Happiness

Catalina

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:09 am

BlindLucky wrote:
Catalina wrote:Thinking of maybe buying, BL, or just window shopping?
Window shopping with my imaginary lottery winnings, photographing, and our bloodstock guy is looking for mares for a client with money so I'm totally tagging along at Keeneland :D

Plus, a 2 yr old I own an interest in is at the farm in Paris, and I want to see her before she ships to Fair Hill. I can't wait for November!
Sounds like an utterly fabulous trip! I envy you.
starrydreamer

Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:27 pm

Found out on Monday that I passed the bar exam in my state! At the end of the month, I will be fully licensed to be an attorney.

Now I just need that elusive job...
Catalina

Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:34 pm

Congratulations, starrydreamer!
Ballerina

Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:37 pm

Passing the bar first shot? WOW! That's impressive. Congratulations and best of luck findng a job with a firm worthy of having someone as bright as you.
serenassong

Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:39 pm

Congrats on that, the Bar is not an easy exam to pass!
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
Horsecrazygal21

Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:48 pm

Finally, getting to watch Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing I love it!! It's my favorite version of this play. The play itself is my favorite Shakespeare play ever. If you haven't seen it watch it!!
starrydreamer

Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:49 pm

Ballerina wrote:Passing the bar first shot? WOW! That's impressive. Congratulations and best of luck findng a job with a firm worthy of having someone as bright as you.
Weeellll, to be fair, the pass rate in MN is something around 90%. The odds were in my favor. But I'm still excited.

Thanks, guys! I'm still hunting for that elusive judicial clerkship. But in the meantime, I've entered the world of independent contractors and legal copywriting so I can contribute a little to the household income.
Pan Zareta

Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:10 pm

Congratulations, Starry Dreamer. And good luck with the job hunt. Too bad you live in another state. I have a friend who's a state appeals court judge, and she is always looking for a clerk. The good ones move up to bigger and better jobs.
SunKing

Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:57 pm

Way to go, Starry!!! That's fantastic! I have a friend who took the Maryland bar twice and never got through. She just took a job with the govt doing legal work in Missouri.

Today is my parents 37th wedding anniversary!! :)
Somnambulist

Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:28 pm

I'm getting a promotion.. or rather half of one.

Maybe this means I don't have to go back to school lol
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
dustino140

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:35 pm

Somnambulist wrote:I'm getting a promotion.. or rather half of one.

Congrats!
Tessablue

Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:10 am

Congrats starry and Som!

Turns out my work is in danger of getting scooped and I'm now trying to balance classes and teaching with tons and tons of labwork, but on the plus side, my lab is the best work environment anyone could ever hope for and my advisor is the greatest advisor in the long history of advisors. He has this uncanny ability to say exactly the right thing every time I'm in danger of stressing too much... and we talk about football and horse racing almost as much as we talk about science. It rules.
TapitsGal

Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:01 am

On the downside the house we were going to move into in spring fell through, it just ended up needing too much work and we had to back out. on the bright side,we only have two more months of living with Kerry!!!(YESS!!!) because Mike said that once December rolls around,we're going to seriously start being shown properties again(Although this time only him and Sue will go..its easy enough for the two of them to say their going out on a "date" when they are really going to look at houses, but its harder to get all 3 of us out of the house without Kerry being MORE paranoid then she already is.. we don't want to lie,and its sad we even have to do it this way,but she's so batshit crazy we're afraid to make her angry because she could get MORE nasty and make it more miserable for us than she already is(if that's possible)...)If we had sue's way we'd get out now and just live in a hotel for two months but we can't afford it.Sue and I have been looking at properties online but the problem is everytime a property that meets our specs(3 bdrooms,2 baths,2 car garage or barn,under 240k) makes the list, it usually doesn't last and by the time our realtor gets around to asking us about a showing and we've talked about it and decided we want to see it,the property is under contract..the last house we looked at was on the market a little over a week before it sold
starrydreamer

Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:32 am

Somnambulist wrote:I'm getting a promotion.. or rather half of one.

Woo! Congrats!

I caved on what kind of dog I wanted (hubby wanted a Chihuahua, I had my eye on a miniature poodle or I wanted to wait for a Wheaten to show up for adoption), so yesterday we adopted a 4 month old, 5 lb Chihuahua puppy. He is ridiculously timid, but likes his crate and the comfy places we've set up for him when a lap is not available. He has no interest in treats or toys so far and his water bowl scares him. But we went outside and he enjoyed watching the squirrels.
Oldowan

Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:24 pm

Tessablue wrote:Congrats starry and Som!

Turns out my work is in danger of getting scooped and I'm now trying to balance classes and teaching with tons and tons of labwork, but on the plus side, my lab is the best work environment anyone could ever hope for and my advisor is the greatest advisor in the long history of advisors. He has this uncanny ability to say exactly the right thing every time I'm in danger of stressing too much... and we talk about football and horse racing almost as much as we talk about science. It rules.
It must not be scooped! Axolotls! Axolotls!

Congrats on the half-promotion, Som!

I'm organizing my lab like a boss. Well, except that over half of the boxes are "question boxes" that I don't want to break into for fear of scattering some essential info, so I'm....lining them up neatly.
Somnambulist

Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:13 pm

Thanks guys. I feel rather fortunate, and the connections where I work can't be beat. I've really been working my ass off lately, and I hope this pays off. Certainty can't hurt, and it'll get me to where I think I can to go... NYC connections can't really be beat. And really, my opening my mouth about my love of racing is really what got me here. This sport has given me so much...

Hope your work doesn't get scooped TB. That would blow. At least your dude is cool. Being surrounded by good people is really, IMO, the only thing that matters. Makes everything else so tolerable.

Speaking of Wheatens.. the people across the street just got one. I'm thinking of asking them to borrow her for an extended period of time. As in forever. She looks just like my old dog when he was a puppy, and I'm fairly sure there is not a cuter breed of dog. I can't wait to get another one some day. At least you know if your new puppy likes dogs, the wheaten will get along with it just fine. There isn't anything they don't get along with....
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:18 pm

Starrydreamer, your Chi pup may grow out of his timidity. Don't be surprised if he turns into a four-legged banty rooster, sure that he's the boss of the block. Y'know, the whole "it's the size of the fight in the dog, not the size of the dog in the fight" thing. :mrgreen:
Ballerina

Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:42 am

On the 23rd I will finally see the last of Bill's La-zy-Boy recliner which is going on 16 years old. It looks worse than Fraser's father's. What an eyesore.

On QVC last night, I saw La-zy-Boy recliners. Their Legacy, leather, memory foam recliner was $800 + tax - a significant difference than what I was about to pay in their store. I haven't bought anything on QVC since 1997. Just happened to stumble on it skimming through the tv channels.

I told Bill. He's not happy. He does not want to part with the old, but he'll adjust.
PONYRCR

Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:57 am

Yesterday I did the Long Beach Half Marathon. I was hoping to finish in under 3 hours. I finished in 2:56.23. I took nearly seven minutes off my previous best time. :)
serenassong

Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:24 am

PONYRCR wrote:Yesterday I did the Long Beach Half Marathon. I was hoping to finish in under 3 hours. I finished in 2:56.23. I took nearly seven minutes off my previous best time. :)
That's good for you, nice to break a previous personal best.

Whenever I am in the kitchen at night cleaning up- the dog likes sit in there with me. He follows me around and looks into the dishwasher as I load it. It's like he's trying to help- it's so cute. :D
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars