Is there a point in attending live racing any longer?

Somnambulist

Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:53 pm

I've never been to any sporting even with good seats, either.

That includes the box at Saratoga. They were extremely uncomfortable. Maybe that just means I'm fat. :roll:
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Ballerina

Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:57 pm

Somnambulist wrote:I've never been to any sporting even with good seats, either.

That includes the box at Saratoga. They were extremely uncomfortable. Maybe that just means I'm fat. :roll:
The metal chairs in the boxes are very uncomfortable. They say boxes accommodate 5 people - only if those 5 people are all under 100 lbs. I was speaking of the slat wood seats in the grandstand and clubhouse. I find them quite comfortable.
pointgivenfan

Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:01 pm

I dunno, the boxes at Arlington basically have rolling desk chairs, essentially.
I wasn't up there much, but I thought they were pretty good.
"I am the man who with the utmost daring discovered what had been discovered before." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy.
Avatar: Goldikova - 2010 Prix de la Foret, copyright yours truly. =)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/timstephansen/
Horsebagger

Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:02 pm

Somnambulist wrote:I've never been to any sporting even with good seats, either.

Yes they are, and no you're not.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:23 pm

I confess I haven't been to any track recently, although I think the live experience of feeling the horses pound down the stretch is something that can not be duplicated by a TV.
I have to ask, though...is there any outside seating at racetracks these days that is No Smoking? I have some pretty unpleasant memories of being stuck in a cloud of smoke the last time I went to the track, and I have become far less tolerant as I get older.
People talk about how important it is to get young people into horse racing, but who wants to take your family to a track...and find yourselves sitting downwind from a deodorant-challenged dude puffing away on a stinking stogie?
:evil:
dustino140

Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:44 pm

While the experience of wagering, IMO, is much quicker and easier through my ADW, I would take a track any day over a day not at the track. I can always just bet on my phone.
Diver52

Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:53 pm

I think there's a distinction between those who love racing and those who love gambling on the races. And those who want to tell everyone they have a 60" TV. I wonder if that's inversely proportional. . .

Anyway, I'm off to Santa Anita tomorrow, silly old cow that I am.

I know part of the clubhouse at Santa Anita is nonsmoking, but its the less desirable upper boxes, which is annoying.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
stark

Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:28 pm

I understand both sides, some like the seats at the track and others prefer the toilet paper at home etc etc etc

BUT, the one customer I don't get is the guy who gets to the track early and rushes to reserve his favorite seat in front of the TV monitors. He sits there all day, never goes to the paddock, never sees a stretch run, never smells the horsepoop.

I know you've seen him.....does he even go to the windows or does he just wager through his ADW?

Any chance you are one of these guys? Why?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Ballerina

Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:48 pm

stark wrote:I understand both sides, some like the seats at the track and others prefer the toilet paper at home etc etc etc

BUT, the one customer I don't get is the guy who gets to the track early and rushes to reserve his favorite seat in front of the TV monitors. He sits there all day, never goes to the paddock, never sees a stretch run, never smells the horsepoop.

I know you've seen him.....does he even go to the windows or does he just wager through his ADW?

Maybe he doesn't have a decent TV at home. Maybe he just likes to get out of the house. Maybe he's somewhat disabled and can't walk around too much. Maybe he likes being with people who like horse racing. Maybe, maybe, maybe. And, NO, I'm not one of them
Jeff

Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:46 pm

Sound of Freedom wrote:
pointgivenfan wrote:
Sound of Freedom wrote: I thought the same until I got my new TV. Gulfstream and Saratoga simply can no longer compete with a 60 inch and a laptop, plus my own food.
Please tell me you don't actually mean this.
Absolutely. It is simply better for gambling. I hate the seating at Saratoga (they need a section with cushioned large seats without idiots getting up and down all day) and the Gulfstream simulcast area sucks with tiny tv's with deaf old people blasting the volume (no ear jacks).

I like the mornings at the track but think the afternoon racing is a thing of the past.
They have those. The suites they set up on the clubhouse turn.
stark

Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:12 pm

The absolute best on-track experience is well before the daily races start, Sunrise @ Santa Anita's Clockers Corner.

You can stand thisclose to famous jockeys/trainers/owners, some will even chat with you, you can watch the morning workouts and evesdrop on all sorts of conversations. No matter if you're a novice or a grizzled veteran, you will enjoy the FREE tram rides of the stable area and beyond, there's something different to be seen everyday.

From their website http://www.santaanita.com/seabiscuit-tour
Seabiscuit TourBoard the Seabiscuit Tram near Clockers’ Corner and take a tour of The Great Race Place. The Seabiscuit tram will take you to the stable area, receiving barn, and the Paddock Gardens. Plus, see Seabiscuit’s original stall and barn, areas used during the filming of the movie Seabiscuit, and meet the equine star of Seabiscuit, Fighting Furrari, who played the primary role in the film. Not only that, you will also visit the jockeys room, silks room, saddling paddock, the walking ring with its topiaries and statuary, and the carriage horses in their home under the Grandstand.

Enjoy breakfast at Clockers’ Corner before or after this fun and FREE tram ride. This is truly a unique experience!

Tours depart at 8:30 a.m. and 9:45 a.m. every Saturday and Sunday during live Racing Seasons.

For more information call (626) 574-6677
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Rick1323

Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:27 pm

There are only 2 sports I enjoy in person more than on TV. Baseball and horse racing. Baseball is a great game for shooting the breeze as you have a beer and a dog. The game itself is not always exciting, so who you attend with is important. But I grew up on baseball and it will always be a part of me.

I also grew up on live racing. Long before simulcasting, all I had were the 9 races in front of me. In my early days the only gimmick was the early double, so my handicapping has always been about picking the winning horse. Live racing is not just about watching the race. It also involves seeing who is already sweating in the paddock, who looks dull in the post parade, seeing a strong inside bias in the first 2 races, or noticing that the rail is dead.

If your primary concern is a comfortable seat, you are better off at home......but if you want the best chance of winning, that would be at the track, where not all the information comes from something other than your own eyes........
Everyone come home sound.....
Barnfour

Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:33 pm

Rick1323 wrote:There are only 2 sports I enjoy in person more than on TV. Baseball and horse racing. Baseball is a great game for shooting the breeze as you have a beer and a dog. The game itself is not always exciting, so who you attend with is important. But I grew up on baseball and it will always be a part of me.

I also grew up on live racing. Long before simulcasting, all I had were the 9 races in front of me. In my early days the only gimmick was the early double, so my handicapping has always been about picking the winning horse. Live racing is not just about watching the race. It also involves seeing who is already sweating in the paddock, who looks dull in the post parade, seeing a strong inside bias in the first 2 races, or noticing that the rail is dead.

If your primary concern is a comfortable seat, you are better off at home......but if you want the best chance of winning, that would be at the track, where not all the information comes from something other than your own eyes........
I Agree. Hockey is another sport that has to be watched in person to be appreciated.

The social aspect of watching horse racing at the track can't be duplicated at home. Of course if one has no friends like the op, watching in mom's basement on a 60 inch TV is just fine.Guess that's why it's preferred by Chris.
“The heaviest penalty for declining to the rule is to be ruled by someone inferior to yourself.”
― Plato, The Republic
Ballerina

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:54 pm

Barnfour wrote: The social aspect of watching horse racing at the track can't be duplicated at home. Of course if one has no friends like the op, watching in mom's basement on a 60 inch TV is just fine.Guess that's why it's preferred by Chris.
I was wondering how long the exposure was going to take. :lol:
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:33 pm

Ballerina wrote:
stark wrote:I understand both sides, some like the seats at the track and others prefer the toilet paper at home etc etc etc

Maybe he doesn't have a decent TV at home. Maybe he just likes to get out of the house. Maybe he's somewhat disabled and can't walk around too much. Maybe he likes being with people who like horse racing. Maybe, maybe, maybe. And, NO, I'm not one of them
They're even at Saratoga. Dozens of them stake out seats in the Carousel every day and watch Finger Lakes, Calder, Arlington, etc. as well as the races that are going on less than a hundred yards away. I'm among them on rainy days. The plastic seats beat the grandstand's wooden slats.
Catalina

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:20 pm

I think I'd like going to the track a lot better if I had somebody to go with.
Northport

Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:41 pm

Catalina wrote:I think I'd like going to the track a lot better if I had somebody to go with.
Same. I only live 40 minutes from Woodbine, and between work and horseshows I don't have a ton of time to go, but even when I want to, none of my friends family like horse racing... even though we all ride!
weeeeeeeee
Ballerina

Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:54 pm

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
Ballerina wrote:Maybe he doesn't have a decent TV at home. Maybe he just likes to get out of the house. Maybe he's somewhat disabled and can't walk around too much. Maybe he likes being with people who like horse racing. Maybe, maybe, maybe. And, NO, I'm not one of them
They're even at Saratoga. Dozens of them stake out seats in the Carousel every day and watch Finger Lakes, Calder, Arlington, etc. as well as the races that are going on less than a hundred yards away. I'm among them on rainy days. The plastic seats beat the grandstand's wooden slats.
There is nothing wrong with that. Saratoga offers a lot of free seats, and no one complains about the comfort of them. Conversely, a lot of people pass up those free seats to stand at the rail or behind the seats in the clubhouse or grandstand - hardy individuals indeed to stand on their feet for a long time.
Ballerina

Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:00 am

Ballerina wrote:

The metal chairs in the boxes are very uncomfortable. They say boxes accommodate 5 people - only if those 5 people are all under 100 lbs. I was speaking of the slat wood seats in the grandstand and clubhouse. I find them quite comfortable.
ETA - correction - not metal chairs - wooden chairs that look like they're the same one from way back in the 40's.
BlackCat

Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:49 am

I'd rather be at live racing any day. There's nothing like standing at the outer rail and feeling the ground shake as they run by! :D