COST OF FREEDOM Retirement Fund

second_glance

Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:00 pm

I know he has fans here concerned about him The 10yo millionaire was claimed yesterday for $8K (finished 10th). Unlike previous connex, new connex are willing to sell him for the claim price + a little. Carl O'Callaghan has started a Paypal account to raise the funds: costoffreedomfund@yahoo.com

Trainer John Sadler, who had CoF in his barn at one time, has contributed $2000; ~$6650 still needed.
Sound of Freedom

Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:06 pm

Hate this nonsense. A retirement fund? So people are supposed to fork over their money for a horse that made other people over $1 million. How about the idiots that owned him buy him. It is almost like people are saying a horse that earned a lot of money is worthy of a retirement and others are not.

Take care of your horses or don't buy them. US claiming game is awful.
Ridan_Remembered

Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:21 pm

Sound of Freedom, is it really necessary to dump all over a post that has such good, kind intentions? If you don't want to contribute to this fund, fine, but why post such a damned negative message?

This poor old planet is so full of heartache, meanness and, all too often, savagery. The news is filled almost every day with terrible stories. In my opinion, we all need a feel-good story once in awhile, if for no other reason than to reconnect with the better aspects of human nature. So I'll toss a few dollars into the fund.
dustino140

Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:28 pm

So what happens if they don't raise the money? Will the new connections just run him, then?
second_glance

Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:36 pm

dustino140 wrote:So what happens if they don't raise the money? Will the new connections just run him, then?
They'd run him at Turf Paradise. But I'm pretty sure the money will be raised.
Sound of Freedom

Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:37 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:Sound of Freedom, is it really necessary to dump all over a post that has such good, kind intentions? If you don't want to contribute to this fund, fine, but why post such a damned negative message?

This poor old planet is so full of heartache, meanness and, all too often, savagery. The news is filled almost every day with terrible stories. In my opinion, we all need a feel-good story once in awhile, if for no other reason than to reconnect with the better aspects of human nature. So I'll toss a few dollars into the fund.
Are you telling me these owners and trainers that made a fortune off the horse don't have a few thousand dollars for the horse. Great precedent to set. Don't take care of your horses because a bunch of people that never owned him will.

People should give if they want but it is like paying taxes to take care of other people's children.
second_glance

Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:43 pm

Sound of Freedom wrote:Hate this nonsense. A retirement fund? So people are supposed to fork over their money for a horse that made other people over $1 million. How about the idiots that owned him buy him. It is almost like people are saying a horse that earned a lot of money is worthy of a retirement and others are not.

Take care of your horses or don't buy them. US claiming game is awful.
First, I'll just note that most of the work done in horse rescue is done on behalf of horses that 99% of people here on in any horse-racing community have never heard of. My particular interests, for example, are TBs, esp, broodmares, dumped at auctions.

Second, I understand your principle. Many former connections do come through, with money and/or homes, for horses at risk. But many don't. And when it's a choice of standing on principle or helping the horse, I mostly come down on the side of the horse.
Ridan_Remembered

Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:49 pm

Sound of Freedom wrote:Are you telling me these owners and trainers that made a fortune off the horse don't have a few thousand dollars for the horse.
I don't disagree with you about this point. In fact, a few million to set up a good network of retirement farms is pocket change to the multimillionaire and billionaire owners who love the excitement and trophies, but don't do squat for the betterment of this industry. However, just because I share this point of view with you is no excuse to dump over a well-meant post. Helping one is better than helping none.

Oh, and taxes are not voluntary. The government extorts them from you on pain of a variety of penalties. A donation for a charitable cause is a voluntary act of kindness, something this weary old planet could certainly use a heck of a lot more of, in my opinion.
Sound of Freedom

Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:12 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:
Sound of Freedom wrote:Are you telling me these owners and trainers that made a fortune off the horse don't have a few thousand dollars for the horse.
I don't disagree with you about this point. In fact, a few million to set up a good network of retirement farms is pocket change to the multimillionaire and billionaire owners who love the excitement and trophies, but don't do squat for the betterment of this industry. However, just because I share this point of view with you is no excuse to dump over a well-meant post. Helping one is better than helping none.

Oh, and taxes are not voluntary. The government extorts them from you on pain of a variety of penalties. A donation for a charitable cause is a voluntary act of kindness, something this weary old planet could certainly use a heck of a lot more of, in my opinion.
With his name he would be a perfect fit for Saratoga warhorse. Get them to take him and people like me will fork over a few hundred dollars, but no way am I giving money to take care of a horse that someone made a small fortune owning.
second_glance

Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:12 pm

Update from John Malone.

"COST OF FREEDOM UPDATE
I just got off the phone with COST OF FREEDOM'S current trainer Robertino Diodoro. We have a deal in place to purchase the horse and retire him. Our goal of $8,650 has not been reached. Carl O Callaghan tells me we're over half way there. I told Mr. Diodoro I would give him a cashier's check for that amount on December 26th from my personal account and Carl O'callaghan said that any amount collected would go towards my reimbursement. So don't stop donating. I'm not wealthy but like you all I have a soft spot for this horse with the huge heart. The response on the internet has been nothing short of amazing. Carl told me he has received donations from all over the world. Mr. Diodoro offered to pay for the shipping to my place and he has been a gentleman throughout this transaction. I visited his barn at Santa Anita. His barn is spotless and full of 30 happy horses. He deserves a big thanks from all of us. If COST OF FREEDOM had to be claimed. I'm thankful that it was Robertino. Carl O'callaghan....what can I say. I'm proud to call you my friend and thank you for all your efforts. You have an enormous heart and you spearheaded something phenomenal through social media. Your life has made a difference in the world not just with horses but with people. Perhaps down the road KINSALE KING and COST OF FREEDOM will go on a trail ride together. Maggi Moss you're my idol. Thank you for your help and I look forward to speaking with you in the future about race horse retirement. Lastly I want to thank my deceased parents for instilling a love for animals at a young age and greeting every stray I brought home with open arms. We can't thank you enough for those of you that donated. It proves that people can make a difference when we all work together for a common cause. PLEASE CONTINUE TO HELP IF YOU HAVE THE MEANS OR JUST SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all."

Donations can be made via PayPal to costoffreedomfund@yahoo.com

Photo of CoF from today, or possibly yesterday:

second_glance

Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:43 pm

And posted this evening:

John Malone
@clockersinsider‏

@raypaulick A group of us have purchased COST OF FREEDOM. Officially RETIRED. He has his own page on Facebook for latest news

John is the official clocker at SA and DMR.

For those on FB, this is Cost of Freedom's page: https://www.facebook.com/costoffreedomhorse
terpsichorist

Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:45 pm

Social Media helped out big time . I know for a while folks were appealing to Maggie Moss to take a look at the situation . Maggie was knee deep in
other retirements . When she posted for COS , she appealed to the former connections .and things really took off . It is nice to see people in the industry
take care of these horses .Let's hope these situations spread and more join in ..
It's not just the millionaires . Danger Storm was found at Auction tied to a trailer and Maggi stepped in .
God Bless all of you that do right by these horses! Merry Christmas!
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:31 am

Wonderful news for COS, although it's clear that he was being well-cared-for where he was.
Love the Nike Swoosh on his forehead. :)
second_glance

Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:42 am

terpsichorist wrote:Social Media helped out big time . I know for a while folks were appealing to Maggie Moss to take a look at the situation . Maggie was knee deep in
other retirements . When she posted for COS , she appealed to the former connections .and things really took off . It is nice to see people in the industry
take care of these horses .Let's hope these situations spread and more join in ..
It's not just the millionaires . Danger Storm was found at Auction tied to a trailer and Maggi stepped in .
God Bless all of you that do right by these horses! Merry Christmas!

Social media has been a godsend to rescues - especially those working the frontlines at the auctions -- in terms of broadcasting and obtaining information, fundraising, finding former connections, and organizations willing to take in a horse. Here's a rough sketch of how it worked yesterday:

Mondays are equine auction days at New Holland in PA -- one of the big auctions in the east. As is usually the case, this past Monday several people were on hand to monitor the auction for TBs. Among them, Kelly S. and Melissa R. A lot of TBs were being run through on the 23rd, including 3 broodmares that sold quickly to a kill buyer. After identifying (or attempting) the mares, Kelly and Melissa immediately start notifying people in the rescue community. Out in SoCal, Deborah Jones activates her FB networking group, and also begins contacting former connections of the 2 mares ID'd via their tattoos.

Meanwhile, also in SoCal, Dawn Mellen of After the Finish Line is waiting to board a cross-country flight, and since AtFL wants to do a Christmas rescue, she's scrolling through her FB friends, looking for an auction horse needing help. She sees Deb's post and , just before boarding her flight, PMs Deb that, if Deb can find a certified group to take the mares, AfTL will help not only with transport but with rehab costs. Deb, meanwhile via Twitter, has found a previous owner of one of the mares who is more than willing to chip in some money. She posts the news about both on her FB page and networking to find a home for the mares begins.

A volunteer at Equine Rescue of Aiken (SC) sees one of my tweets at about the same time the director of the group, Jim Rhodes, is contacted by someone else. He agrees to take the mares, but they have to be transported and rested a bit before they can go to SC. In steps the RACE Fund, aware of all this effort via FB etc., which offers a layover and transport to South Carolina. Back at New Holland, Kelly bails the mares from the kill buyer.

As a result, the mares -- Apollo Miss, Buffed Ice, and E's on Main -- are currently residing in a spiffy barn sponsored by the RACE Fund, the check from AtFL to Equine Rescue of Aiken is in the mail, and the mares leave on Sunday for their new home.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:36 am

Thanks for the details of that rescue, s_g...it really helps us to understand how much work goes into the effort to save a horse from a kill buyer.
Catalina

Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:57 am

And all that more often than not in a very short period of time.
second_glance

Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:25 pm

A HOLIDAY TALE: RALLYING TO HELP ‘OLD WARRIOR’ COST OF FREEDOM: http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s ... f-freedom/

“The only sad thing,” Malone said, “was that people who don’t have any money were kicking in $10 while others with the resources to help didn’t.”
second_glance

Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:25 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Thanks for the details of that rescue, s_g...it really helps us to understand how much work goes into the effort to save a horse from a kill buyer.
It takes a village . . . .
Ziggypop

Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:38 pm

second_glance wrote:A HOLIDAY TALE: RALLYING TO HELP ‘OLD WARRIOR’ COST OF FREEDOM: http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s ... f-freedom/

“The only sad thing,” Malone said, “was that people who don’t have any money were kicking in $10 while others with the resources to help didn’t.”
And this lack of action from those who have the "resources" is one of the biggest turn-offs, for those who may want to come into the industry, whether going to the track or looking to buy horses to get involved. It is quite appalling, actually. These very same people could move mountains to stop slaughter as well.
Ziggypop

Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:57 pm

second_glance wrote:A HOLIDAY TALE: RALLYING TO HELP ‘OLD WARRIOR’ COST OF FREEDOM: http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s ... f-freedom/

And isn't that appalling. Truly appalling. And nor do these same people care there are no fans...they already banked the money earned off their horses they have sent to their deaths.