Jockey/Trainer News - 2018

Izvestia

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:05 am

Can someone explain what that means? (allegations against Rice)
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:07 pm

It's not very clear, is it? I sort of came away with the impression that trainers need to stop giving racing office staff presents at Christmas. That's a little Grinch-ish. :P
Izvestia

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:52 pm

I’m trying to read between the lines, and I don’t get what she did. Bribed the officials to tell her who else was entering?
Curtis

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:25 pm

Izvestia wrote:I’m trying to read between the lines, and I don’t get what she did. Bribed the officials to tell her who else was entering?
That’s the allegation. If you’re a trainer shopping for a spot, it’s an advantage to know who else is going where lest you get stuck in a spot you don’t like. She’s claiming that the faxes to her, giving the names of the other entrants, were generated by the Racing office to drum up more entries to fill races.
Catalina

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:22 pm

One can't help but wonder whether there's any connection to Mr. Salvato recently being trespassed from NYRA property.
stark

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:19 pm

HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. – Gulfstream Park has ruled Marty Wolfson off its property, saying the veteran trainer consistently failed to meet financial obligations and that the care being given his horses was substandard.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Ballerina

Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:43 pm

Sparrow Castle

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:07 pm

Santa Anita: Stewards suspend Pedroza for 15 days, fine valet for jockey's room fight
Jockey Martin Pedroza was suspended 15 calendar days, and valet Maximo Corrales was fined $500 for an altercation between the two in the jockey's room on Dec. 29, according to two rulings issued by the board of stewards on Friday.

Pedroza, 52, was also fined $500. He is suspended from Tuesday through March 6, a period of seven racing days. During the suspension, Pedroza is not allowed on racetrack property and therefore cannot work horses.

Pedroza was given a more severe penalty after he struck Corrales with his helmet, according to the ruling.
More: http://live.drf.com/nuggets/40367-santa ... room-fight
Sparrow Castle

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:12 pm

Linda Rice Suspended and Fined for January Scratches
Trainer Linda Rice has been suspended five days and fined for a total of $2,500 by the New York State Gaming Commission (NYSGC) for the circumstances that led to the scratching of Littlefirefighter (Into Mischief) and For Honor (To Honor and Serve) from a $25,000 claiming race at Aqueduct Jan. 27. As first reported by the Daily Racing Form, Rice said she scratched For Honor to avoid a positive drug test after being treated with medication days before, while Littlefirefighter was scratched due to owner Iris Smith’s preference to not run in a claiming race.

The official rulings posted on the NYSGC website stated that Rice’s “failure to tend to business in a proper manner” led to the scratch of For Honor and a $500 fine, while the trainer’s refusal to run Littlefirefighter led to a $2,000 fine and a 10-day suspension. The latter penalty was reduced to five days after Rice waived her right of appeal.
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/li ... -scratches
Sparrow Castle

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:41 pm

Vaccarezza’s Children Safe But Shaken
Two sons of Florida-based trainer Carlo Vaccarezza, students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, were unharmed when a shooter stormed into the high school Thursday and killed 17 people. However, Vaccarezza said it was a tough time for his children, particularly Nick, whose best friend Joaquin Olivier was among those murdered.

Nick is a senior at the school and the other son, Mike, is a freshman. The trainer said Olivier and some other shooting victims were at his house only a few days earlier.

“Nick is having a tough time,” Vaccarezza said. “Some of these kids were at my house only a few days ago. They liked to come over and hang out with Nicholas. This kid who died, he was Venezuelan. His family had immigrated to the U.S. when he was little and he would come to me and tell me it was his dream to be an American citizen. He got his citizenship three days ago.”

Vaccarezza said his oldest son also knew the shooter, Nikolas Cruz, who was in his same senior class before being expelled...

Nicholas is the racing enthusiast among the two brothers and spends much time at his father’s barn. He says he has made many friends on the backstretch and several reached out to Carlo to offer their sympathies and to see if there were anything they could do to help.

“He is a very well-liked kid around the racetrack,” Vaccarezza said. “Kiaran McLaughlin, Chad Brown, Todd Pletcher, Chuck Simon, they all sent messages. They said that if any way it would help Nick he could come around their barns any time he wanted to say hello. The entire racing community been very supportive.”

While Vaccarezza doesn’t lose sight of the fact hat his family was among the lucky ones, that his children came home from high school alive, he knows it will take a long time to heal.

“It’s a tough road ahead,” he said. “I think my kids are strong but they’re still just kids. You see shootings at Columbine, Sandy Hook, at the school in Kentucky, you feel sorry for the families. But when it happens in your back yard, at your school, to your kids, it’s different. You have no idea how it feels. I am a really strong guy. I was raised on the streets of New York. I can handle a lot of pain and suffering. But I felt so guilty I couldn’t be there to protect them. Of course there’s nothing I could have done, but I still felt so guilty. I couldn’t sleep last night, so I just went to the barn. Go there at three in the morning.”
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/va ... but-shaken
Sparrow Castle

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:58 pm

‘Goggles as Whip’ Earns $76,000 Win–And a $200 Fine
Jockey David Cabrera was on the lead and under pressure aboard an 8-1 filly approaching the final furlong of the fourth race Feb. 10 when the whip slipped from his grip and skittered uselessly behind him in the Oaklawn Park slop.

The 25-year-old rider didn’t waste much time before instinct kicked in. He ripped down a pair of goggles from atop his helmet with his right hand and used them as a substitute crop to propel the 4-year-old La Key (J P’s Gusto) forward, prevailing by three-quarters of a length in the $76,000 allowance (VIDEO).

Such a spontaneous tactic is not unprecedented in North American racing. Nylon helmet covers, for example, have occasionally been employed in this manner over the years.

But in the state of Arkansas, striking a horse with anything other than an “ordinary whip” is explicitly forbidden.

Thus, on Feb. 16, Cabrera was hit with a $200 fine from the Arkansas Racing Commission for violation of state Rule #1214, which states, in part, “No electrical or mechanical device or other expedient designed to increase or decrease the speed of a horse, or that would tend to do so, other than the ordinary whip, shall be possessed by any one or applied by any one to a horse at any time.”
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/go ... a-200-fine
Sparrow Castle

Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:30 pm

If this stands, he will have to disperse his stable.

Arnold to Appeal Ractopamine Positives
...Arnold does not dispute the presence of the drug in each horse's system, but said he did not intentionally give them the substance. The Kentucky-based conditioner said he wasn't even aware what ractopamine was before these positives and believes they are a result of environmental contamination. Among the evidence Arnold offered to support a case of contamination is the fact that trainer Joe Sharp also had a horse come up with a ractopamine positive at Kentucky Downs Sept. 10, 2016.

"I can't tell you how it happened. I'm not pointing the finger. But I can tell you we didn't do it," Arnold said of his case. "You don't go 41 years (of training) and pick out two maidens at Kentucky Downs and give them ractopamine.

"The two things that stand out to me is there were three ractopamine positives in the state of Kentucky in 2016, all three at Kentucky Downs, with two of them in the test barn at the same time in back-to-back races. And two racing days before, all three cooled out in the same barn, at the same stall. And they all had almost exactly the same amount. So something happened somewhere. We have two common denominators in the whole case. They were in the test barn at the same time, cooled out in the same test barn, and the other is the tests were held together and delivered. That's the only common denominator. It's bizarre."

Arnold said he was notified of the positives 17 days after the races and that his barn was searched by commission personnel, but no traces of ractopamine or any other illegal substances were found.

There have been cases of feed found to be contaminated with ractopamine in recent years. In 2016 the Prairie Meadows Board of Stewards found trainer Kelly Von Hemel blameless after two of his horses tested positive for ractopamine, because he was able to prove that the trace amounts of the drug were the result of contamination in feed originally mixed at a South Dakota plant...
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -positives
Starine

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:59 pm

Jockey Carlos Castro In Critical Condition After Being Hit By Train
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/peop ... hit-train/
Sparrow Castle

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:30 pm

It's like they have little concern about the impact of these bogus rulings on trainers, owners (of these horses as well as others in the barn), stable staff (who also faced losing their livelihoods), plus their families. These incidents happened in September, more than five months ago.

Kentucky Stewards to Rescind 2016 Ractopamine Positives
Based on an updated opinion from its testing lab on its findings, Kentucky stewards will rescind three ractopamine positives initially called at the 2016 Kentucky Downs meeting.

Trainer George "Rusty" Arnold planned to appeal his two class 2 positives to the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission, but that move became unnecessary after the KHRC lab, LGC Science Lexington, reversed its initial findings. The lab also rescinded its positive found against trainer Joe Sharp.

Because the lab is no longer ruling ractopamine positives, all sanctions against involved trainers and owners will be lifted—that is to say, there will be no purse forfeitures.

KHRC executive director Marc Guilfoil said KHRC staff was informed Feb. 19 of the lab's updated opinion after it determined that while it found metabolites of ractopamine in the samples, it had not found the actual drug in the samples. Guilfoil said according to the lab, an updated methodology requires a finding of ractopamine, not just its metabolite, in calling a positive. He said only the metabolites were found in the three samples.

Lab director Rick Sams was not immediately available for comment Tuesday evening.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:22 am

September 2016, more than a year ago.
Sparrow Castle wrote:It's like they have little concern about the impact of these bogus rulings on trainers, owners (of these horses as well as others in the barn), stable staff (who also faced losing their livelihoods), plus their families. These incidents happened in September, more than five months ago.

Based on an updated opinion from its testing lab on its findings, Kentucky stewards will rescind three ractopamine positives initially called at the 2016 Kentucky Downs meeting.

Trainer George "Rusty" Arnold planned to appeal his two class 2 positives to the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission, but that move became unnecessary after the KHRC lab, LGC Science Lexington, reversed its initial findings. The lab also rescinded its positive found against trainer Joe Sharp.

Because the lab is no longer ruling ractopamine positives, all sanctions against involved trainers and owners will be lifted—that is to say, there will be no purse forfeitures.

KHRC executive director Marc Guilfoil said KHRC staff was informed Feb. 19 of the lab's updated opinion after it determined that while it found metabolites of ractopamine in the samples, it had not found the actual drug in the samples. Guilfoil said according to the lab, an updated methodology requires a finding of ractopamine, not just its metabolite, in calling a positive. He said only the metabolites were found in the three samples.

Lab director Rick Sams was not immediately available for comment Tuesday evening.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:05 pm

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:September 2016, more than a year ago.
Sparrow Castle wrote:It's like they have little concern about the impact of these bogus rulings on trainers, owners (of these horses as well as others in the barn), stable staff (who also faced losing their livelihoods), plus their families. These incidents happened in September, more than five months ago.

Thanks, even part of the headline. I got interrupted while posting and lost my train of thought. Yeah, been going on forever.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:16 pm

I agree. Something like this could happen to any of us. And most don't have the resources to challenge the all-powerful state racing commissions who lack knowledge and common sense.

GrahamMotion @GrahamMotion
1h1 hour ago
A must listen for any horseman, well said and thank you...Hour 3: Rusty Arnold, Seth Merrow
http://stevebyk.com/broadcast/hour-3-ru ... th-merrow/
PJMIII

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:38 pm

Antongeorgi Reaches 1,000-Win Milestone

Northern California-based jockey William Antongeorgi III reached the 1,000-victory milestone Feb. 18 at Golden Gate Fields with a winning ride aboard John Haagsma's Many Lights in a 5 1/2-furlong waiver claiming event.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -milestone
Sparrow Castle

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:53 pm

I'm posting the entire article:

Op/Ed: The Tipping Point
By Craig Bandoroff
I don’t know Rusty Arnold well, but I know him well enough. I know him well enough to know Rusty Arnold is no cheater. He’s what they affectionately and endearingly in Kentucky refer to as a hardboot. A no-nonsense, no-bullshit kind of guy where pretty much what you see is what you get. A guy that isn’t going to win any awards for public speaking or expressing himself extemporaneously. But a guy that shows up every day, does his job with pride and earns the respect of others. That’d be my take on Rusty Arnold.

I do know Bill Mott well. He has trained horses for me. He has been a good personal friend for 20-plus years. Our kids spent vacations together. And I’d stake a lot that Bill Mott is no cheater. I’m not sure he’s quite the hardboot Rusty Arnold is but he’s not too far from it. I know a little bit about what Bill Mott has been through fighting his drug violation in New York. I know a little bit about the toll on him financially and emotionally. I know a lesser man with less pride and perhaps more common sense would have decided not to fight it like he has. But the Bill Motts and Rusty Arnolds of the world have too much pride to take an injustice sitting down. They fight it because they know it’s the system that’s at fault not them. They stand up for themselves and in the process stand up for others who are too weak or can’t afford to do it.

This week, Kentucky stewards decided to overturn Arnold’s positive after the KHRC lab reversed its initial findings. “At the end of the day,” KHRC executive director Mark Guilfoil said, “we did the right thing.” We should congratulate Mr. Guilfoil for doing the right thing.

I came out in support of the Horse Racing Integrity Act several years ago. I believe in it strongly. As President of the Consignors and Breeders Association, I led that organization to become a member of the Coalition for Horse Racing Integrity. I was glad to have the opportunity to vote yes as a board member when the KTA/KTBOA joined. The reason to support it is so obvious it infuriates me. But like everything in this industry meaningful change borders between agonizingly slow and never happening. I believe that the regulation and testing system we have is broken, inadequate, flawed, antiquated, poorly administered and poorly funded. There is a contingent in our industry that will have you believe what we have works fine. That it’s all a covert operation to get rid of Lasix. To stand up and say the former makes you look like an idiot. If it’s about the latter, that’s not my understanding of the objective.

My understanding of the objective is to have one set of rules and protocols administered by a knowledgeable ruling body that sets reasonable threshold levels based on good science, practical uniform rules that can be changed when science and circumstances call for it, and utilizes the most modern techniques and equipment in drug testing to regulate our sport.

Not only does it establish uniformity across 38 racing jurisdictions, but it puts our sport into the hands of anti-doping experts and a board who will make the common-sense distinctions between performance-enhancing drugs and those that aren’t.

Who in their right mind with the right interests at heart doesn’t want that? Who in their right mind can say that’s what we have? I’m not a horse trainer. And I’m not a chemist. But if someone can explain to me how a picogram of something can affect the performance of a 1200-pound animal, I’m available any time. If a regulator can explain to me that the system we have where the primary, and in most cases, only form of testing is “we tell everyone what we are testing for and when we will test them” really catches cheaters, I’m available for that explanation, too.

But here is what I really can’t understand. Why isn’t every honest trainer demanding change? Why isn’t every one of them behind this movement? Do they really think they can’t be next?

What more do they need to understand than that any one of them–and I mean any one of them–could get their call tomorrow? Maybe they will just take the penalty and write it off like many of them do or have to do. Or maybe they will join Rusty Arnold and Bill Mott and fight a system that is clearly lacking and inadequate. Or maybe they will get lucky, and after dragging their name through the mud, regulators will realize they made a mistake.

Perhaps you are familiar with Malcolm Gladwell and his writings. They are pretty complicated and certainly not light reading. One of his most interesting books is The Tipping Point. Gladwell contends that there can be an event that results in action taken or behavior changed that is extraordinary and unexpected. To describe it in his words:

“The tipping point is that magic moment when an idea, trend, or social behavior crosses a threshold, tips, and spreads like wildfire.”

“If you want to bring a fundamental change in people’s belief and behavior…you need to create a community around them, where those new beliefs can be practiced and expressed and nurtured.”

“There are exceptional people out there who are capable of starting epidemics. All you have to do is find them.”

I’d love to think Rusty’s situation could be our Tipping Point.

What we desperately need from this group is leadership amongst the leaderless. I’ll leave you with two thoughts in that regard from Lincoln:

“The best way to predict your future is to create it.”

“You can escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

Change is rarely easy in anything. In this industry it often seems to border on impossible. But isn’t it time trainers stand up and help us change this system that doesn’t serve any of us or our horses very well? Or I guess you can just wait for your phone call.
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/op ... ping-point
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:32 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:‘Goggles as Whip’ Earns $76,000 Win–And a $200 Fine
Jockey David Cabrera was on the lead and under pressure aboard an 8-1 filly approaching the final furlong of the fourth race Feb. 10 when the whip slipped from his grip and skittered uselessly behind him in the Oaklawn Park slop.

The 25-year-old rider didn’t waste much time before instinct kicked in. He ripped down a pair of goggles from atop his helmet with his right hand and used them as a substitute crop to propel the 4-year-old La Key (J P’s Gusto) forward, prevailing by three-quarters of a length in the $76,000 allowance (VIDEO).

Such a spontaneous tactic is not unprecedented in North American racing. Nylon helmet covers, for example, have occasionally been employed in this manner over the years.

But in the state of Arkansas, striking a horse with anything other than an “ordinary whip” is explicitly forbidden.

Thus, on Feb. 16, Cabrera was hit with a $200 fine from the Arkansas Racing Commission for violation of state Rule #1214, which states, in part, “No electrical or mechanical device or other expedient designed to increase or decrease the speed of a horse, or that would tend to do so, other than the ordinary whip, shall be possessed by any one or applied by any one to a horse at any time.”
So merely possessing goggles, a helmet cover or anything else that might make a horse go faster is a no-no? Gee. Boots could be used that way, too, or a lead pad from under the saddle, or even the helmet itself. And all the other jocks in the race were in possession of goggles. Why weren't they fined?

Obviously, the rule was written to apply to buzzers, joints, or whatever you want to call electrical devices, not pieces of standard jockey equipment, none of which were "designed" to help a horse run faster. I wonder if Cabrera appealed the fine or figured it wasn't worth fighting.