Help name our new human! :)

User avatar
Insane Crazy
Posts: 3028
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:26 pm

Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:40 am

bare it all wrote:Genevieve ---- Kelly.
I quite like the suggestion upthread of Corinne. It flows well. Any softer two-syllable name will go well there -- Renee (or some spelling) may also be quite nice. They both have that "n" sound but it's not a hard stop. There's a really nice rhythm to a 3-2 syllable setup for first and middle.

I name characters like it's my job. Sorry for getting ridiculous about it. :D
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
User avatar
bare it all
Posts: 1074
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:21 pm

Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:44 am

Insane Crazy wrote:
bare it all wrote:Genevieve ---- Kelly.
I quite like the suggestion upthread of Corinne. It flows well. Any softer two-syllable name will go well there -- Renee (or some spelling) may also be quite nice. They both have that "n" sound but it's not a hard stop. There's a really nice rhythm to a 3-2 syllable setup for first and middle.

I name characters like it's my job. Sorry for getting ridiculous about it. :D
Oh no, I'm a total name snob as well and poured through name lists coming up with names. Some of the others that were on the list were Lydia, Aurelia and Josephine. The hard -ee sound of the surname kills off so many name ideas I would have liked.

I keep leaning towards an -a ending for middle and husband hasn't liked a single one.

Genevieve Sophia
Genevieve Liana
Genevieve Victoria
User avatar
Insane Crazy
Posts: 3028
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:26 pm

Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:54 pm

bare it all wrote:Oh no, I'm a total name snob as well and poured through name lists coming up with names. Some of the others that were on the list were Lydia, Aurelia and Josephine. The hard -ee sound of the surname kills off so many name ideas I would have liked.

I keep leaning towards an -a ending for middle and husband hasn't liked a single one.

Genevieve Sophia
Genevieve Liana
Genevieve Victoria
These are all lovely names. I wonder if it's their length that is throwing him off? Two three syllable names in a row can be a mouthful...but now I suddenly can't think of a pretty two syllable -a name. Hmmmm...
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
BlindLucky
Posts: 3314
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:22 am
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:20 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:
bare it all wrote:Oh no, I'm a total name snob as well and poured through name lists coming up with names. Some of the others that were on the list were Lydia, Aurelia and Josephine. The hard -ee sound of the surname kills off so many name ideas I would have liked.

I keep leaning towards an -a ending for middle and husband hasn't liked a single one.

Genevieve Sophia
Genevieve Liana
Genevieve Victoria
These are all lovely names. I wonder if it's their length that is throwing him off? Two three syllable names in a row can be a mouthful...but now I suddenly can't think of a pretty two syllable -a name. Hmmmm...
Sonya or Sonia... you get the -a sound but in two syllables :)
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
User avatar
War Admiral
Posts: 212
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:29 am
Location: The Midwest

Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:15 pm

Nichole
Government is not the solution to the problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan.
Catalina
Posts: 3161
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:58 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:
bare it all wrote:Oh no, I'm a total name snob as well and poured through name lists coming up with names. Some of the others that were on the list were Lydia, Aurelia and Josephine. The hard -ee sound of the surname kills off so many name ideas I would have liked.

I keep leaning towards an -a ending for middle and husband hasn't liked a single one.

Genevieve Sophia
Genevieve Liana
Genevieve Victoria
These are all lovely names. I wonder if it's their length that is throwing him off? Two three syllable names in a row can be a mouthful...but now I suddenly can't think of a pretty two syllable -a name. Hmmmm...
Since there's emphasis on the last syllable of the Genevieve, I find it more pleasing for the first syllable of the middle name not to be stressed, hence the suggestion of Genevieve Corinne. When you add the last name (stress again on first syllable), you end up with a flowing combination of first and middle name, and then slightest of hesitation, Kelly.
User avatar
Insane Crazy
Posts: 3028
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:26 pm

Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:17 pm

Catalina wrote:
Insane Crazy wrote:Since there's emphasis on the last syllable of the Genevieve, I find it more pleasing for the first syllable of the middle name not to be stressed, hence the suggestion of Genevieve Corinne. When you add the last name (stress again on first syllable), you end up with a flowing combination of first and middle name, and then slightest of hesitation, Kelly.
Totally agree. I'm very taken with Genevieve Corinne (or Renee, or any similar name that isn't stressed on the first syllable).

Of course, BIA, it's your kiddo...so I'm just excited to hear what you do with it.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
lurkey mclurker
Posts: 2174
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:01 am

bare it all wrote:
lurkey mclurker wrote:Madeline. :mrgreen:

*waits to see if anyone catches the reference*
I see what you did there! :lol:

You would have been the type to be on board with what my husband wanted (and still wants to do)... having our boy Ben and naming our daughter Emma.

My kids are not the Geller children. :roll:
LOL actually it was the primary teacher in me rearing its head... also the fact that when I was little I absolutely adored the Madeline books. I heard they did (are doing?) an animated series but I've never seen it, just the classic stories.

I am sure whatever you and your husband decide will be a beautiful choice. :mrgreen:
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 2771
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:37 pm

bare it all wrote:We are expecting our second child in May (after the Derby, whew!)

Would anyone like to help toss out some ideas for a middle name? Her first name will be Genevieve. She will likely be called "Nev". Her brother is Benjamin Darryl "Ben" ... Darryl was my husband's deceased father's name. We aren't looking to have this little girl's middle name be in honor of anyone, so it's a blank space.

So, what middle name would you give Genevieve? :D
Genevieve was my grandmother's name. Her middle name was Magdalena.
User avatar
War Admiral
Posts: 212
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:29 am
Location: The Midwest

Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:13 am

I like Genevieve Gabriella.
Government is not the solution to the problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan.
User avatar
bare it all
Posts: 1074
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:21 pm

Tue May 10, 2016 5:13 pm

Had little Genevieve today! After much deliberation and indecisiveness between myself and the hubs, we let our 3yo choose.

Introducing the newest horse racing fan: Genevieve Charlotte! Born today 5/10, 6lbs10oz, 19 inches!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (115.21 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
stark
Posts: 4018
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Tue May 10, 2016 5:38 pm

She looks perfect, congrats!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Leapsandbounds
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:01 pm

Tue May 10, 2016 7:43 pm

Beautiful! Congrats! Great name.
lurkey mclurker
Posts: 2174
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Tue May 10, 2016 8:18 pm

Congrats!! Best wishes to the happy family and props to you, hubby & sibling for a classic, elegant name. :mrgreen:
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9716
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Tue May 10, 2016 10:44 pm

Congratulations, bare it all! She's beautiful. :D
Will you be posting the news and her adorable photo in Foals of 2016? Seems fitting. ;) :lol:
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Wed May 11, 2016 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catalina
Posts: 3161
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Wed May 11, 2016 9:22 am

What a cutie! Congratulations on the new addition to your family!
Post Reply