Pegasus World Cup Invitational - 1/27/18

BaroqueAgain1

Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:04 pm

Great race by Gun Runner. Happy retirement, 'Little' Red. ;)
However...why is this race called the 'Pegasus World Cup Invitational?'
Maybe with Toast of New York in this year's running, it squeaks by the 'World' thing, but 'Invitational?' Uh, no.
The horses in this race aren't invited. They're in because owners pony up $1 million (more or less) to buy a spot in the gate.
If owners pay that full $1 million up front, they get to choose the entrant. What prevents them from entering a modern version of Rick's Natural Star? :?
Maybe there's some fine print in the Pegasus contract that allows Frank 'first refusal' of the prospective runners? :P
firehorse

Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:21 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Question.....if the Pegasus moves to Santa Anita...is the $30million dollar 110 foot tall Pegasus parking lot bronze sculpture part of the deal?

Dear god, I hope not. That thing is UG-LY. I know grade-school kids who could sculpt better horse anatomy. :oops:
The San Gabriel Mountains would shrink to molehills in embarrassment if that monstrosity was placed at the Arcadia track.
It's so ugly it's fantastic, it fit's in perfect in Hallandale :lol: , Santa Anita is too classy for it. I always have a hard time reconciling that Stronach owns both given the tracks are so different in personality (and customer service).
Ballerina

Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:27 pm

firehorse wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Question.....if the Pegasus moves to Santa Anita...is the $30million dollar 110 foot tall Pegasus parking lot bronze sculpture part of the deal?

Dear god, I hope not. That thing is UG-LY. I know grade-school kids who could sculpt better horse anatomy. :oops:
The San Gabriel Mountains would shrink to molehills in embarrassment if that monstrosity was placed at the Arcadia track.
It's so ugly it's fantastic, it fit's in perfect in Hallandale :lol: , Santa Anita is too classy for it. I always have a hard time reconciling that Stronach owns both given the tracks are so different in personality (and customer service).
That thing is monstrously ugly. Somebody should be out there daily power washing off the pigeon crap.
Ballerina

Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:23 pm

Comments from competitor connections re Gun Runner's win

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... quotes_123#