BC Dirt Mile Friday R7

Tessablue

Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:28 pm

Kennedy wrote:@Tessa

I noticed a comment in the general picks thread about this race but I wanted to move the discussion about this race to this area.

The comment was there there was so much speed in the race. I'm wondering who you're seeing? Because I see Sharp Azteca as basically lone speed (with the mildly annoying presence of Gato del Oro who should quit halfway through)

Who are the many speed horses in here?

Mor Spirit is capable of being in front but I'd say he is a presser. He was really only in front when they went in :24 and 47. Sharp Azteca has only been that slow once.

Accelerate can be in front but he's not fast.

Battle of Midway might be able to join the front tier but he's not crazy.

Is it just those you're seeing?
I see Sharp Azteca as the one who wants the lead the most and I don't anticipate a crazy meltdown, but I think he has a huge target on his back and they aren't going to let him get away. Sharp Azteca and Mor Spirit dueled the whole way around in the Met Mile until Mor Spirit pulled away, and while there's a chance Mor Spirit never gets into the bridle you've still got company from Gato del Oro, Accelerate, and Battle of Midway (who isn't crazy, but I think he really needs to be prominent early to have any chance), and Cupid not far back. So I could be (and usually am) totally wrong, but I think at least the three favorites will be close together early.
Horsebagger

Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:49 pm

Not impressed with how Mor Spirit looks in the saddling enclosure to this point. 2-1 favorite?
starrydreamer

Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:53 pm

Sharp Azteca sure is pretty. But ugh, his connections.
Tessablue

Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:54 pm

Horsebagger wrote:Not impressed with how Mor Spirit looks in the saddling enclosure to this point. 2-1 favorite?
I wonder what his odds would be with a different trainer... not like Baffert has done well in this race though.

Sharp Azteca looks great and I kind of regret not betting him, but I'll happily take 4-1 on Accelerate and Iron Fist is a nice price for those who like him.
Last edited by Tessablue on Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
middleground

Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:55 pm

Sharp Azteca looks pretty good, though.
ThreeMustangs

Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:58 pm

starrydreamer wrote:Sharp Azteca sure is pretty. But ugh, his connections.
^^^^This!
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:59 pm

I thought Mor Spirit looked fine in the post parade, sleek and filled out. A little sweat down his hind legs, but not anywhere near 'lathered up.'
ETA: Cupid looks really handsome, but I don't know if he has the speed to beat the faves.
starrydreamer

Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:01 pm

Accelerate looks good. But go go Gato del Oro! Odds be darned! :lol:
Tessablue

Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:09 pm

Think you've got something with that Sadler angle, Horsebagger... Victor did him zero favors, but Accelerate had nothing. Mor Spirit was one of the least-surprising 2-1 busts I can recall.

I'm really surprised Battle of Midway ran that way, always thought he was pretty light on talent.
Last edited by Tessablue on Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Treve

Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:10 pm

Thrilling finish for Battle of Midway and Sharp Azteca!
Also pleasantly surprised with Awesome Slew and Practical Joke since I was pulling for them both but didn't give them a huge chance.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
ThreeMustangs

Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:11 pm

Tessablue wrote: I'm really surprised Battle of Midway ran that way, always thoughts he was pretty light on talent.
Maybe he just really likes Del Mar.
Horsebagger

Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:13 pm

Tessablue wrote:Think you've got something with that Sadler angle, Horsebagger... Victor did him zero favors, but Accelerate had nothing.

I'm really surprised Battle of Midway ran that way, always thoughts he was pretty light on talent.
Thought you were going to give me props for my Key horse. And tossing the favorite. Oh, and hitting the Super!?!
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:15 pm

Great run by Battle of Midway.
Mor Spirit looked like a horse who has lost his zest for this whole racing game. :? Wonder if a retirement is coming?
In the Battle of the Tapits, Remington Park stakes horse Iron Fist beat the more expensive Cupid. ;)
Treve

Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:16 pm

Horsebagger wrote:
Tessablue wrote:Think you've got something with that Sadler angle, Horsebagger... Victor did him zero favors, but Accelerate had nothing.

I'm really surprised Battle of Midway ran that way, always thoughts he was pretty light on talent.
Thought you were going to give me props for my Key horse. And tossing the favorite. Oh, and hitting the Super!?!
I certainly will give you props for all of the above because I gave up, threw a 2$ place bet on Sharp Azteca and called it a day :lol: (which I can't be too mad about)
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Tessablue

Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:16 pm

Horsebagger wrote:

Just recalling our conversation, I don't have everyone's picks memorized. Congrats, you nailed that race.
Curtis

Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:30 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Mor Spirit looked like a horse who has lost his zest for this whole racing game. :? Wonder if a retirement is coming?
I'm sure at some point but I don't know that he's done enough to make much of a prospect with his breeding. He ran out of his skin in the Met Mile which necessitated recovery, I would think, and has just started to come around in his training. I thought maybe Baffert would have run him in that same race that Hopportunity ran in last weekend--maybe he wasn't eligible--and then go to the Cigar Mile since his best race was a one-turn mile. I don't remember his debut, but Mor Spirit has never impressed me as a horse who excels off of a layoff.