Breeders Cup Upcoming Venues

stark

Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:35 am

2019 Santa Anita
2020 Keeneland
2021 Del Mar

http://www.latimes.com/sports/more/la-s ... story.html
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:06 pm

Will New York EVER get the BC again?
stark

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:11 pm

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:06 pm
Will New York EVER get the BC again?
Does NYRA actively pursue it?
Tessablue

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:48 pm

how novel and thrilling
honneerider

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:51 pm

How about a little love for New York!
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:59 pm

I've gotten the impression that the lack of love comes from New York toward the Breeders' Cup. :oops:
NY may have come to the conclusion that holding a BC doesn't pay enough to deal with the costs that come with it.
New York has done pretty well on its own by creating 'mini-BC' meets with a bunch of good stakes races on the same day, so the feeling could be, 'who needs all those strings attached to having a Breeders' Cup?' :P
Mylute

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:12 pm

I've heard one reason NY or Woodbine never hosts it anymore is because of snow/winter weather.

But yeah I'd like to see it at Belmont or Woodbine again. And how about that time when it was at Lone Star or something? Wild.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:19 pm

I've heard one reason NY or Woodbine never hosts it anymore is because of snow/winter weather.

Yeah, it's pretty normal for Toronto or New York to have some pretty lousy weather in late October or early November. If Belmont or Woodbine paid all the fees that the BC demands, and then fans stayed away in droves because of miserable weather, the event might end up costing the venue more money than it would make.
luvsgeldings

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:29 pm

very happy to know the BC will be at Santa Anita in 2019 - great time to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Zenyatta's win in the classic - will never ever forget that day - it was the happiest and most thrilling day to be at Santa Anita.

I do wish Belmont would get a BC again sometime soon. just seems wrong that New York has not had one in so long.

gotta love it when the BC is at Keeneland. can never get enough of that scenery there in Lexington.
stark

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:39 pm

How 'bout Laurel where Frank wants to play host, is that enough to satisfy the east coast wish list?
Tessablue

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:56 pm

I always thought the weather complaint was weird, given that Keeneland and Churchill can get just as cold on a bad day, Monmouth's BC was very formful and a great experience for fans regardless of the rain, and California does have a tendency to catch on fire and/or give horses heat stroke. After a few more sloppy Mays, are we going to move the Derby as well?

Whatever the reason, there's got to be a Belmont reckoning one of these years. I posted the data last year, but Belmont preppers routinely and significantly underperform in west coast BC dirt races. Between the continued devaluing of marquee races like the JCGC and what I will assume will be an eventual hesitance to send prominent east coast-based horses west to possibly lose year-end awards on unfavorable racetracks (see also: Princess of Sylmar), NYRA and the BC are going to have to address this eventually. If not for the fans, who are probably thought of only to the extent that "people like warm weather" can be used as an excuse for holding the event at the same racetrack over and over, but to the owners and horsemen at least.
Treve

Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:47 pm

I'm glad Keeneland is getting it again, the 2015 edition was a success and from everything I heard the experience was really pleasant for the fans too.

Would love to see it come back to NY. Doubt it will ever come back to Woodbine though since they stayed with their synthetic/all-weather track as opposed to switching back to dirt when the synth experiment failed in the rest of the US and Dubai.

Monmouth could be fun, or even Laurel or hell Gulfstream, I don't really care about the specifics I just want to see a bit more variety to shake things up.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Flanders

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:43 pm

I don't think Belmont has applied since 2011 (for the 2012 event). At that time they were promised to get it in 2013 and then pulled their bid before the official announcement came. I would think this had something to do with the NY government taking over NYRA in early 2012.

Also being from the East Coast, the weather in late October/early November may be rainy or chilly but it rarely snows here that early.
Mylute

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:54 pm

What is everyone's opinion on Woodbine as a venue, synthetic and all? When is the last time they applied for it? It's also been held at Arlington only once, but I saw where a gremlin of some kind was complaining about the track on a comments section.

L̶e̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶M̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶i̶n̶e̶e̶r̶
T̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶j̶o̶k̶e̶ ̶b̶t̶w̶
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
Big Ten

Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:47 pm

luvsgeldings wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:29 pm
very happy to know the BC will be at Santa Anita in 2019 - great time to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Zenyatta's win in the classic - will never ever forget that day - it was the happiest and most thrilling day to be at Santa Anita.
Good times. 8-) I only attended the BC in 2003, 2008, and 2009 and 2009 was clearly my favorite. Hit four races with three of them on grass. From 2011-2016, I was out of the country.

I did have a chance to go to the 2016 one. Epic races in the Distaff and Classic. Too bad I didn't have a ride or the money to go. I used my Canon digital camera to record that 2009 BCC. Probably the most exhilarating race I ever seen in person next to Rock Hard Ten winning the 2005 Big Cap.

I'm not so happy Del Mar is getting BC for 2021. It's a lovely track in a beautiful location but it doesn't have the capacity to fit so many people. I also hate playing races in Del Mar. I rarely ever win there. Hooray to The Great Race Place getting it for next year. I'll be there this time...
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
stark

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:24 am

I get that everybody has personal preferences
but what if you were the National Racing Czar/Czarina and had to make a decision for the masses?

What would go into making your decision on what's best for racing on arguably its greatest day of the year?

Is the risk of the unknown worth it to try a new venue?

Does the weather forecast play a role in your decision?

Is there enough variety every year just with the horses without having any mystery about the venue (see Derby).

Should it be under the lights so that TV has a prime time event to show?

Who are your vested partners involved in making your decision, BC, TV and ________________.

thanks for playing along at home in this somewhat unofficial survey and sharing with us your #1 concern that would be solved if you had the crown.
peeptoad

Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:48 am

stark wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:24 am
I get that everybody has personal preferences
but what if you were the National Racing Czar/Czarina and had to make a decision for the masses?
The masses wouldn't want me as czarina since I'd likely overhaul the entire sports, replete with an overall governing body and have the NA tracks placed into "tiers" (1,2,and 3) with only the tier 1 tracks allowed to host G1 events, possibly including the BC. This would mean fewer G1 races overall so the ones we had would get better and bigger fields. A track could achieve tier 1 status through some mechanism ... haven't thought that through.

But to answer the BC host question:

alternate CD, SA and BEL, with an alternating wild card track thrown in every 4th year (i.e. KEE, DMR, GP if they had capacity, etc.)
stark

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:56 pm

How many tier 1 tracks are there?
MR-W

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:12 pm

Whenever the BC is hosted by Santa Anita, the positive buzz in the barn area is at a very high pitch. I've heard way too many times from the Euros that they are so pleased with the track, weather and the layout of Santa Anita as well. They absolutely love it as well as the social media, more specifically NBC. The weather seems to be the biggest factor. Somebody mentioned that the BC at Monmouth was still good with the inclement weather. I disagree. I watched it on television and from every article that I read it was a disaster. Not because of the hosts but because of the horrible weather.
Tessablue

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:50 pm

MR-W wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:12 pm
Whenever the BC is hosted by Santa Anita, the positive buzz in the barn area is at a very high pitch. I've heard way too many times from the Euros that they are so pleased with the track, weather and the layout of Santa Anita as well. They absolutely love it as well as the social media, more specifically NBC. The weather seems to be the biggest factor. Somebody mentioned that the BC at Monmouth was still good with the inclement weather. I disagree. I watched it on television and from every article that I read it was a disaster. Not because of the hosts but because of the horrible weather.
Well, I was actually there, so I'm going to stick with my own assessment.

Love that BC rotation idea, peep. Just knowing where it will be years in advance would be really helpful to a lot of people.

Still trying to understand why people don't mind the year-end championship event being routinely held at a track that disfavors roughly a quarter of its dirt contestants.