Zenyatta Stakes (G1)

Re: Zenyatta Stakes (G1)

Postby dustino140 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:17 pm

Flanders wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I lovelovelove Zenyatta, but...this race should still be the Lady's Secret, IMO.
:roll:
If Beholder is on her game, everyone else is running for second.

The renaming of ALL the stakes was stupid. I find the Awesome Again the most puzzling though, considering the horse never even RAN at Santa Anita.

It's puzzling the a race held at a Stronach-owned track is named after a Stronach-bred & Stronach-owned horse that currently stands at a Stronach-owned breeding facility?
dustino140

Postby Flanders » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:45 am

dustino140 wrote:
Flanders wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I lovelovelove Zenyatta, but...this race should still be the Lady's Secret, IMO.
:roll:
If Beholder is on her game, everyone else is running for second.

The renaming of ALL the stakes was stupid. I find the Awesome Again the most puzzling though, considering the horse never even RAN at Santa Anita.

It's puzzling the a race held at a Stronach-owned track is named after a Stronach-bred & Stronach-owned horse that currently stands at a Stronach-owned breeding facility?

Oh, I understand WHY its named after him. Its just that generally, a race isn't named after a horse that hasn't set foot on the track its held at. Let's be honest too, Awesome Again was a good horse, but I don't think he was good enough to have a G1 race named after him when there are way more deserving horses. The Ghostzapper would have been a better name, at least he raced at Santa Anita.
Flanders

Postby carole » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:15 am

Oh, I understand WHY its named after him. Its just that generally, a race isn't named after a horse that hasn't set foot on the track its held at. Let's be honest too, Awesome Again was a good horse, but I don't think he was good enough to have a G1 race named after him when there are way more deserving horses. The Ghostzapper would have been a better name, at least he raced at Santa Anita.

Exactly, for example Rachel Alexandra only has a GIII.
carole

Postby General Assembly » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:38 am

Awesome Again was a vastly underrated race horse who came along at a time loaded with good horses. He not only won probably the toughest edition of the Breeders Cup Classic, but he took the Queens Plate, the Stephen Foster, the Whitney, The Jim Dandy and several other races. He's also turned out to be a top sire. That being said, I still don't like the race being named after him. I would've opted for naming it after Seabiscuit. He not only was a major factor at Santa Anita during its early days, but his name is actually recognizable by the general public.
General Assembly

Postby Flanders » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:18 pm

Beholder
Authenticity
Joyful Victory
Flanders

Postby Curlin » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:20 pm

Ok, I take back what I said in the Beldame thread. That was a WOW performance over (save Royal Delta) a better field than the Beldame.
Curlin

Postby mimi6920 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:29 pm

The three year old fillies are just amazing this year. Puts the 1-2 finish in the Kentucky Oaks in perspective.
mimi6920

Postby Ioya Two » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:31 pm

Curlin wrote:Ok, I take back what I said in the Beldame thread. That was a WOW performance over (save Royal Delta) a better field than the Beldame.

That may be true, but even if Princess goes, and Beholder wins, I'd still give it to Princess of Sylmar. Her body of work this year has been more impressive, IMO. Even if she finishes 2nd.
Pulpit 1994-2012
Ioya Two

Postby Somnambulist » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:23 pm

I don't know how ya'll have the energy to think that far ahead. I'm just wondering about the baby stakes at Belmont tomorrow.

Beholder's a very classy filly. It's nice to see that that crop that was so highly regarded was able to live up to expectations after it seemingly fell apart at the seams not too long ago.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby dustino140 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:47 pm

Pletcher horses weren't kind to him at the gate today. Authenticity ran a heck of a race all things considered. Awesome job by Beholder, too. Distaff is going to be fun.
dustino140

PreviousNext

Return to Racing