Fire at San Luis Rey!?

Re: Fire at San Luis Rey!?

Postby Flanders » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:32 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:This sounds like a conflicting report, Ridan.

Jeremy Balan‏Verified account @BH_JBalan
8m8 minutes ago
The danger going forward is there are still horses loose at San Luis Rey. Jockey agent Matt Nakatani says it is pitch black there. Toss in uneven ground and some hills. Know of one horse already who broke down and had to be euthanized.

I would be amazed if there weren't still horses loose.
If you watch the video I posted above and see the sheer number of horses that were loose and running around scared out of their minds, I don't know how long it would take to catch them.
Flanders

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:35 pm

Flanders wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:This sounds like a conflicting report, Ridan.

8m8 minutes ago
The danger going forward is there are still horses loose at San Luis Rey. Jockey agent Matt Nakatani says it is pitch black there. Toss in uneven ground and some hills. Know of one horse already who broke down and had to be euthanized.

I would be amazed if there weren't still horses loose.
If you watch the video I posted above and see the sheer number of horses that were loose and running around scared out of their minds, I don't know how long it would take to catch them.

Yeah, I watched the video earlier and decided not to post it but it certainly tells the tale of how awful and chaotic it was. Leo Tapia is amazing. He also works at EMD.
Sparrow Castle

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:41 pm

@Sparrow Castle -- At about 10:35pm EST, the reporter on the live stream from CBS8 in San Diego said about 17 barns burned. She updated her earlier report and said volunteers with horse trailers were still arriving at SLR and horses were still being evacuated. But she repeated that all the surviving horses either were or are being evacuated. News reports when there is such chaotic breaking news often is not fully accurate. I just hope the reporter is right and that all the surviving horses are either out or being taken out.

Officials are planning a news conference in about a half hour. I will try to watch and report what is said. At least one firefight has been injured from an exploding propane tank, homes have been lost, and the fire has gone toward Oceanside.
Last edited by Ridan_Remembered on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ridan_Remembered

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:44 pm

I think they are still in process of vanning them out.

Here's another video from earlier.

Brian Trump‏ @realBrianTrump
8m8 minutes ago
More footage from earlier. I can only make out a few horses but I definitely saw Richard’s Boy & Tristan’s Trilogy, Surrender Now & Bobby Abu Dhabi running around.
https://mobile.twitter.com/sdut/status/938967606949580800/video/1
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:47 pm

1m1 minute ago
Richard Mandella, who had a string at San Luis Rey, got good news a little while ago:

“I have horses with Michelle Dollase there. I got good news about 30 minutes ago that they’re on the way to Del Mar. We’re very lucky, but feel for those who weren’t as fortunate.”

Eclipse Thoroughbred‏ @EclipseTBP
1m1 minute ago
We are so relieved to report that our one horse stabled at San Luis Rey, Onassis, has been evacuated and arrived to Del Mar safely. We hope there are many more happy endings to this horrible event as heroic efforts are made by so many brave workers and volunteers.
Sparrow Castle

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:49 pm

Sparrow Castle, thank you so much for reposting the tweets. Very much appreciated.
Ridan_Remembered

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:58 pm

Brian Trump‏ @realBrianTrump
42s43 seconds ago
More Brian Trump Retweeted Aron Wellman
Tristan’s Trilogy has made it to Del Mar safely. Still have about 35 more to account for.

Aron Wellman‏ @AronWellman7
Replying to @realBrianTrump @EclipseTBP
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:00 am

Ridan_Remembered wrote:Sparrow Castle, thank you so much for reposting the tweets. Very much appreciated.

We know some of these people and horses. Will stay at it as long as I can.
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:07 am

Happy to see Leo and the other grooms and assistants get the major kudo's they deserve! They are so very indispensable when it comes to the welfare of our horses. They were heroes in Puerto Rico too. Incredible what they do!

Barbara Livingston‏ @DRFLivingston
2h2 hours ago
Replying to @DRFLivingston
I don't speak Spanish but seems someone might have told him there was a barn starting to burn, and he bolted off to let horses out...he called some "Mommy" and took care with each one, saving them. Incredibly heroic.
Leo Tapia did it while live-streaming. 264K views already.

Frank Angst‏ @BH_FAngst
60m60 minutes ago
The actions of Leo Tapia and others to save Horses at San Luis Rey today are incredible. Powerful stuff.

Jim Miller‏ @HawthorneJim
2h2 hours ago
Leo Tapia and the grooms and horsemen like him deserve major racing recognition. Work behind the scenes on a normal day and step up to save those horses who he and so many others rely on when they are most in need. Prayers to all at SLR!
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:09 am

Still a lot to sort out.

Sean Feld‏ @Seaneff
3m3 minutes ago
If any rescuers from SLR have found this small plain bay filly please let me know.

1m1 minute ago
Trainer Dan Dunham reports some horses were discovered dead on the track at San Luis Rey, while they were trying to round up loose horses. He thinks they probably died from smoke inhalation. He's not sure how many.
Sparrow Castle

PreviousNext

Return to Racing