Older Horses - 2019

Post Reply
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 4153
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:10 pm

Catholic Boy Deserves ‘A Good Break’; Won’t Return To Training Until Feb. 1
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... til-feb-1/
katmandu
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:16 am

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:06 pm

Heart to Heart loses photo for 2nd in a hard luck 3rd in Tropical Park Turf. Mr. Freeze, breaking to his inside, caused problems in the gate and H t H had a lunging start which left him mid pack after Mr. Freeze then carried him out to the middle of the track on the first turn. Swung to the outside turning for home, he took the lead but was run down in the shadow of the wire. Always nice to see Shug get a win, but Heart to Heart is such a cool horse. . .

I guess hitting the board in a graded stakes coming off the layoff isn't the worst thing that can happen to an oldster.
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 4153
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:04 am

Thunder Snow Will Aim to Defend Dubai World Cup Title
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -cup-title

Also includes an update on Benbatl.
katmandu
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:16 am

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:26 pm

I'm a little surprised this hasn't shown up here yet:

https://www.drf.com/top-news/vyjack-9-t ... try-455527
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 1557
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:23 pm

Hmm...don't like this.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
ElPrado2
Posts: 1736
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:45 pm

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:12 pm

Don't like that he had a splint and not a suspensory?
Why?
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 1557
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:04 pm

ElPrado2 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:12 pm
Don't like that he had a splint and not a suspensory?
Why?
Not sure if I'm a fan of bringing a 9 year old back to training.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
katmandu
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:16 am

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:36 pm

Not sure I understand why a horse happily galloping around in the paddock doesn't qualify for retraining for a second career (a not sound horse should be retired - period) vs. goes back to track.

I always liked this horse, he's out of Tepin's dam.
User avatar
Curtis
Posts: 908
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am
Location: Monroe, WA
Contact:

Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:34 pm

Mylute wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:04 pm
ElPrado2 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:12 pm
Don't like that he had a splint and not a suspensory?
Why?
Not sure if I'm a fan of bringing a 9 year old back to training.
He was in training last year until the problem arose so it’s not like he’s been turned out for two years. Also, D’Amato is good with older geldings, he kept Obviously going for quite awhile at a high level. I think Vyjack will be stopped on if he doesn’t stand up to training to the extent he can run at stakes level.
User avatar
Northport
Posts: 2141
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: probably near the food

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:25 pm

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the returning 9 year olds to training, either. When 4 or 5 year old stallions are returned to training after proving infertile is one thing, but the excuse about horses being bored to death in retirement has always irked me.

There are dozens of jobs a 9 year old OTTB can do that aren't as taxing or high risk as returning to the track. After letting him chill/recover in a paddock for a few months, teach him to jump? There's plenty of spicy ex-racehorses that make good jumpers or eventers. Maybe a lil dressage? Fox hunting? Barrel race?

I know accidents can happen in any discipline, but ugh to this.
weeeeeeeee
Catalina
Posts: 3282
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:45 pm

Northport wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:25 pm
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the returning 9 year olds to training, either. When 4 or 5 year old stallions are returned to training after proving infertile is one thing, but the excuse about horses being bored to death in retirement has always irked me.

There are dozens of jobs a 9 year old OTTB can do that aren't as taxing or high risk as returning to the track. After letting him chill/recover in a paddock for a few months, teach him to jump? There's plenty of spicy ex-racehorses that make good jumpers or eventers. Maybe a lil dressage? Fox hunting? Barrel race?

I know accidents can happen in any discipline, but ugh to this.
Agree.
stark
Posts: 4251
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:15 pm

RoyH got a 109 BSF @ Santa Anita yesterday, his prep for Dubai.

Jay Privman
‏@DRFPrivman

Roy H was 1 for 10 before he was gelded in July 2016.

He is 9 for 13 since.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark
Posts: 4251
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:16 pm

6YO mare CHEEKABOO entered in the 12F $100,000 stakes race today has been scratched AND retired.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Catalina
Posts: 3282
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:27 pm

stark wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:16 pm
6YO mare CHEEKABOO entered in the 12F $100,000 stakes race today has been scratched AND retired.
Hoping it's nothing life-threatening and that she'll be able to enjoy her retirement.
Post Reply