Fire at San Luis Rey!?

Re: Fire at San Luis Rey!?

Postby Treve » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:14 pm

Retrospectiv wrote:Poor Conquest Typhoon :(

Veterinarian/owner Korin Potenza feeds a banana to Conquest Typhoon, a horse trained by Peter Miller, at the San Luis Rey Equine Hospital. Conquest Typhoon was burned during the Lilac Fire at the San Luis Rey Training Center.

I imagine they can also vary his diet (on top of the bananas, applesauce and bran mash soup) with other forms of 'soups' (alfalfa broth for example) to make sure he gets a diversity of nutrients and sufficient calories until he's able to eat solids again. Wishing him a speedy recovery, he seems like quite a trooper.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby Sparrow Castle » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:53 pm

The injuries suffered by some of these horses likely will take quite awhile to heal, and hopefully they do heal well. Then there's the question about whether or not they can race again. Seeing the extent of the burns on Conquest Typhoon, I can't imagine when and if he could even tolerate wearing a bridle and bit again. Paulick published an interesting story a few days ago about the delayed onset and more hidden aspects related to that.

San Luis Rey Fire Survivors: What Trainers Should Be Looking For
Over the years, fires involving horses have made the news, but none has been as horrifying as the one on Dec. 7, when California's Santa Ana winds swept a wildfire through San Luis Rey Downs in Bonsall. Forty-six racehorses died in the blaze, despite the efforts of heroic horsemen who freed hundreds of Thoroughbreds from their burning barns.

Two major threats to horses in a fire are burn wounds and lung damage from heat and smoke inhalation. For competitive athletes, like the ones who survived the San Luis Rey fire, damage to their lungs may be career-ending. Even those that escape the inferno unhurt may suffer from equine post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) that could psychologically affect their ability to race.

Now for the good news: with the excellent veterinary care available today, the prognosis for horses surviving a fire is better than ever.

More: https://www.paulickreport.com/horse-care-category/vet-topics/san-luis-rey-fire-survivors-trainers-looking/
Sparrow Castle

Postby sweettalk » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:10 am

i'm glad he's eating, period. that's a good sign, i think, that he has an appetite.
Get out to Lenny’s for their big grand opening sale. Find eight government secrets and get a free kidnapping and personality reassignment so that you’ll forget you found them!
sweettalk

Postby Treve » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:21 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:The injuries suffered by some of these horses likely will take quite awhile to heal, and hopefully they do heal well. Then there's the question about whether or not they can race again. Seeing the extent of the burns on Conquest Typhoon, I can't imagine when and if he could even tolerate wearing a bridle and bit again. Paulick published an interesting story a few days ago about the delayed onset and more hidden aspects related to that.

I thought about that too but I am just grateful he survived and seems eager to keep going. They'll cross that bridge when they get there I suppose, personally I'd retire him from racing, and if he healed well, perhaps retrain him for another career. He might be a good candidate for bitless forms of training (whether those are traditional bitless means like hackamores, bosals, bitless bridles or simply bridless). I was actually wondering if racing in a hackamore has ever been done? I know there is a grand prix show jumping rider who rides his young mare in a leather halter because she did not tolerate the bit very well and her performance was not great with it. She improved by leaps and bounds and was obviously happier and giving him more when he switched to riding her bitless.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby Catalina » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:48 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:The injuries suffered by some of these horses likely will take quite awhile to heal, and hopefully they do heal well. Then there's the question about whether or not they can race again. Seeing the extent of the burns on Conquest Typhoon, I can't imagine when and if he could even tolerate wearing a bridle and bit again. Paulick published an interesting story a few days ago about the delayed onset and more hidden aspects related to that.

San Luis Rey Fire Survivors: What Trainers Should Be Looking For
Over the years, fires involving horses have made the news, but none has been as horrifying as the one on Dec. 7, when California's Santa Ana winds swept a wildfire through San Luis Rey Downs in Bonsall. Forty-six racehorses died in the blaze, despite the efforts of heroic horsemen who freed hundreds of Thoroughbreds from their burning barns.

Two major threats to horses in a fire are burn wounds and lung damage from heat and smoke inhalation. For competitive athletes, like the ones who survived the San Luis Rey fire, damage to their lungs may be career-ending. Even those that escape the inferno unhurt may suffer from equine post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) that could psychologically affect their ability to race.

Now for the good news: with the excellent veterinary care available today, the prognosis for horses surviving a fire is better than ever.

More: https://www.paulickreport.com/horse-care-category/vet-topics/san-luis-rey-fire-survivors-trainers-looking/

Outstanding, long article, several pages of great insight and information, well worth reading. Prayers that Conquest Typhoon and all the others can overcome their burns and other injuries, and the terrible memory of that day.
Catalina

Postby stark » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:59 pm

On a related note, a few hours up the coast in Santa Barbara, the states 3rd largest fire of all time is still raging.

Santa Barbara Zoo prepares to evacuate over Thomas Fire

Interesting tweet...."We DO NOT need public assistance. Do not come to the Zoo. Stay safe," the Zoo tweeted.

http://www.keyt.com/news/santa-barbara- ... /674022543
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Ziggypop » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:01 pm

stark wrote:
Ziggypop wrote: I was completely taken aback how nothing bad been done to clean up even the most obvious problems. Appalling how horses are still suffering because of the lack of courage.

Not sure what you're getting at.......is it like a Shamu/PETA.....Elephants/RinglingBros thing for you, shut'em down?

Like the Silent Ruler trainer.
Ziggypop

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:06 pm

stark wrote:Santa Barbara Zoo prepares to evacuate over Thomas Fire

The fires have been devastating to human and animals alike. Wildlife, of course, does not have human caregivers so untold numbers of wild creatures are killed or displaced in such massive fires.

What makes it all the more painful is the fact that the National Fish and Wildlife Service says that about 90% of all wild land fires are caused by humans, sometimes through accident or negligence, and sometimes through deliberate arson.
Ridan_Remembered

Postby Spahny » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:38 pm

Story and some views of the funeral procession for Cory Iverson on the Ventura Freeway. People are crowding the overpasses to pay their respects to Chino firefighter Cory Iverson who lost his life fighting the Thomas Fire.

http://www.pe.com/2017/12/17/see-parts- ... refighter/

So many good people out there. If you want to have faith in the human race restored sometimes it's times like these that give one that hope. I would not however recommend going to the Cal Fire update page and reading the comments if you want to feel good about your fellow citizens. I only hope most of the posts are coming from 5 or 6 very troubled individuals
Spahny

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:03 pm

" ...would not however recommend going to the Cal Fire update page and reading the comments if you want to feel good about your fellow citizens."

What!? How could anyone find something negative to say about a firefighter who died doing the dangerous work of protecting us?
Nevermind. I know from experience that the world is full of disturbed, angry trolls, so I'll skip reading those comments.
My condolences to his young family. IIRC, his wife is expecting their 2nd child. :cry:
BaroqueAgain1

PreviousNext

Return to Racing