A Different Kind of Horse - Wild (Pics)...

canvasjockey

Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:08 pm

As live racing is on hiatus around here in Arizona for the summer, I have found something equally as cool to occupy my need for fresh horse photo ops. Up near the Phoenix area is the Salt River - a popular recreational area. There are wild horses all over the place, standing in the water watching kayakers and tubers float past and rolling in the dirt near picnic tables. These are unusual in that they spend a lot of time not just cooling off in the water, but a large part of their diet is the eel grasses that grow in the river (not a normal wild horse diet). They are very used to people so they just hang out and do their thing making them ideal for wild horse photos (which to me ultimately means paintings).

They were close to gone about 3 weeks ago because the Forest Service announced plans to round them all up. The plan went somewhat viral and the public outcry saved them... temporarily (a resolution everyone can be happy with is being attempted right now). So I schlepped my husband and camera up north a couple hours twice so far this month... I plan to make as many more trips as I can over the next few months. Anyway... thought some may enjoy pics of horses in a more natural state!

Roan Stud dining in the river...

A 2 day old filly...

Mom keeps a careful eye on the new little one...

Chestnut stud...
Carole ~ Equine Artist
Website/Blog - Facebook - Prints and Originals on Etsy & Fine Art America

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people." - W. C. Fields</div>
Starine

Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:46 pm

I love the wide variety of colors in America's mustangs; I could look at photos of them all day. Pintos, grullas, blue roans, palominos, sorrels, bay roans, greys, duns, red roans, blacks, bucksins and bays. All lovely.
Insane Crazy

Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:54 pm

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I love wild horses. The red roan in particular is quite striking.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
lurkey mclurker

Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:20 pm

That behavior (dining on the eel grass) is really fascinating. I hadn't heard of it before. :mrgreen:
Sparrow Castle

Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:59 pm

Wonderful pictures! Thanks for sharing.
canvasjockey

Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:55 pm

Thanks guys! The fact that these horses have adapted to eating the eel grass from the river is one of the unique things about them, I imagine it's probably much more nutritionally rich than the standard desert foliage away from the river and lends to them thriving so much more than one would expect in such a hostile environment.
Carole ~ Equine Artist

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people." - W. C. Fields</div>
canvasjockey

Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:04 pm

Finally getting a start on my first painting of these horses. This is just the initial color lay-in - off to a fun start!

Carole ~ Equine Artist

BaroqueAgain1

Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:54 pm

I love it just the way it is...very Impressionistic. :D
canvasjockey

Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:42 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I love it just the way it is...very Impressionistic. :D
I kinda did too :P ... but just can't leave things alone! Here's the finished piece, and another I did of the little 2 day old colt (who I thought might be a filly at the time) who's name is Fudge...

Carole ~ Equine Artist

Starine

Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:46 pm

Splendid, Carole! Thank you for sharing your beautiful art with us.
Insane Crazy

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 pm

These are just stunning. Yes, thank you so much for sharing your works!
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
canvasjockey

Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:40 pm

Thanks Starine and Insane Crazy!

I might get to head out on Friday to get more pics, and trying to put together a trip in October or November where we spend the morning seeing the wild horses then head over the Turf Paradise... basically a perfect day (it's a little strange that I've lived 2 hours south of Phoenix for 32 years and have only been to TP once)!

Here's another wild horse painting just finished... "Salt River Cuisine"...
Carole ~ Equine Artist

canvasjockey

Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:36 pm

A week after getting lots of photos of horse farms and Keeneland while in Kentucky, this past weekend I made it back up to the Salt River and got some new photos of the wild horses!

Deja Vu - after getting pics a week before of yearling TB colts wrestling in Kentucky, I got to witness the same scene on the Salt River! Yearling colts will be yearling colts, lol, and in Kentucky it became quickly clear why the (comparatively well behaved) fillies are kept in a separate pasture. Sugar and spice vs snails and puppy dog tails :lol: !

More of these gangly, awkward (yet still kind of adorable) yearling colts go at it again, lol...

This is the grey stud for one of the bands, I think his name is Shadowfax

The grey stud and the chestnut from a nearby band have a discussion regarding boundaries.

One of the yearling colts worn out from being a goofball in training.

A cute little foal, about 3-4 weeks old (a filly from what I can tell).

Mares and the little one.

With a fair share of pregnant bellies evident... looks like we can expect lots more babies in the coming months! EVERY season is breeding season for these guys ;) !
Carole ~ Equine Artist

BaroqueAgain1

Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:38 pm

Lovely photos, and I'm so pleased to see that those horses appear to be well-fed and in good condition. Living wild can be hard on a horse, and there are so many dangers, especially for the little ones.
canvasjockey

Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:02 pm

Yeah, they do pretty well considering they live in a harsh desert climate, though they probably wouldn't look so good or fare so well if it wasn't for the oasis of the Salt River. Of course there's a small contingent of "Chromie" like followers on FB that can be weirdly irrational ("Oh noes... one's limping, someone needs to get him to a vet!"), but that seems to come with the territory of things like this 8-)!
Carole ~ Equine Artist

Delamont

Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:19 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:These are just stunning. Yes, thank you so much for sharing your works!

Ditto that!
Flanders

Fri May 13, 2016 5:54 pm

The Arizona Governor Doug Ducey signed a bill to protect the Salt River horses. The protections are conditional upon an agreement between the Department of Agriculture and the United States Forest Service.

http://www.azfamily.com/story/31949157/ ... ild-horses
canvasjockey

Sun May 15, 2016 3:01 pm

Flanders wrote:The Arizona Governor Doug Ducey signed a bill to protect the Salt River horses. The protections are conditional upon an agreement between the Department of Agriculture and the United States Forest Service.

http://www.azfamily.com/story/31949157/ ... ild-horses
Yes... very cool that they got this accomplished... and I promise I'll try NOT to keep calling him Gov. Douche-y, lol :P!
Carole ~ Equine Artist