The movie thread

Starine

Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:45 pm

So... are we just not gonna talk about Black Panther and how terrific it is?
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:21 pm

I still haven't seen it, so...not yet? :oops:
I'm going to see it, but trying to schedule movie day with my usual companion has been complicated by stuff. I don't really want to go by myself, because I'm pretty sure there's going to be a lot to discuss.
At least we can be pretty sure that it's going to be in theaters for a good long time. ;)
Tessablue

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:52 pm

Starine wrote:So... are we just not gonna talk about Black Panther and how terrific it is?
I think certain forum members would rather pretend it doesn't exist... but it was awesome and I'm so happy that it's been this successful. I hope it's a gamechanger for blockbusters (and movies in general) going forward.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:09 pm

There was an interesting article in the LA Times about how blockbuster movies have changed over the last year or so, as 'auteur' directors have created more original takes than the usual comic book fare. Instead of feeling like just more of the same in a line of bigger, louder, more-CGI-is-better, skip-the-character-development movies, we're getting what the author called 'artisanal' blockbusters.
Movies like Logan, Guardians of the Galaxy II, Wonder Woman, Thor: Ragnarok, Star Wars: The Last Jedi and, of course, Black Panther, have given us genre blockbusters that also happen to be pretty damn good movies.
Starine

Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:49 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Starine wrote:So... are we just not gonna talk about Black Panther and how terrific it is?
I think certain forum members would rather pretend it doesn't exist... but it was awesome and I'm so happy that it's been this successful. I hope it's a gamechanger for blockbusters (and movies in general) going forward.
Thanks for chiming in. I thought it was artfully done, with a terrific and sympathetic villain and a very dynamic cast.

And even if certain forum members want to pretend it doesn't exist... REPRESENTATION MATTERS.

Let us know what you think, BA, once you do see it.
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:05 am

I'm SO happy that The Shape of Water won Best Picture. :D
If you want to talk Representation, that movie had it all. 8-)
stark

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:21 am

They should add one more Oscar......to the box office winner of the year.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Ballerina

Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:33 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I'm SO happy that The Shape of Water won Best Picture. :D
If you want to talk Representation, that movie had it all. 8-)
I did not see this movie, so am holding it at arm's length until I do.

But, as I understand it, the lead is a mute female who signs throughout the movie and is nominated for a Best Actress Award. She rescues a human-like aquatic creature that is about to be euthanized. She rescues him and takes him home to her apartment where she keeps him in her bathtub. Somehow they indulge in love making. Bad guy finds out where the creature is and attempts to recapture it. Girl and creature about to escape, but they get shot. Creature carries her into the water where their wounds heal. She grows gills, and they live happily ever after.

I guess I have to see it to appreciate it, but it do seem pretty far fetched. Maybe there's a veiled lesson to be learned?
Ballerina

Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:02 pm

stark wrote:Flipped on GET OUT last night, didn't know anything about it ahead of time and I swear the description on HBO said "comedy"

Somebody please explain any humor, thanks.

Academy awards Best actor? Best movie?
don't think so.
Another creepy movie. I watched it to the end hoping it had some redeeming quality. It did not. It was as bad as watching Passage to India.
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:57 pm

Ballerina, I'm sorry that you read some synopsis on Shape of Water that provides only a Cliff Notes take on the movie.
Spoilers on plot points are something I try to avoid, even if I'm having to wait a while to see a movie. That paragraph you just posted does no justice to the way the movie unfolds. And you may have just 'spoiled' it for those who have not yet seen the movie. :(
Is it a fantasy? Yes. Maybe fable is a better word...and IMHO it was fabulous.
If you just hate fantasy, maybe this movie isn't for you, but please don't make your decision based on those plot spoilers.
Ballerina

Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:10 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Ballerina, I'm sorry that you read some synopsis on Shape of Water that provides only a Cliff Notes take on the movie.
Spoilers on plot points are something I try to avoid, even if I'm having to wait a while to see a movie. That paragraph you just posted does no justice to the way the movie unfolds. And you may have just 'spoiled' it for those who have not yet seen the movie. :(
If you just hate fantasy, maybe this movie isn't for you, but please don't make your decision based on those plot spoilers.
No I didn't use any plot spoilers. I went on wiki and also a couple of other critiques of the movie. I didn't post anyone else's words - just my own. And most likely, people will be more curious about the film because of what I wrote. I'm sure people research these things before they go see any movie. I'll definitely watch it when it comes on TV but won't spend money to watch it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shape_of_Water_(film)

Of the 9 movies nominated, I saw Dunkirk, Darkest Hour, Three Bridges, and Get Out. I would have been pleased if any one of the first 3 were awarded Best Picture. Get Out was one great big waste of time, in my opinion - of course.
Catalina

Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:24 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Ballerina, I'm sorry that you read some synopsis on Shape of Water that provides only a Cliff Notes take on the movie.
Still plan to see it, even though Ballerina regrettably provided a "summary of the storyline". It IS less enjoyable when you know up front how it all will end.
Ballerina

Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:30 pm

Catalina wrote:
Still plan to see it, even though Ballerina regrettably provided a "summary of the storyline". It IS less enjoyable when you know up front how it all will end.
Sorry about that - I just assumed (bad thing to do) that people check things out before they go see a movie. It's becoming so expensive.
starrydreamer

Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:51 pm

Catalina wrote:
Yep, add me to the "haven't seen it but still will even if the basic plot was spoiled" boat.

I wait until movies hit an online streaming service. It's difficult to go out to the theater when you have a kid with medical needs beyond what a usual basic babysitter can provide. I saw most of last year's Best Picture nominees that way (still in love with Arrival, by the way).
Ballerina

Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:54 pm

Gimme me a break this this "spoiled plot" accusation. Reviews of this film with the entire plot have been on the internet since last Fall. Where the heck do you think I got it being that I hadn't seen the movie?
stark

Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:12 pm

FWIW.....going into the movie house I had a pretty good understanding of the plot line for Dunkirk, The Post and The Darkest Hour, didn't seem to ruin it at all for me. ;)
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Catalina

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:00 pm

stark wrote:FWIW.....going into the movie house I had a pretty good understanding of the plot line for Dunkirk, The Post and The Darkest Hour, didn't seem to ruin it at all for me. ;)
Advantages of historical movies.
Ballerina

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:02 pm

stark wrote:FWIW.....going into the movie house I had a pretty good understanding of the plot line for Dunkirk, The Post and The Darkest Hour, didn't seem to ruin it at all for me. ;)
Pretty much Three Billboards, as well.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:25 am

All the reviews I saw didn't spill some of the specific details you wrote, Bal. Maybe there are people who want to know the complete sequence of events in a movie, but neither I nor anyone I know want to know that much.
This is a fantasy, not the Titanic, so, yeah, you spoiled some of the movie's surprises. If you feel compelled to do that with a movie in the future, could you please write SPOILERS TO FOLLOW before you do? Please? :(
Tessablue

Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:52 am

Ballerina wrote:
stark wrote:Flipped on GET OUT last night, didn't know anything about it ahead of time and I swear the description on HBO said "comedy"

Somebody please explain any humor, thanks.

Academy awards Best actor? Best movie?
don't think so.
Another creepy movie. I watched it to the end hoping it had some redeeming quality. It did not. It was as bad as watching Passage to India.
Is there an Oscar for "least surprising opinion"?