Suffolk Downs ... not dead yet?

Post Reply
WaquoitNBroadBrush
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:37 pm

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/bu ... _downs_bid

The horsemen looking to lease Suffolk for racing have brought back a familiar name as the architect of their plan -- Lou Raffetto, who was so instrumental in Jim Moseley's revival of the track in 1992.
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1266
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:01 pm

Interesting. If I had to place a bet right now, I'd say they will be racing at Suffolk again...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
User avatar
dustino140
Posts: 5206
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:51 pm

Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:01 pm

Why continue to try to revive something that has proven to not be economically viable? For the sake of embracing and preserving its decadent past? Because the racing product they've put out in the last decade is terrible and the fans in Boston have proven they won't give the races a second glance. There's no point in reviving something that isn't worth saving and the only reasons anyone seems to want to save Suffolk are job loss and history. The job loss sucks and you hate to see that happen. I get that. But bringing back a C level track like this, IMO, is detrimental to the industry, which is begging to be downsized to get back on track. Foal crops are down, wagering is stagnant...for the good of horse racing I think it may be time to trim the fat to preserve the product. Bring it back in 2015 and a year from now we'll be having the same conversation.
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1266
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:48 pm

WarBiscuit wrote:Interesting. If I had to place a bet right now, I'd say they will be racing at Suffolk again...

WarBiscuit
I win the bet. We'll have a million persons colony on Mars before Suffolk Downs dies.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... ng-in-2018


WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Tessablue
Posts: 3412
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:21 pm

Nah, it's dead after 2018. Pains me to say it but there's not much hope left and everyone knows it. Still, I'm so glad they were able to put together these festivals before it dies for good. Weather was terrible on Saturday but it was worth it to stand in the rain and cheer for Chaotic Bull along with his owner/trainer and a bunch of railbirds. Next year is going to be tough.

And I'm glad that article makes mention of their safety record... Suffolk always had one of the lowest injury rates in the country and they deserve a lot of credit for putting together eight absolutely flawless days of racing this year.
WaquoitNBroadBrush
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:41 pm

I made it up there for two of the racing days this year, in July and early September. Had a great time both days.

I kind of wish they'd just close the place down after that final Sunday of live racing next year, whenever it is, and send the old joint off in style, with good racing and a big crowd. But they'll be licensed to simulcast through the end of the calendar year, so that most likely means a slow winding down until the doors close sometime on New Year's Eve, with only the few hundred nighttime simulcast regulars rattling around the clubhouse. Of course, Chip Tuttle is saying they'd like to get Massachusetts' law changed so they can continue to offer simulcasting after 2018, either in a section of the old building or some off-track structure, but the lawmakers have been unfriendly to the idea of allowing betting anywhere but a racetrack that has live dates, so that might not be easy to accomplish.

Then again, I noticed that ATMs are back in the building after a long absence, so the Legislature must have changed that law -- probably at the behest of Steve Wynn and MGM, facing the prospect of casinos with no ATMs if the law (no ATMs where there's gambling, except for Lottery locations in stores and restaurants) didn't change.
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1266
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Wed May 23, 2018 11:43 am

Looks like a glimmer of hope for New England racing?

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... airgrounds


WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WaquoitNBroadBrush
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Wed May 23, 2018 7:44 pm

Of course, this has little to do with horse racing. The Suffolk people want to still be relevant should the state legislature pass sports gambling legislation. The problem, of course, is whether sports betting will be available to them under the same rules that simulcasting now is -- that is, a certain number of live races must be held on-site. That will be a big challenge if the track is plowed under at this time next year and construction of condos, hotels or Amazon headquarters has begun. Will running races at the other end of the state and piping them back to East Boston be acceptable? Time will tell. Remember, this is Massachusetts. As I've opined several times previous, for anything to go smoothly when it comes to horse racing would be very un-Massachusetts.
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Wed May 23, 2018 10:08 pm

I honestly cannot believe the amount of people I know going to Monmouth this weekend. Mostly thinking because it's a spectacle. I hope they're prepared. I feel very apprehensive about what legalized sports betting will do to racing but I can only hope for good.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
WaquoitNBroadBrush
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Wed May 23, 2018 10:38 pm

Somnambulist wrote:I honestly cannot believe the amount of people I know going to Monmouth this weekend. Mostly thinking because it's a spectacle. I hope they're prepared. I feel very apprehensive about what legalized sports betting will do to racing but I can only hope for good.
Are they going to launch sports betting there this weekend? I can't find anything online confirming any start date?
Tessablue
Posts: 3412
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Wed May 23, 2018 10:44 pm

Wait, does that article suggest that there will be racing at Suffolk in 2019? I hadn't heard anything about that and it would massively change my summer if it were true.

At this point they can't make me hope; I hit the acceptance stage last year and now it's just a waiting game.
WaquoitNBroadBrush
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Thu May 24, 2018 9:31 am

Tessablue wrote:Wait, does that article suggest that there will be racing at Suffolk in 2019? I hadn't heard anything about that and it would massively change my summer if it were true.
That surprised me, too. You'd think that they're just waiting for Amazon to decide, which I think is supposed to happen by September. Maybe another year will be needed before work can begin because of that wait.

I think the idea is to give Boston fans who can't get out to Great Barrington a taste of live racing, and if they can still use the Suffolk track and building for racing next year, why not?
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Thu May 24, 2018 10:05 am

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:I honestly cannot believe the amount of people I know going to Monmouth this weekend. Mostly thinking because it's a spectacle. I hope they're prepared. I feel very apprehensive about what legalized sports betting will do to racing but I can only hope for good.
Are they going to launch sports betting there this weekend? I can't find anything online confirming any start date?
It was announced on Dan Lebatard the other day which was where I heard it. I think Monmouth was prepared to start this as soon as it was legalized. I wonder how this will all end up panning out with Atlantic City, the tribes, etc.

Editing because apparently I was mis-informed.. I think it changed. Now sometimes in June.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
WaquoitNBroadBrush
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Thu May 24, 2018 8:51 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:I honestly cannot believe the amount of people I know going to Monmouth this weekend. Mostly thinking because it's a spectacle. I hope they're prepared. I feel very apprehensive about what legalized sports betting will do to racing but I can only hope for good.
Are they going to launch sports betting there this weekend? I can't find anything online confirming any start date?
It was announced on Dan Lebatard the other day which was where I heard it. I think Monmouth was prepared to start this as soon as it was legalized. I wonder how this will all end up panning out with Atlantic City, the tribes, etc.

Editing because apparently I was mis-informed.. I think it changed. Now sometimes in June.
The Connecticut tribal situation is interesting. Under the agreement that kicks back a substantial chunk of tribal gaming revenue to the state, the state agrees not to authorize to private entities any form of gambling offered at tribal casinos -- e.g., slots, poker, roulette. Off-track betting was grandfathered in, as it has existed in the state since the 1970s. Sports betting is a whole other animal. The tribes, legally, are sovereign nations, not part of Connecticut, and they do not offer sports betting in their casinos, as they have no agreements with the various sports entities. Federal law now enables states to authorize and offer sports betting -- but the tribal lands on which the casinos sit, at the Indians' own insistence, are not part of this state. So do the tribes have a legal right to block sports betting in Connecticut? We shall see. I'd imagine both sides are lawyering up right now!
Tessablue
Posts: 3412
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:01 pm

Looks like clear weather and two enormous racecards (nine races with 10+ horses on Sunday!) this weekend. Anyone going? I'm going to attempt a Belmont day trip on Saturday followed by a Suffolk trip on Sunday; only chance I've got this year unless they add more dates again. The things I do for this ridiculous track...
WaquoitNBroadBrush
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:42 pm

I'm shooting for Saturday. With good weather, good racing and a Triple Crown attempt in the Belmont to top everything off, the place ought to be packed. It's hard to believe that it will be all over by early August, isn't it? The track seems to have taken on a life of its own ever since its "imminent" demise was announced on that sad day in 2014. Hopefully, Great Barrington will keep a pulse going and somehow, someone with vision and deep pockets will find a place closer to Boston to build a facility and offer Suffolk's "ridiculously" loyal fans a race place to be proud of long into the future.
Tessablue
Posts: 3412
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:50 am

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:I'm shooting for Saturday. With good weather, good racing and a Triple Crown attempt in the Belmont to top everything off, the place ought to be packed. It's hard to believe that it will be all over by early August, isn't it? The track seems to have taken on a life of its own ever since its "imminent" demise was announced on that sad day in 2014. Hopefully, Great Barrington will keep a pulse going and somehow, someone with vision and deep pockets will find a place closer to Boston to build a facility and offer Suffolk's "ridiculously" loyal fans a race place to be proud of long into the future.
Cheers to that! Looks like the weather will be nice, hope you have a good one today.
Little Watermelon
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:27 am

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:14 am

Speaking of Suffolk, we own a tiny piece of a horse that was shipped to Suffolk Saturday and got beat at 1-5. Unfortunately, we were at Belmont. It would have been nice to be in Suffolk's cramped paddock, never been there.
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1266
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:47 pm

"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WaquoitNBroadBrush
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:26 am

WarBiscuit wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:47 pm
Back again in 2019?

www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/article ... in-in-2019


WarBiscuit
So it seems, but now the end is clearly in sight, as demolition of the barns and other backstretch elements will be starting around the end of July. With nowhere on site to accommodate horses and their handlers, no racing. From what I've heard, nothing has been done at the Great Barrington site yet, so 2020 would be the very earliest it could be ready.

I had this past Sunday circled on my calendar for weeks and made sure I was there for what I thought would be the absolute final day, but now it looks like I'll be circling some date next July. As I walked around the place for the umpteen hundredth (thousandth?) time since my first visit in 1972 and saw it alive with racing and betting and cheering and daddies hoisting daughters on shoulders for a look at the beautiful horses, all I could think of was the great headline on Jay Hovdey's article in the Racing Form last week on the track's long goodbye: "Suffolk rages at the dying of the light," and tried unsuccessfully to imagine what it will be like when the old joint is gone.
Post Reply