Harness Racing - 2017

Post Reply
PJMIII
Posts: 9550
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:12 am

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:27 am

Pocono: 2017 meet starts on Saturday

The Standardbred trotters and pacers will begin their 52nd season of pari-mutuel harness racing in northeast Pennsylvania this Saturday night, March 18, as The Downs at Mohegan Sun Pocono will present the first of 135 cards of harness racing scheduled for 2017, with Saturday’s first race marked for 6:30 p.m.

http://www.drf.com/news/pocono-2017-mee ... s-saturday

----------
PJMIII
Posts: 9550
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:12 am

Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:32 am

The Meadows: Dave Palone picks up career win 18,000

Dave Palone, already harness racing’s all-time “winningest” driver, continues to go where no reinsman has gone before, as he collected career victory 18,000 Wednesday at The Meadows. The landmark win came with Outburst in the 11th race.

http://www.drf.com/news/meadows-dave-pa ... -win-18000
PJMIII
Posts: 9550
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:12 am

Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:50 am

Hambo winner Market Share gelded, expected to return

Market Share will be away from the races for a while, but the award-winning 8-year-old trotter is expected to return to action later this season for what might be a farewell tour.

http://www.drf.com/news/harness-hambo-w ... ted-return
PJMIII
Posts: 9550
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:12 am

Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:32 am

Meadowlands: Hambletonian eliminations drawn; stakes card takes shape

Saturday, August 5 is Hambletonian Day, the Greatest Day in Harness Racing with the marquee event featured on a stakes laden card with total purses in excess of $3.5 million.

http://www.drf.com/news/meadowlands-ham ... akes-shape
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9722
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:28 pm

This event used to be shown on network TV, but I could only find a 1 1/2-hour slot on CBSSN (#221 0n DirecTV) on Saturday, from 1-2:30 PM Pacific.
I see that TVG also has a slot from 2-3 PM Pacific labeled as Hambletonian coverage. If the racing network is showing the Hambo, I hope that they will also be showing all the good undercard races. CBSSN's slot doesn't have enough time for them.
User avatar
Miss Woodford
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:19 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:This event used to be shown on network TV, but I could only find a 1 1/2-hour slot on CBSSN (#221 0n DirecTV) on Saturday, from 1-2:30 PM Pacific.
I see that TVG also has a slot from 2-3 PM Pacific labeled as Hambletonian coverage. If the racing network is showing the Hambo, I hope that they will also be showing all the good undercard races. CBSSN's slot doesn't have enough time for them.
Yeah, NBC stopped showing it a couple years ago. You'd think NBCSN would've picked it up at least but I guess even fewer people watch harness racing than TBs.
WaquoitNBroadBrush
Posts: 1102
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:12 am

Miss Woodford wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:This event used to be shown on network TV, but I could only find a 1 1/2-hour slot on CBSSN (#221 0n DirecTV) on Saturday, from 1-2:30 PM Pacific.
I see that TVG also has a slot from 2-3 PM Pacific labeled as Hambletonian coverage. If the racing network is showing the Hambo, I hope that they will also be showing all the good undercard races. CBSSN's slot doesn't have enough time for them.
Yeah, NBC stopped showing it a couple years ago. You'd think NBCSN would've picked it up at least but I guess even fewer people watch harness racing than TBs.
The Hambo was on NBC only because harness racing used to have lots of fans in the populous NYC area, which is also the nation's media and advertising hub. Now that most of those fans have either passed on or moved to Florida (where the sport hangs on at Pompano Park), it's off the network's radar. Truth be told, harness has never had the national reach that TB has always had. It exists in parts of the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, the Midwest, two tracks in the South (Red Mile and Pompano), and the literal outlier, Sacramento, which pretty much has the entire nation west of the Mississippi to itself. If quarter horse racing were limited to those areas and harness racing were limited to the states where quarter horses are popular, you'd have seen QH racing on NBC, not harness.
User avatar
Miss Woodford
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:04 pm

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
Miss Woodford wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:This event used to be shown on network TV, but I could only find a 1 1/2-hour slot on CBSSN (#221 0n DirecTV) on Saturday, from 1-2:30 PM Pacific.
I see that TVG also has a slot from 2-3 PM Pacific labeled as Hambletonian coverage. If the racing network is showing the Hambo, I hope that they will also be showing all the good undercard races. CBSSN's slot doesn't have enough time for them.
Yeah, NBC stopped showing it a couple years ago. You'd think NBCSN would've picked it up at least but I guess even fewer people watch harness racing than TBs.
The Hambo was on NBC only because harness racing used to have lots of fans in the populous NYC area, which is also the nation's media and advertising hub. Now that most of those fans have either passed on or moved to Florida (where the sport hangs on at Pompano Park), it's off the network's radar. Truth be told, harness has never had the national reach that TB has always had. It exists in parts of the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, the Midwest, two tracks in the South (Red Mile and Pompano), and the literal outlier, Sacramento, which pretty much has the entire nation west of the Mississippi to itself. If quarter horse racing were limited to those areas and harness racing were limited to the states where quarter horses are popular, you'd have seen QH racing on NBC, not harness.
NBC did broadcast the All-American Futurity in the 60s/70s before it was moved to ESPN.
PJMIII
Posts: 9550
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:12 am

Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:52 am

Meadowlands: Perfect Spirit placed first in Hambletonian after What The Hill is disqualified

For the first time in the rich history of the Hambletonian, the final winner was disqualified and the runner-up, on this occasion Perfect Spirit, became the winner of the sport's biggest prize on Saturday afternoon.


http://www.drf.com/news/meadowlands-per ... squalified
PJMIII
Posts: 9550
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:12 am

Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:13 am

Giwner: Plenty of life for Walner beyond the Hambletonian

The news of Walner’s withdrawal from the Hambletonian sent shockwaves throughout the industry. The one shining star in the current crop of 3-year-old trotting colts missed the most important race of the year.

http://www.drf.com/news/giwner-plenty-l ... mbletonian
PJMIII
Posts: 9550
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:12 am

Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:01 am

Meadowlands: New Survivor wager coming in November

The Meadowlands Racetrack will introduce a Pick 10 Survivor wager, the first of its kind, when the New Jersey harness track opens its Fall/Winter Meet on Saturday, November 4.

http://www.drf.com/news/meadowlands-new ... g-november
PJMIII
Posts: 9550
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:12 am

Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:58 am

Red Mile: Manchego headlines Bluegrass victors for rookie trotting fillies

Manchego's 1:56 1/5 effort that pushed her record to nine wins from nine starts highlighted Bluegrass action for 2-year-old trotting fillies on Friday night at The Red Mile. Each race carried a purse of $66,000.

http://www.drf.com/news/red-mile-manche ... ng-fillies
PJMIII
Posts: 9550
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:12 am

Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:42 am

Resolve installed as morning line favorite in $1,000,000 International Trot

Defending champion Resolve on Tuesday drew post No. 6 and was made the 3-1 morning-line favorite for Saturday’s $1 million Yonkers International Trot at Empire City Casino’s Yonkers Raceway. The 6-year-old stallion will be driven by trainer Ake Svanstedt in the 1-1/4 mile invitational for older trotters.

http://www.drf.com/news/yonkers-resolve ... ional-trot
PJMIII
Posts: 9550
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:12 am

Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:54 am

Breeders Crown: Takter has two chances at Horse of the Year

Trainer Jimmy Takter heads into Friday night at Hoosier Park with a chance of putting the finishing touches on a Horse of the Year campaign. Takter, who has trained four overall Horses of the Year including the 2016 champion Always B Miki, has the top-ranked Ariana G as well as the unbeaten Manchego favored in their Breeders Crown Trotting Finals.

http://www.drf.com/news/breeders-crown- ... horse-year
PJMIII
Posts: 9550
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:12 am

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:10 am

Wiggle It Jiggleit just weeks away from a return to the track

What were you doing on October 28, 2016?

All harness racing fans were watching the Breeders Crown at The Meadowlands as Always B Miki and Wiggle It Jiggleit did battle for the final time. Always B Miki went on to win the TVG Final two weeks later before retiring to stallion duty as Horse of the Year. Wiggle It Jiggleit hasn’t been seen since.


http://www.drf.com/news/harness-wiggle- ... turn-track
User avatar
serenassong
Posts: 4696
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:36 pm
Location: Connecticut

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:48 pm

PJMIII wrote:Wiggle It Jiggleit just weeks away from a return to the track

What were you doing on October 28, 2016?

All harness racing fans were watching the Breeders Crown at The Meadowlands as Always B Miki and Wiggle It Jiggleit did battle for the final time. Always B Miki went on to win the TVG Final two weeks later before retiring to stallion duty as Horse of the Year. Wiggle It Jiggleit hasn’t been seen since.


http://www.drf.com/news/harness-wiggle- ... turn-track
Im looking forward to seeing him again!
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
Post Reply