TV Discussion Thread

sweettalk
Posts: 1985
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:14 pm

Catalina wrote:
sweettalk wrote:
Catalina wrote:Melting does not destroy gold, just its shape. It would still have the metal value, and was routinely re-cast into new coins, jewelry or whatever. The bank of course might prefer payment in coin, and if so, recasting megabuck amounts into coins presumably would take a certain amount of time.
i was worried about getting stuff in it; pieces of wood, dirt, etc, stuff that made it impure, as opposed to literally destroying. sorry, i worded that silly. but like, you'd have to melt it and get the gross stuff out maybe? and then like you said if they need to recast it, it could be a great big nightmare.

BA1, I totally missed that. my mum routinely watches every episode at least twice, maybe i should follow her lead. never too late to learn from your mum!
Getting out the wood and general crud would be the easiest part, it would burn off long before the gold would start to melt. As would anything else that was flammable.
i'm gonna youtube this because melting gold w fire coming out of it sounds awesome.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9885
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:20 pm

Well, those fans who were imagining a match between Sansa Stark and the handsome young Dickon Tarley are going to be disappointed. :shock:
sweettalk
Posts: 1985
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:08 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Well, those fans who were imagining a match between Sansa Stark and the handsome young Dickon Tarley are going to be disappointed. :shock:
i'm just relieved i was wrong abt drogon.

catalina - i want to melt gold for them because it looks awesome.
greyhorse
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:53 pm

Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:14 am

The next episode is gonna be devastating. Too many good characters are in danger. I'm scared.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9885
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:56 am

Too many good characters are in danger.

You mean The Magnificent Seven of Westeros going Beyond the Wall? I'm guessing that our GoT Seven will have more survivors than the original Seven (either samurai or gunfighters) did.
Best guess for survivors? John Snow (of course), the Hound (he appears to have a greater purpose?), Gendry (because even GoT wouldn't bring back Robert's only surviving son to just kill him off an episode later) and Jorah (I know he's headed toward some sort of noble death, but I feel like it's got to be by Dany's side).
At risk: Tormund (although probably not yet), Beric (maybe now he can die?) and the Brotherhood's Red Priest (whose name escapes me :oops: ).
Probably goners: All those Free Folk accompanying our Seven. They're like all those nameless Star Trek crewmen with the red uniform shirts who are the ones to die on an away mission. :P
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:50 am

The Hound has to be Azor Ahai. Jon Snow and Dany are too obvious.

Poor Gilly. Sam should have let her finish her sentence.

I'm also not sure which Stark sister is pissing me off more. They're both terrible.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Squally
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:45 pm

Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:15 pm

Somnambulist wrote:The Hound has to be Azor Ahai. Jon Snow and Dany are too obvious.
Martin usually doesn't do obvious things. Never heard this theory, want to walk me though it? <G>
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:26 pm

Squally wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:The Hound has to be Azor Ahai. Jon Snow and Dany are too obvious.
Martin usually doesn't do obvious things. Never heard this theory, want to walk me though it? <G>
Duh. ;)

It's a little stretchy in some places but I refuse to believe it's John or Dany. I like The Hound. I'm also ok with the Jamie theories.. although those are stretchier. I have a long commute to work and at 6 in the morning I read a lot of BS since it's all I'm capable of.

The Hound's face is born of fire. He was left for dead by Ayra but found his way back (resurrection). He found some peace in the little colony at the end of season 6 (redemption?). His empathy for others is growing - he's come full circle. Why else did they spend so much time on that scene with the Brothers and him in the house focusing on those skeletons? Most importantly he looks into the fire and he sees.

But we'll see. I never watch TV and everyone in my life is happy I don't, because my obsession level is next level. I have loved this storyline for so long, can't help it.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
sweettalk
Posts: 1985
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:16 pm

next episode got an early "oops" airing... i will not spoil it (if you want to know, PM me), but i will say you need to have tissues ready.
greyhorse
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:53 pm

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:27 pm

sweettalk wrote:next episode got an early "oops" airing... i will not spoil it (if you want to know, PM me), but i will say you need to have tissues ready.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh............

I knew it. Don't tell me. I'll just wait until Sunday and into the Monday workday to wallow in misery.
Squally
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:45 pm

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:32 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Squally wrote:
Somnambulist wrote: It's a little stretchy in some places but I refuse to believe it's John or Dany. I like The Hound. I'm also ok with the Jamie theories.. although those are stretchier. I have a long commute to work and at 6 in the morning I read a lot of BS since it's all I'm capable of.

The Hound's face is born of fire. He was left for dead by Ayra but found his way back (resurrection). He found some peace in the little colony at the end of season 6 (redemption?). His empathy for others is growing - he's come full circle. Why else did they spend so much time on that scene with the Brothers and him in the house focusing on those skeletons? Most importantly he looks into the fire and he sees.

But we'll see. I never watch TV and everyone in my life is happy I don't, because my obsession level is next level. I have loved this storyline for so long, can't help it.
Huh. Interesting. Could be. My question is, for the TV show, how much is Martin in charge? Cause for the TV show I could see them going with Jon. Or Dany. I could see it differently in the books. Assuming he ever finishes them. Which I really question, at this point.
Regarding Jamie, I seriously don't see him making it all the way through. Especially book Jamie. He's riding such a good redemption story, they never have good endings <G>
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9885
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:52 pm

...but i will say you need to have tissues ready.

It's Game of Thrones. One should always have tissues at hand. :twisted:
sweettalk
Posts: 1985
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:05 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:...but i will say you need to have tissues ready.

It's Game of Thrones. One should always have tissues at hand. :twisted:
lol, you aren't wrong. i'm sort of glad i saw the spoilers, i have all week to prep myself, and i still don't know if i'll be ready. i'm a sentimental emotional dweeb though.
User avatar
starrydreamer
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am

Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:38 am

So now that there's an end in sight to Game of Thrones, I've started watching again. I'd been reading episode summaries and so I could mostly follow along from halfway through season 6.

And I think I read spoilers for episode 7 that are true and, holy moly. Hold on to your hats. (I'd read the episode 6 spoilers already.)
sweettalk
Posts: 1985
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:00 pm

starrydreamer wrote:So now that there's an end in sight to Game of Thrones, I've started watching again. I'd been reading episode summaries and so I could mostly follow along from halfway through season 6.

And I think I read spoilers for episode 7 that are true and, holy moly. Hold on to your hats. (I'd read the episode 6 spoilers already.)
i just went digging for said spoilers and went to buy a hat just to hold onto it. reading and seeing are completely 110% different, i'm gonna need it.
User avatar
ThreeMustangs
Posts: 1452
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:37 pm
Location: Florida

Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:52 pm

The twins on the new Project Runway are incredibly annoying. I hope they get voted off quickly.
greyhorse
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:53 pm

Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:47 pm

You guys are making me not want to watch! :cry:

It's the only TV show I watch, and I'm obsessed with it. My life kinda sucks right now, and it's the highlight of my week, so when the show is sad, I've got nothing. Can you tell me if there's anything happy to look forward to???
sweettalk
Posts: 1985
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:16 am

greyhorse wrote:You guys are making me not want to watch! :cry:

It's the only TV show I watch, and I'm obsessed with it. My life kinda sucks right now, and it's the highlight of my week, so when the show is sad, I've got nothing. Can you tell me if there's anything happy to look forward to???
arya stays a badass, is that good? because I love her.
User avatar
starrydreamer
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:47 am

greyhorse wrote:You guys are making me not want to watch! :cry:

It's the only TV show I watch, and I'm obsessed with it. My life kinda sucks right now, and it's the highlight of my week, so when the show is sad, I've got nothing. Can you tell me if there's anything happy to look forward to???
There is definitely something that is going to be so satisfying to see. At least for me (I'm firmly Team Stark).

But yeah, reading spoilers and synopses are one thing, but actually watching it is another.
greyhorse
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:53 pm

Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:21 am

Yes, that's good that Arya doesn't die. I was worried about the path Littlefinger was leading the Stark kids down.
Post Reply