Haskin Top 10 Racing Movies

Sound of Freedom

Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:27 pm

Great list but Did he really leave Dreamer out of his top racing movies? Come on Haskin. Who doesn't love a story inspired by Mariah's Storm.

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-ra ... ovies.aspx
Ballerina

Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:33 pm

I hated DREAMER, and I'm happy to see he left SECRETARIAT off his Top 10 list.
Somnambulist

Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:37 pm

Sound of Freedom wrote:Great list but Did he really leave Dreamer out of his top racing movies?
It sucked.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Senator L

Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:40 pm

I have only seen #3 and #10 so I'm out :D
No one has ever bet enough on a winning horse.
Richard Sasuly
Horsebagger

Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:45 pm

What line from a racing movie could be more of a classic?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCd4tW3gD_c
Sound of Freedom

Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:47 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Sound of Freedom wrote:Great list but Did he really leave Dreamer out of his top racing movies?
It sucked.
Sorry you felt that way. I will let you go back to beating baby seals or whatever it is you do for fun. lol
Somnambulist

Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:47 pm

Sound of Freedom wrote:I will let you go back to beating baby seals or whatever it is you do for fun. lol
I'm laughing. That was good.
Senator L

Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:50 pm

Sound of Freedom wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:
It sucked.
Sorry you felt that way. I will let you go back to beating baby seals or whatever it is you do for fun. lol

Enjoyed that one myself :D
No one has ever bet enough on a winning horse.
Richard Sasuly
Sound of Freedom

Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:55 pm

Dreamer just happens to be on tv right now. Channel 3 in my hotel. Guessing it is HBO Family. She just got claimed. Heartbreaking.
Life At Zen

Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:16 pm

I didn't even know there were 10 movies made about racing.
A R R O G A T E
Paradise Woods, Lady Eli, Songbird, Ziconic
Gormley, Royal Mo, Shaman Ghost, Constellation

Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
slewobarney

Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:44 pm

When I saw the subject, I was hoping for at least Phar Lap #1 and Champions #2. As for Secretariat, Seabiscuit and Dreamer, they were entertaining, but in my opinion were not nearly as good as P L and Champ.

Thanks to someone who posted this link on the pre hacked T C board, here is the full Phar Lap movie. The opening is not the same as what I have on my VHS copies, 1 which I was lucky enough to tape back in 198? when it was on HBO and the other which I picked up on eBay. The scene where Tommy Woodcock 1st holds Bobby (Phar Lap) back while teaching him to rate before going after the other horse gets to me every time....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJG3ho_z2zM
The Greatest Horse movie ever made. The true story of an Australian racehorse that becomes a ..

Happy Holidays to all!
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:07 pm

No "A Day At The Races"? What was it that Groucho said about "any club that won't have me"?
Life At Zen

Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:40 pm

slewobarney wrote:When I saw the subject, I was hoping for at least Phar Lap #1 and Champions #2. As for Secretariat, Seabiscuit and Dreamer, they were entertaining, but in my opinion were not nearly as good as P L and Champ.

Thanks to someone who posted this link on the pre hacked T C board, here is the full Phar Lap movie. The opening is not the same as what I have on my VHS copies, 1 which I was lucky enough to tape back in 198? when it was on HBO and the other which I picked up on eBay. The scene where Tommy Woodcock 1st holds Bobby (Phar Lap) back while teaching him to rate before going after the other horse gets to me every time....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJG3ho_z2zM
The Greatest Horse movie ever made. The true story of an Australian racehorse that becomes a ..

Happy Holidays to all!
Thanks for the link. I'll have to watch it tomorrow.
A R R O G A T E
Paradise Woods, Lady Eli, Songbird, Ziconic
Gormley, Royal Mo, Shaman Ghost, Constellation

Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Paseana

Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:45 am

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:No "A Day At The Races"? What was it that Groucho said about "any club that won't have me"?
HaHa! That was the first thing I said to myself after reading Haskin's piece! No "A Day At The Races"? Shocking!

Also, even though it really wasn't a movie about horse racing per se, the whole set-up and climax of "The Sting" was all about a horse race. There's actually a horse running out there somewhere (I don't remember where) named Lucky Dan. I wonder if that's really an accident!
peeptoad

Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:20 am

Really decent "horse films" are hard to come by... The Black Stallion is far and away the best of the lot imo, with Phar Lap second.
Izvestia

Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:36 am

For once I agree with him... Phar Lap was the best racing movie ever.
thinair

Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:14 am

Admin wrote:I'm going to have to watch Phar Lap as often as I've heard about it.

Maybe I should be embarrassed by this, but I only just last weekend learned that Lemon Drop Kid apparently was named after a racing movie. I stumbled across "The Lemon Drop Kid" when looking through the tv guide. Has anyone seen it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043733/
Not as embarrassed as Haskin should be for not knowing that The Rocking Horse Winner was originally a D.H. Lawrence short story.
serenassong

Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:17 am

I have seen most of the list, and can remember a funny scene in Kentucky.

Seems one of the characters, who was an older man, was sick in bed. When his family goes to check on him- he is getting up and dressing, much to the dismay of his family. When he's told that he has to stay in bed, he barks at them- something like- " I aint staying in this bed, it's Derby Day!" :D
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
serenassong

Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:18 am

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:No "A Day At The Races"? What was it that Groucho said about "any club that won't have me"?
That was a bit surprising to me as well, what a great movie!
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
Somnambulist

Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:49 am

Admin wrote:I'm going to have to watch Phar Lap as often as I've heard about it.

Maybe I should be embarrassed by this, but I only just last weekend learned that Lemon Drop Kid apparently was named after a racing movie. I stumbled across "The Lemon Drop Kid" when looking through the tv guide. Has anyone seen it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043733/
This looks terrible.