Birding?

Birding?

Postby True North » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:47 am

Is anyone here a birder, specifically in western North America? I needed some help ID'ing a bird so I decided to join a Facebook group for birding and discovered there was none specific to my area. So I created a group :) If anyone is interested in joining it, you can find it here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2205312 ... 1/?fref=ts
True North

Re: Birding?

Postby Flanders » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:42 am

I'm from PA but I have a fantastic little book, called "Birds of Pennsylvania" by Stan Tekiela. I have the version that came with a leather protective cover and an audio CD of all the birds sounds. Its arranged by color, so even if you only get a quick glance, its usually pretty easy to figure out what type of bird it was. The book includes a picture and some facts about birds that are year-round, seasonal, and migratory. I think he published similar books for other states.
Flanders

Postby serenassong » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:36 am

CT here, but I have a collection of bird eggs that Roger Tory Peterson did, as well as his guides- they are outstanding.
http://www.amazon.com/Peterson-Field-Ea ... 0547152469

He did other nature field guides as well- and was an expert in bird calls
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
serenassong

Postby Carotene » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:22 pm

I'm in SW Ontario does that count lol! Since we moved out to the country 3 years ago, I've become a bird enthusiast. I have 5 different feeders and my family got a bird ID book and binoculars for Xmas. It's neat seeing the different kinds and their behaviour. Put out a bird bath too and that's just funny to watch. Some drink and some bathe. My bf made me a bird house last Xmas that looked just like our house! Put it out first week of April and had a mom and eggs not much later after that. So cool!

I'd even eat my words and go on a birding vacation now lol! Before I would have rolled my eyes "laaaame."

:)
Jenn
Formerly Play the King
Carotene

Postby serenassong » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:47 pm

As far as birding vacations go, Belize is supposed to be the Holy Land of Birders.

http://www.birdinginbelize.com/birding_belize.html
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
serenassong

Postby Miesque1973 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:23 pm

I live in Texas, so I don't know a lot about birds in your area, but the Cornell University website has info on every bird in North America.

This site is great: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/search

(Is the Ivorybill Woodpecker extinct or not?)

I used the site to ID what kind of woodpecker we have in our neighborhood. :)

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
Miesque1973

Postby Flanders » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:48 am

Miesque1973 wrote:(Is the Ivorybill Woodpecker extinct or not?)

Its believed to be extinct but people have reported seeing it. Of course, people have reported seeing bigfoot too.
It would be great if the Ivorybill was still alive. But even if it is, the population is next to nothing. There are very few(if any) forests left that it could live in.
Flanders

Postby Miesque1973 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:35 am

Flanders wrote:
Miesque1973 wrote:(Is the Ivorybill Woodpecker extinct or not?)

Its believed to be extinct but people have reported seeing it. Of course, people have reported seeing bigfoot too.
It would be great if the Ivorybill was still alive. But even if it is, the population is next to nothing. There are very few(if any) forests left that it could live in.

Yeah, I remember seeing a (slightly silly) documentary about the birds, where someone claimed to have spotted one in Arkansas (?), but the bird filmed in flight was dismissed as a pileated woodpecker. Since ivory-bills were known to tear away bark from trees to get to their food, the lack of trees in that condition in areas where they've been 'spotted' would indicate that all sightings have just been pileateds. They are pretty similar-looking.

Pretty sad that they're probably gone. They were beautiful birds.

~Miesque
Miesque1973

Postby ElPrado2 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:21 am

I see pileateds all the time. I had them in my oaks yesterday. Also red bellied, flickers, downys, and red headeds. I had immature red headeds in my oaks yesterday, too. My next door neighbor has a fountain bird bath that runs constantly. The woodpeckers fight the blue jays for the use of it all the time. The jays will be in it, then a squadron of woodpeckers will dive bomb them out of it.
The woodpeckers are really fun when there is a lugger hatch coming out. Luggers are huge grasshoppers that start out black and yellow but eventually fade out to green and yellow. They get to at least 4 inches long. The woodies seem to regard a new hatch as a smorgasbord. They even get on the ground chasing the things around.
ElPrado2

Postby Miesque1973 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:15 pm

Shoot, I'm waiting for the day I might get a relatively up-close view of an Eastern bluebird! :) We have had painted buntings visit our feeders. Gorgeous little birds.

I did get a pretty close-up view of a tufted titmouse one day. Poor little guy got in the car and couldn't figure out how to get out. It took a lot of careful waving of arms and 'swishing' to get him out again. I suspect he was scared out of his wits.

~Miesque
Miesque1973

Next

Return to Horsin' Around