Haskin Top 10 Racing Movies

Northport

Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:58 am

As terrible as this?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0451038/?ref_=nv_sr_1

How could a Zefron movie not have made the cut! Shocking!
weeeeeeeee
Insane Crazy

Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:07 am

Somnambulist wrote:
Admin wrote:I'm going to have to watch Phar Lap as often as I've heard about it.

Maybe I should be embarrassed by this, but I only just last weekend learned that Lemon Drop Kid apparently was named after a racing movie. I stumbled across "The Lemon Drop Kid" when looking through the tv guide. Has anyone seen it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043733/
This looks terrible.
It was on TV the other night. I honestly didn't realize it was a racing movie -- in the half hour I saw, there wasn't so much as a mention.

As for the actual list, from a film/writing perspective, I honestly don't think Dreamer was THAT bad. I saw it again on TV the other day. It's sappy for sure, and they manhadled the original story (though it gets a lot of flack for being unreasonable -- Mariah's Storm DID come back from a fractured cannon bone to race again, and could have theoretically won her BC race, so I don't mind that so much), but in terms of visuals and for a kid's movie I think it's alright. It handled things better than Secretariat, IMO, which I can't even watch. About 60% of that is because they re-recorded the Belmont call and I want to vomit every time I hear it, but still.

I have Phar Lap on VHS. I should watch it again. Seabiscuit is a very good movie across the board, and I would argue deserves to be higher on the list. One of my dreams should I make it in the biz would be to make a realistic *and* dramatically interesting horse racing movie. I feel like the gods are against us in that endeavor, though.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Insane Crazy

Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:32 am

Admin wrote:I thought Seabiscuit was painful to watch. The first hour (or longer) is incredibly boring. I watched it a second time to give it another chance, and found that my original opinion was on target. I'd rather get a root canal than watch Seabiscuit a third time.
I can see how someone would feel that, haha. I like small human stories and felt like they translated the book particularly well in that account. It's definitely a slow burn movie at points, but then, I like that too. The racing scenes are probably some of the best, though.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Retrospectiv

Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:36 am

I'm largely in agreeance with Haskin's list and was happy to see Phar Lap at #1. Truly the best racing movie I've seen, and I was lucky enough to see it in theatre when it first came out. Note, the beginning is different for the North American release vs the Australian. In NA, the movie plays in sequence, since they assumed not everyone would have been familiar with his story and his death.

Agree with others on Dreamer and Secretariat. Absolutely horrible. Saw each one once and that was a struggle to get through. I thought Seabiscuit was poorly done when it first came out, but in retrospect I've come to enjoy it in light of more recent racing related releases.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
pointgivenfan

Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:46 am

Black Stallion seems far too low.

It seems I'm one of the minority that actually didn't think Secretariat was all that bad. ;) Other than using Keeneland as Belmont. lolwut?

I have found that for whatever reason I have an easier time separating movie from reality/book/other source material than others I know.
Don't really know what that says about me!
"I am the man who with the utmost daring discovered what had been discovered before." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy.
Avatar: Goldikova - 2010 Prix de la Foret, copyright yours truly. =)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/timstephansen/
perfectsoul

Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:54 am

The Lemon Drop Kid is a fun movie, with Bob Hope as a crooked racetrack tout. It has a couple of scenes at the track, but it is mostly just about Hope's character being on the run from mobsters. It is considered an Xmas movie, because it debuted the song "Silver Bells."

It is in black and white. Nothing blows up and there aren't any dragons or hobbits, so it may not be everyone. It does capture the image of the track wise guy pretty well though.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:26 pm

pointgivenfan wrote:Black Stallion seems far too low.

It seems I'm one of the minority that actually didn't think Secretariat was all that bad. ;) Other than using Keeneland as Belmont. lolwut?
I never saw "Secretariat," but I did see "Seabiscuit," in which Keenland was cast as Pimlico. For obvious reasons, I'm hoping that another racing film comes out with Keeneland doing service as Churchill.
Insane Crazy

Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:36 pm

I have found that for whatever reason I have an easier time separating movie from reality/book/other source material than others I know.
I usually really don't mind it too much. Changes from book/reality to film are a given and I deal with it. Keeneland as Pimlico didn't bother me in Seabiscuit -- but Belmont is such a signature track, unique all its own, and to see rolling Kentucky hills in the background of the race...it drives me BATTY. Every time. And the fact that it was made by Disney, who probably owns Anderson's original call (it was on ABC, right?), and they still rewrote/re-recorded the call to be really pedestrian and dull...augh! I have to leave the room.
Vandalay

Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:51 pm

I'm kinda glad "Let it ride" made the cut; more of a "racetrack" movie than a "racehorse" movie..a very young Cynthia Nixon (Sex and the city) has a small role..
Ballerina

Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:03 pm

Admin wrote:I'm going to have to watch Phar Lap as often as I've heard about it.

Maybe I should be embarrassed by this, but I only just last weekend learned that Lemon Drop Kid apparently was named after a racing movie. I stumbled across "The Lemon Drop Kid" when looking through the tv guide. Has anyone seen it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043733/
Saw it the other night. Mentioned it on the Christmas movies topic. The first half hour was about Bob Hope touting at the track. The rest was him keeping one step ahead of a gangster to whom he owed money. Silly, but fun. It's a standard Christmas movie.

A list of horse racing movies.

http://horseracing.about.com/od/booksan ... movies.htm

Didn't notice anyone mentioning National Velvet. Loved that movie.
Kay16

Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:48 pm

I thought Ruffian was pretty good for a tv movie. Secretariat was just terrible. Why did Disney have to get that movie..why?
Vandalay

Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:39 pm

Kay16 wrote:I thought Ruffian was pretty good for a tv movie. Secretariat was just terrible. Why did Disney have to get that movie..why?
The minute I heard John Malkovich was cast as Lucien Laurin, I knew it was going to be a disaster
Rick1323

Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:48 pm

Man From Snowy River. Not about racing, but the horses sure are the stars........
Everyone come home sound.....
tcw

Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:31 pm

The Lemon Drop Kid with Bob Hope... recall one scene in which Bob tells Nellie Thursday (aka Jane Darwell) to "keep her chins up". Also had Bill Frawley (aka Fred Mertz) from I Love Lucy. Really enjoyed Phar Lap, based on the true story... same actor (Tom Burlinson) who was in The Man from Snowy River.
tcw

Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:39 pm

Also liked, from his list, Riding High and Glory. One he didn't mention that I liked, starring Mickey Rooney and Wallace Beery, is Stablemates.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:50 am

Vandalay wrote:I'm kinda glad "Let it ride" made the cut; more of a "racetrack" movie than a "racehorse" movie..a very young Cynthia Nixon (Sex and the city) has a small role..
Best racetrack movie ever, even with the inaccuracies (Trevor Denman in Florida? Paging Mel Stute?) and impossibilities (all those increasingly huge bets not depressing the win prices the way they should have). Trotter's (Dreyfuss) explanation to his wife (Garr) of the pointlessness of just watching horses run was perfect in tone and delivery: "There is no ra-cing with-out bet-ting!"
second_glance

Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:00 am

They were pretty "cowboy": Jay Moran photo from 2009 -- MTB, Charlie Figueroa, and Charlie's ciggie.

second_glance

Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:45 am

wrong thread
peeptoad

Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:14 am

Rick1323 wrote:Man From Snowy River. Not about racing, but the horses sure are the stars........
Definitely. I didn't really care for the love story/romance angle in that film, but the horses and outback cinematography were excellent.

Another really good film (but hard to come by) is Brady's Escape. The kid from the Black Stallion is in it (plays a Hungarian gypsy who helps the main character, John Savage, flee Hungary during the war), and the horses are great in it (one in particular anyway).
Definitely recommended, esp. for horse people:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085688/reference
serenassong

Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:13 am

I agree about the Black Stallion was well. Besides, in the books, The Black never got beat, lol.

I could deal with Secretariat until the Belmont scene. With all the footage, and this being such a spectacular sports moment that even non-racing people know about, it was such a huge letdown. But, that is Disney for you.

I would still love to see a Man O' War movie based on the book by Walter Farley. Loved that book. Not historically accurate, as far as his groom, Danny goes, but still a lovely story.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars