Birding?

Flanders

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:42 pm

seahawkgal wrote:
Catalina wrote:The blue jays along with their almost requisite cardinal companion made their first fall appearance here one or two weeks ago. Clear sign that autumn has arrived. And, indeed, we have morning lows in the low 50's forecast for middle of next week. Seems like lows were 75 to 78 only yesterday.
God I cannot stand it when the Bluejays arrive. They are the noisiest birds. No more Robins anymore. I miss them and their songs, chirps. I love Robins. We live in town so we don't get too many cool birds. Basically just Robins and Sparrows. When fall arrives, the Bluejays come. Oh, did I mention that I hate Bluejays? :lol:
When we go over to our friend's house out in the country, they have such cool birds. Chickadees, Cardinals, Tufted Titmouse, Morning Doves, Redbreasted Grosbeaks, Woodpeckers, Finches, oh and now that fall is here the loud and annoying Jays.

I miss my Robins!!!! :(
When I used to have an outside cat, a pair of Blue Jays and a pair of Grackles thought the cat food was there personal banquet. They both make horrible, loud noises all the time. They preferred two of the pieces the best and would take all those first, then they would come back for a third kind, but they wouldn't eat the last one.
ElPrado2

Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:59 pm

I am only a couple of hundred yards off of Tampa Bay. I see ospreys all the time. I get red tailed hawks, sparrow hawks, occasionally see an eagle. After a rain, there is a flock of ibises that comes by removing grubs from the lawns. Spoonbills wade around if I walk to the corner, but it is getting harder to see them because one of the state organizations put a bunch of mangroves along the shore. At least 5 species of heron or egret, Great Blue, Green, Snowy, Cattle, and Reddish come by. Storks. Cardinals, jays, robins, titmouses, woodpeckers, wrens, warblers while migrating... I have to keep up with filling my bird bath. A bunch of others.
Miesque1973

Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:12 pm

There's a pair of bald eagles that nest every spring along Highway 29, toward Llano, Texas.

http://www.cottonwoodphotography.com/Ll ... 2-2013.htm

Lazuli bunting...argh...I know I must have meant indigo. ;)

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
Catalina

Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:30 pm

Gorgeous eagle pictures.

And no, not an indigo bunting either, it was far too big for one of those. Almost certainly a type of blue bird.
ElPrado2

Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:43 pm

Oh, yeah, mourning doves. They sit, boo hooing, on the power lines that the companies are trying to make us believe they are taking down. I do not have flocks. I have masses. I am beginning to think they are taking over for passenger pigeons. The grasses start seeding, the oaks start dropping acorns, the flower gardens are making the mistake of maturing, and the doves are going berserk.
serenassong

Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:34 pm

My old apartment was a turn of the century Victorian with 3 floors- and the upper floor was a converted attic. Used to love to sit up there and hear the mourning doves coo- it was very comforting to me somehow.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
Carotene

Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:46 pm

It's neat learning who gets what birds based on where everyone is. That osprey is a looker!

At my feeders over the past two years, I've seen cardinals, many different types of finches, nuthatches, wrens, sparrows, hummingbirds, and this spring we saw a pair of red- breasted grosbeaks! Lots of mourning doves whom I just love. They love to bathe in the home made bird bath we have on the deck (a lasagne pan). My yard gets blue jays, but they don't eat our food so they're not annoying. Grackles were here this spring and made a nest in the bird house my bf made me. Wasn't thrilled as I wanted nuthatches or finches (and made it specifically for those but Mom just stuffed herself in!), but a lot of articles say not to be surprised if you don't get birds the first year so it was cool to have it used within weeks of being put up.

My barn has herons and swallows too.

I feed safflower seed most of the year so that helps keep away unwanted pesky birds and squirrels. Do have a chipmunk though that sits in my ground feeder with the doves lol

I'm not getting many birds right now...can't remember if it was the same last year this time and it's just migrating time until the winter bird round. Time will tell I guess.

Jenn
Formerly Play the King
Bookman

Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:28 am

I'm not a "birder" per se, but when a friend sent me this link to an app to identify birds, I downloaded it and have enjoyed playing with it.
There's a link to the right of the Scarlet Tanger for info (The Merlin Bird ID App), or in the case of iPhone, just look for it in the App Store, It's free

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Page.aspx?pid=1478
“I wish you could run the races with no jocks and just put chickens on ’em.” - Billy Gowan
serenassong

Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:52 pm

Right now, I have house sparrows, Tufted Titmice, Doves, Blue Jays, Slate Juncos, Downy Woodpeckers, Northern Flickers, Nuthatches and Chickadees. Does anyone else find the Chickadees very brave and curious about humans? Mine will sit just a few feet away from me and sing away, lol.

Any others that the rest of you seeing?

I should add that the Housatonic River is not that far from my house, so I can hear all kinds of geese, ducks, hawks, and even the cry of a Bald Eagle now and again. Usually during the spring- a pair of mated ducks likes to come by and feed from the food that falls from the feeders.
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
Flanders

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:01 pm

BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:15 pm

You have a bluebird-stuffed gourd! Cool.
RuffiantoRags

Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:04 pm

I am in NY, near the CT border. I feed the birds also and have many chicadee's, junco's, nuthatches, cardinals, blue jays, red headed woodpeckers, downy woodpeckers, titmouse, mourning doves in the winter months. In the summer months I had a pair of eastern phoebes build a nest and raise 5 chicks and we get a lot of cedar waxwings. I've even seen a pilated woodpecker which was a big thrill. Off topic, I had a bobcat run across the road in front of me today, wish it had stopped after crossing so I could get a better look at it.
serenassong

Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:35 pm

RuffiantoRags wrote:I am in NY, near the CT border. I feed the birds also and have many chicadee's, junco's, nuthatches, cardinals, blue jays, red headed woodpeckers, downy woodpeckers, titmouse, mourning doves in the winter months. In the summer months I had a pair of eastern phoebes build a nest and raise 5 chicks and we get a lot of cedar waxwings. I've even seen a pilated woodpecker which was a big thrill. Off topic, I had a bobcat run across the road in front of me today, wish it had stopped after crossing so I could get a better look at it.
Well, howdy neighbor! I am waving to you from the other side of the line in CT- Brewster/Patterson/and Southeast, NY are near me- so it would make sense that we get the same type of birds.
Flanders

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:58 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:You have a bluebird-stuffed gourd! Cool.
Yes, it was quite the surprise. A guy at work made me 2 gourds and I hung them up in Spring. No birds used them until it started getting cold in October. The one night I came home and there were two of them in the one gourd, both looking out of the hole. He is usually in there every night. I saw him when I got back from the grocery store earlier.
RuffiantoRags

Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:19 am

serenassong wrote:
RuffiantoRags wrote:I am in NY, near the CT border. I feed the birds also and have many chicadee's, junco's, nuthatches, cardinals, blue jays, red headed woodpeckers, downy woodpeckers, titmouse, mourning doves in the winter months. In the summer months I had a pair of eastern phoebes build a nest and raise 5 chicks and we get a lot of cedar waxwings. I've even seen a pilated woodpecker which was a big thrill. Off topic, I had a bobcat run across the road in front of me today, wish it had stopped after crossing so I could get a better look at it.
Well, howdy neighbor! I am waving to you from the other side of the line in CT- Brewster/Patterson/and Southeast, NY are near me- so it would make sense that we get the same type of birds.
Hi there serenassong, where in CT do you live? I am in the Hudson Valley,10 min from the CT border of Lakeville.
serenassong

Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:44 pm

RuffiantoRags wrote:
serenassong wrote:
Hi there serenassong, where in CT do you live? I am in the Hudson Valley,10 min from the CT border of Lakeville.
New Milford, just north of Danbury- so it appears you are to the north of me. :D
Flanders

Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:18 pm

I know this is a really old thread but I remembered it when I looked out my window earlier and saw the Indigo Buntings had brought their babies to my bird bath! I couldn't figure out what they were at first but then I saw the male chasing off all the other birds. So I did a search online and sure enough, they were juvenile indigo buntings.

I didn't know the bird bath was empty and it always amazes me how fast the birds realize I put water in it. The average time is 5-10 minutes for a flock to be out there waiting their turn. This even happened earlier this year when I initially got the bird bath. It was my grandmothers and my family said I could have it. I want to get pictures but I had to go refill it after 2 hours, they had splashed 3/4 of the water out.
serenassong

Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:54 pm

I have 2 bird feeders in the yard, and a large flat rock that I throw some bird food on. As soon as I turn my back from the rock, the birds are on it- they sit in the tree next to it and make lots of noise.

I find the Black Capped Chickadees are very brave birds, and almost land on me at times, and very curious.
seahawkgal

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:54 pm

My back yard is a bird haven. I am always looking at them and observing them.
I live in Michigan in a wooded area so birds are everywhere.
I have identified many that frequent our feeder or the ground below it. Northern Cardinals(wimpiest birds ever but beautiful), Tufted Titmouse, Rose Breasted Grosbeaks, Black capped chickadees, Downy woodpeckers, White-breasted nuthatches, Hairy woodpeckers, Red-Bellied woodpeckers, Mourning Doves, American goldfinches, various sparrows, Robins, Bluejays, and once in a blue moon(early spring) Pileated Woodpeckers. At night after the Robins shut up and it gets dark the Eastern Whip-poor-wills start singing. They sound so cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIxfVSS_65o
Cardinals are the shyest birds ever. If we are sitting out on our deck they chirp to each other endlessly and won't come to the feeder. The other birds don't give damn if we are sitting there or not.
One day a woodpecker was on the base of the tree the feeder is on and a dove was on the ground eating the dropped seeds and the dove just attacked the woodpecker. That is not the first time I have seen doves act that way. They may look peaceful, but they will fight. I think it's funny. The Pileated Woodpeckers are HUGE and beautiful. One week they came around right after my husband cut a few trees down. They seemed to love the stumps of the trees.
Last edited by seahawkgal on Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seahawkgal

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:59 pm

serenassong wrote:I have 2 bird feeders in the yard, and a large flat rock that I throw some bird food on. As soon as I turn my back from the rock, the birds are on it- they sit in the tree next to it and make lots of noise.

I find the Black Capped Chickadees are very brave birds, and almost land on me at times, and very curious.
I love the Black Capped Chickadees too. They are brave and vocal little birds. If we leave some feed on the deck rails, they are the only birds that will eat from it when we are sitting there. I love their calls too. It almost sounds like they are saying "Chick-a-dee-dee-dee" lol