked a little more flat, especially in the early going, not tugging Smith like she usually does. And watching the JCGC, don't think "speed" was the place to be, laying off the front runners was the place. I'm not near as surprised as some are by the result. Delta has proven beatable, and Princess was going to prove she's either seriously the real deal or just a filly picking up the pieces of the division falling apart. Todd had her primed for this, not sure Mott did as he said they eased up on her training because the "big one" is next, and this was Princess's Distaff..well for now. Princess is definitely the 3 year old filly champ, and a deserving one. Beholder winning the Distaff still wouldn't be enough considering Princess already beat her in the Oaks.
Last edited by Kay16 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kay16

Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:59 am

Flanders

Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:07 am

Miss Woodford wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:She's had a fairly long campaign already this year (6 or 7 races? Not sure), so it may come down to how she recovers from this race. If her connections choose to rest her now and bring her back next year, fresh and not wrung out, I could support that decision.

I think as good as Princess of Sylmar has been she's got even more talent than we've yet seen, and thus I think she's the best 3yo filly to come along since Rachel Alexandra. If she is in fact "wrung out" at this point then she doesn't deserve that title.
She has had 8 starts this year and 10 starts without a break. She's been in training for well over a year and her owner feels she deserves a break. The key word is deserves. She is far from "wrung out". I wont be surprised if she shows up at the Breeders Cup though.
Kay16

Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:34 am

Flanders wrote:
Miss Woodford wrote:

She has had 8 starts this year and 10 starts without a break. She's been in training for well over a year and her owner feels she deserves a break. The key word is deserves. She is far from "wrung out". I wont be surprised if she shows up at the Breeders Cup though.
She should, a lot can happen in a year.