Yellowstone National Park road melts due to underground heat

islandgirl45

Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:03 pm

Yikes. Glad I don't live near a potential super-volcano.
http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow ... story.html
  • Yellowstone National Park road melts into 'soupy mess'

Extreme heat from surrounding thermal areas has created a hot spot in Yellowstone National Park, melting a portion of a road and causing temporary closures in the park during the peak summer tourist season.

The more than 3-mile-long Firehole Lake Drive, an offshoot of the park’s Grand Loop Road located between the Old Faithful geyser and Madison Junction, is closed because melting asphalt has turned it into a “soupy mess,” said park spokesman Dan Hottle.

Firehole Lake Drive provides access to two of the park’s many geysers and a spring--the Great Fountain Geyser, White Dome Geyser and Firehole Lake.

Yellowstone sits on top of the caldera of a super volcano, so temperature fluctuations like this are normal for the park, Hottle said. It is not uncommon for asphalt to become soft and sticky with oil that tires can get stuck in.

But, he added, the liquefying of pavement that is now occurring is extreme and unusual . . .
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
~President Dwight Eisenhower
serenassong

Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:56 pm

You and I are glad that we don't live near this, but when it blows(and it will, just a matter of time), it will affect us all. Hopefully, we will be long gone, but if the road is melting- that has me concerned.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
Catalina

Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:40 pm

Oops... That's not reassuring at all. I seem to recall having read somewhere that with global warming will come more volcanic and tectonic activity, and always have wondered whether the slightly higher ambient can really thin the solid skin of our planet to where magma comes closer to the surface,
24Emily

Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:59 pm

Hey, everybody!
If you're bored in summer time and have no idea how to spend time cheerfully and interesting, this source is the best one to find out an amazing place able to touch your deeply with nature beauty tohttp://skywritingservice.com/blog/where-to-go-this-summer-yellowstone-national-park
Catalina

Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:11 pm

serenassong wrote:You and I are glad that we don't live near this, but when it blows(and it will, just a matter of time), it will affect us all. Hopefully, we will be long gone, but if the road is melting- that has me concerned.
Unfortunately, what with global warming, there will be a smaller amount of ground heat that can be absorbed by the atmosphere, so the ground about has to get warmer... hotter. And the more that is the case, the closer the hot magma can get to the surface. Pity that rather than doing more to fix the climate change problem, we now seem to be pinning our hopes on other earthlike planets to escape to. Well, for the well-dowered and young and healthy.
BlindLucky

Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:42 pm

It's so funny that random old posts in this particular forum section keep getting bumped by spammers. That vacuum one is another example. They're Googling phrases and spamming with their stupid website links :lol:
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Catalina

Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:47 am

BlindLucky wrote:It's so funny that random old posts in this particular forum section keep getting bumped by spammers. That vacuum one is another example. They're Googling phrases and spamming with their stupid website links :lol:
I know. Had already posted my reply by the time I realized I had fallen into a spammer's trap, but decided to leave my message up nevertheless. What with recent discoveries of earth-like "close-by" planets and related hoopla, it still seemed apropos.