Jockey/Trainer News - 2018

Re: Jockey/Trainer News - 2018

Postby Izvestia » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:05 am

Can someone explain what that means? (allegations against Rice)
Izvestia

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:07 pm

It's not very clear, is it? I sort of came away with the impression that trainers need to stop giving racing office staff presents at Christmas. That's a little Grinch-ish. :P
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Izvestia » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:52 pm

I’m trying to read between the lines, and I don’t get what she did. Bribed the officials to tell her who else was entering?
Izvestia

Postby Curtis » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:25 pm

Izvestia wrote:I’m trying to read between the lines, and I don’t get what she did. Bribed the officials to tell her who else was entering?

That’s the allegation. If you’re a trainer shopping for a spot, it’s an advantage to know who else is going where lest you get stuck in a spot you don’t like. She’s claiming that the faxes to her, giving the names of the other entrants, were generated by the Racing office to drum up more entries to fill races.
Curtis

Postby Catalina » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:22 pm

One can't help but wonder whether there's any connection to Mr. Salvato recently being trespassed from NYRA property.
Catalina

Postby stark » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:19 pm

HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. – Gulfstream Park has ruled Marty Wolfson off its property, saying the veteran trainer consistently failed to meet financial obligations and that the care being given his horses was substandard.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Ballerina » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:43 pm

Ballerina

Postby Sparrow Castle » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:07 pm

Santa Anita: Stewards suspend Pedroza for 15 days, fine valet for jockey's room fight
Jockey Martin Pedroza was suspended 15 calendar days, and valet Maximo Corrales was fined $500 for an altercation between the two in the jockey's room on Dec. 29, according to two rulings issued by the board of stewards on Friday.

Pedroza, 52, was also fined $500. He is suspended from Tuesday through March 6, a period of seven racing days. During the suspension, Pedroza is not allowed on racetrack property and therefore cannot work horses.

Pedroza was given a more severe penalty after he struck Corrales with his helmet, according to the ruling.

More: http://live.drf.com/nuggets/40367-santa-anita-stewards-suspend-pedroza-for-15-days-fine-valet-for-jockey-s-room-fight
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:12 pm

Linda Rice Suspended and Fined for January Scratches
Trainer Linda Rice has been suspended five days and fined for a total of $2,500 by the New York State Gaming Commission (NYSGC) for the circumstances that led to the scratching of Littlefirefighter (Into Mischief) and For Honor (To Honor and Serve) from a $25,000 claiming race at Aqueduct Jan. 27. As first reported by the Daily Racing Form, Rice said she scratched For Honor to avoid a positive drug test after being treated with medication days before, while Littlefirefighter was scratched due to owner Iris Smith’s preference to not run in a claiming race.

The official rulings posted on the NYSGC website stated that Rice’s “failure to tend to business in a proper manner” led to the scratch of For Honor and a $500 fine, while the trainer’s refusal to run Littlefirefighter led to a $2,000 fine and a 10-day suspension. The latter penalty was reduced to five days after Rice waived her right of appeal.

More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/linda-rice-suspended-and-fined-for-january-scratches
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:41 pm

Vaccarezza’s Children Safe But Shaken
Two sons of Florida-based trainer Carlo Vaccarezza, students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, were unharmed when a shooter stormed into the high school Thursday and killed 17 people. However, Vaccarezza said it was a tough time for his children, particularly Nick, whose best friend Joaquin Olivier was among those murdered.

Nick is a senior at the school and the other son, Mike, is a freshman. The trainer said Olivier and some other shooting victims were at his house only a few days earlier.

“Nick is having a tough time,” Vaccarezza said. “Some of these kids were at my house only a few days ago. They liked to come over and hang out with Nicholas. This kid who died, he was Venezuelan. His family had immigrated to the U.S. when he was little and he would come to me and tell me it was his dream to be an American citizen. He got his citizenship three days ago.”

Vaccarezza said his oldest son also knew the shooter, Nikolas Cruz, who was in his same senior class before being expelled...

Nicholas is the racing enthusiast among the two brothers and spends much time at his father’s barn. He says he has made many friends on the backstretch and several reached out to Carlo to offer their sympathies and to see if there were anything they could do to help.

“He is a very well-liked kid around the racetrack,” Vaccarezza said. “Kiaran McLaughlin, Chad Brown, Todd Pletcher, Chuck Simon, they all sent messages. They said that if any way it would help Nick he could come around their barns any time he wanted to say hello. The entire racing community been very supportive.”

While Vaccarezza doesn’t lose sight of the fact hat his family was among the lucky ones, that his children came home from high school alive, he knows it will take a long time to heal.

“It’s a tough road ahead,” he said. “I think my kids are strong but they’re still just kids. You see shootings at Columbine, Sandy Hook, at the school in Kentucky, you feel sorry for the families. But when it happens in your back yard, at your school, to your kids, it’s different. You have no idea how it feels. I am a really strong guy. I was raised on the streets of New York. I can handle a lot of pain and suffering. But I felt so guilty I couldn’t be there to protect them. Of course there’s nothing I could have done, but I still felt so guilty. I couldn’t sleep last night, so I just went to the barn. Go there at three in the morning.”

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/vaccarezzas-children-safe-but-shaken
Sparrow Castle

PreviousNext

Return to Racing