Jockey/Trainer News - 2017

Re: Jockey/Trainer News - 2017

Postby Catalina » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:52 pm

stark wrote:One more.....is it a good idea or not for TVG to have a suspended trainer on the desk at Santa Anita suggesting wagers??

Obviously not. And, as a side note, I agree with Curtis' take on the matter.
Catalina

Postby stark » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:21 pm

Santa Anita: After jock's room altercation, Talamo replaces Pedroza in 6th

Jockey Joe Talamo will ride Venice (13) in Friday's sixth race, a replacement for jockey Martin Pedroza, who is off hs mounts for the remainder of the program.

Steward Scott Chaney said Pedroza was taken off his final two mounts on the program after getting an altercation with a jockey's room valet. The cause of the incident was not immediately known.

"We got word of a fight witha valet," Chaney said. "The valet was taken to a hospital by paramedics. We took (Pedroza) off his remaining mounts."

A replacement has not been named for Pacific Coast Hwy (6) in the eighth race.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Curtis » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:49 pm

What Avila did was tantamount to race fixing. All I can say is that if a certain Golden Boy—Silver Haired—trainer finds out that Masochistic has tested positive for a prohibited level of substance before his scheduled start this weekend, the horse would be scratched with a “fever”. If a horse doesn’t run and it comes out before wagering begins, no harm done to the general public. Of course the thyroxine incident was terrible but because of it’s indirectness in terms of affecting wagering, it’s apples and oranges. The only real answer I guess is a return to hay, oats and water. If only JVB were still around to comment.
Curtis

Postby stark » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:48 pm

BB scratched Masochistic today.
stark

Postby Curtis » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:32 pm

stark wrote:BB scratched Masochistic today.

What’s his temp?
Curtis

Postby stark » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:42 pm

Curtis wrote:
stark wrote:BB scratched Masochistic today.

What’s his temp?

Two days ago it was about 99 ;)

Jon White
‏@PostTimeJon
Dec 28

Americanize is the 2-1 morning-line favorite in Saturday's G3 Midnight Lute at Santa Anita. Masochistic & Silent Bird are each 5-2. Masochistic's status for this race reportedly far from certain. https://twitter.com/posttimejon?lang=en
stark

Postby Sparrow Castle » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:03 pm

Curtis, You are correct and that was my point. Ensuring the safety and welfare of the horses is not the priority in racing today. I think we might also agree that Jack was a real horseman - and not shy about expressing his opinions. He had plenty to say about “chemical warfare” taking over the game.

This article has been updated to include funeral service information:

Hall of Fame trainer Jack Van Berg dies at 81
Services will be held Jan. 8 in Hot Springs, Ark. A visitation is from 9 a.m. to noon Central at the Caruth-Hale Funeral Home at 155 Section Line Road, then at 2 p.m. a service will begin at Horner Hall in the Hot Springs Convention Center.

The family requests that in lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance or the Humane Society of Garland County.

http://www.drf.com/news/hall-fame-trainer-jack-van-berg-dies-81
Sparrow Castle

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:50 pm

I see that Ron Ellis is on the TVG desk today. IIRC, he will be stepping away from any on-air work for TVG once his suspension begins.
That's too bad, IMO. I really enjoy his commentary; he's knowledgeable, well-spoken and I've never heard him yell or make tacky "jokes,' unlike a certain other regular TVG host. :P
BaroqueAgain1

Postby stark » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:16 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I see that Ron Ellis is on the TVG desk today. IIRC, he will be stepping away from any on-air work for TVG once his suspension begins.
That's too bad, IMO. I really enjoy his commentary; he's knowledgeable, well-spoken and I've never heard him yell or make tacky "jokes,' unlike a certain other regular TVG host. :P

I think he can still work for TVG but it would have to be in their Culver City studio as he's not allowed on track.
stark

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:23 pm

The last I read about this, Ron had said he wouldn't be going in to the TVG studio. I'm not sure why...maybe he will change his mind in the coming weeks?
BaroqueAgain1

PreviousNext

Return to Racing