Dortmund

Somnambulist

Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:31 pm

Macaroni wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Victor was urging him to get up through traffic and run with the leader, in a bit of a duel. I wonder how he would do if the rider didn't go for the lead, and just let him settle mid-pack. Would he do better if he had more time to get that big body of his rolling?
This. This is exactly my thinking.
I think you need a turn of foot to get moving. Dortmund has always lacked that.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Horsebagger

Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:42 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Horsebagger wrote:where are all the 'Art Sherman is a good trainer' fans now?
While I agree that Sherman was the beneficiary of a bunch of women who could use hormone regulation, I'm not sure anyone was going to do anything with Dortmond.

If the juice couldn't why was an honest trainer?
He's 1 for 20 since January 1. Clock is ticking on when Shah takes the horses he gave him away. I don't see him as a patient guy while lacking results.
Macaroni

Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:42 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Macaroni wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Victor was urging him to get up through traffic and run with the leader, in a bit of a duel. I wonder how he would do if the rider didn't go for the lead, and just let him settle mid-pack. Would he do better if he had more time to get that big body of his rolling?
This. This is exactly my thinking.
I think you need a turn of foot to get moving. Dortmund has always lacked that.
This is true. I just think his large frame prevents him from having enough speed to really be competitive in the shorter (mile or less) races. He seems to be more competitive when he can use the speed he DOES have over more ground/time.
Macaroni

Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:43 pm

Horsebagger wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:
Horsebagger wrote:where are all the 'Art Sherman is a good trainer' fans now?
While I agree that Sherman was the beneficiary of a bunch of women who could use hormone regulation, I'm not sure anyone was going to do anything with Dortmond.

If the juice couldn't why was an honest trainer?
He's 1 for 20 since January 1. Clock is ticking on when Shah takes the horses he gave him away. I don't see him as a patient guy while lacking results.
Do you think Shah would be more likely to take away the horses he gave Sherman, or just chalk it up to a Dortmund problem, retire the big guy, and keep the other horses with Art?
CoronadosQuest

Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:45 pm

Wasn't Adorable one of the horses that Shah got mad at Baffert about? I see she has run 8th and 4th while being in Art's care.
Starine

Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:59 pm

I can't see Shah keeping his horses with Art long with these types of results. He doesn't strike me as the patient type.
Ziggypop

Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:22 pm

sweettalk wrote:no distance will help him. i don't care what his best or worst is, he didn't look happy to be racing. if this race had been longer, he'd have been further back.
I am more inclined to agree with you more than anything of the other's comments.
stark

Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:33 pm

Curtis wrote:
Macaroni wrote:Going to reiterate that I wish they'd stretch him out. He has pretty much proven that he does not perform well at a mile (and DOES perform well when going a little longer), so why keep throwing him into milers? Baffles me completely, but will hope to be surprised today.
So let's say you are training him. What spot specifically would you enter him?
According to the listed stakes schedule, today's 1 1/2 Tokyo City was an option, or the April 22nd G2 Californian at 1 1/8th for $200K. Otherwise the choices seem to be wait for Del Mar or ship somewhere with no guarantee of covering travel expenses.

I'm guessing that Alanart was hoping for a good showing then coming back in 3 weeks for the 3nup G2 event. Now what?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
blamethewinner

Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:04 pm

So an ouchy, problematic horse went to a vastly inferior trainer and has fallen apart? Shocking!
ElPrado2

Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:57 pm

Dortmund doesn't need anything more than slower competition.
Della

Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:56 am

Just read some Facebook chatter that Dortmund has been retired and is awaiting transportation to Kentucky. Does anyone know more reliably what might be happening for this guy?
Ziggypop

Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:25 am

Della wrote:Just read some Facebook chatter that Dortmund has been retired and is awaiting transportation to Kentucky. Does anyone know more reliably what might be happening for this guy?
I hope this is true. He deserves to be done, if that is what he wants.
CoronadosQuest

Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:27 am

Della wrote:Just read some Facebook chatter that Dortmund has been retired and is awaiting transportation to Kentucky. Does anyone know more reliably what might be happening for this guy?
Pretty sure that was posted on April 1st on twitter and people ran with it

He was nominated to the Charles Town Classic.

http://www.horseracingnation.com/news/M ... ations_123#
stark

Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:34 pm

Dortmund, the winner of the 2015 Santa Anita Derby and five other stakes, has run his last race. Trainer Art Sherman told Santa Anita publicity on Sunday that Dortmund has been retired and will be sent to stud.

No arrangements have been finalized for Dortmund's stud career.

A 5-year-old, Dortmund won 8 of 16 starts and earned $1,987,505. He was winless in two starts at Santa Anita this year, finishing sixth in the Grade 1 Frank Kilroe Mile on turf on March 11, and fourth in the Santana Mile on April 1.

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/36088
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Northport

Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:41 pm

I could see him doing well in a regional market. Though I could see Spendthrift standing him in KY
weeeeeeeee
WarBiscuit

Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:35 pm

Dortmund decided he was retiring a long time before Shah made the decision. His lack of enthusiasm can't entirely be pinned on Art Sherman, as it seems the big horse was not going to run for anybody at this point. Glad to see him off of the track, and hope he does well at stud - wherever that may be.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
luvsgeldings

Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:24 pm

yup I agree.... I think dort was done some time ago - heart not in it anymore - hope he enjoys his new life - - read the bloodhorse story and thought Shah's comment about not wanting Dortmund to go thru 'what Bayern went thru' was interesting - Shah also commented about the bout of colic dort had the week before the Ky Derby - shame for this horse - you wonder how he would have fared if he had been absolutely 100% in that Derby.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:58 pm

We've often talked about how we like to see our star colts get to run at four or even five. Arrogate is arguably better at four than he was at three and 'Chrome definitely thrived as a five-year-old. We speculate about whether American Pharoah could have been even better as a four-year-old.
But Dortmund? The big chestnut has just gotten slower as he's gotten older. :(
I don't know if it's because he soured on racing, or because it has gotten harder...and maybe more uncomfortable...for him to accelerate that massive body over the track. IMHO, probably a bit of both.
I'm fond of Dortzilla, and wish him well, but....if I were a breeder, I don't know if I would be calling to book my mares. :? Guess I'd rather book Big Brown, who is available for just $7,500.
CoronadosQuest

Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:52 pm

Happy Retirement, Big Guy! Hope Dortie has success as a stallion!
Diver52

Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:25 pm

Yeah, he has some question marks especially as Big Brown had some foot issues as well--but I really liked the big guy. Always been a sucker for chestnuts. Have a good life, Dortzilla.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.