What place in your heart do dogs have?

Re: What place in your heart do dogs have?

Postby War Admiral » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:56 am

I love dogs. I don't have one right now because the apartment complex where I live does not allow them but growing up my family always had a dog and/or a cat.
Government is not the solution to the problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan.
War Admiral

Postby Slewgal » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:47 pm

I don't really have the patience for dogs, I am fine playing with other people's dogs, I love love love my dad's German Shorthair, but really they are a lot of work, like having a kid around(i also have never entertained the idea of children, ever), i am a crazy cat lady, have 5 kitties, 2 horses, I doubt I will even own a dog. Horses and Cats can get by on their own a lot better, they don't crave attention from you in the way a dog does..well my cats DO, but it's not as demanding as a dog. ;P
Slewgal

Postby Kelly Kip » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:39 pm

I, too, have never been without a dog in my life (except the year I worked in Ocala and lived in Hobeau's dorms). Heck, right before my wedding I had to put my lab mix down due to old age, and my sister, knowing I would LOVE it (which I did, lol), gave me one of her Irish Setters as a wedding gift! He was a show-quality male that was unable to show due to entropion, so she'd fixed him and just kept him as a pet.
Kelly Kip

Postby Prairie Bayou » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:16 pm

He's my best bud!!! I don't own horses. I love horses but this guy is my family.
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
Prairie Bayou

Postby WarBiscuit » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:49 pm

Prairie Bayou wrote:Image

He's my best bud!!! I don't own horses. I love horses but this guy is my family.

Now that's a picture of a relaxed and content animal!

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

Postby Spahny » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:46 pm

They are your life's calendar.
Attachments
Gretchen8months.jpg
Gretchen8months.jpg (234.91 KiB) Viewed 727 times
Spahny

Postby TapitsGal » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:13 am

I cannot have children due to a hysterectomy at 23 I'm 26 now. My lab terrier mix turns two next month. She is my child
TapitsGal

Postby Miesque1973 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:05 pm

I used to like dogs. But then my neighbor brought two pit bulls to bark at imaginary squirrels in his back yard at 5:30am each morning for several months. I was able to finally plead with him enough to get him to make the worthless curs quit doing that. Then he had a room mate move in, and he got a Border collie with a serious barking addiction, but several letters (the owner of the dog is deaf) and a threat of legal action finally got that under control (I work from home--people I talk to on the phone aren't supposed to KNOW I work from home, so a barking dog is kind of a hint). So now, at least I don't have to listen to them much any more. Sometimes somebody puts the pit bulls outside so they can find air molecules or a remaining brain cell to yap at, but then they're called in after a few minutes. Now, the new neighbors on the other side of the next-door neighbor has a dog that barks from roughly 8pm to 12am or later almost every night. Joy joy, happy happy!

I remember reading a (terrible) story about a guy who had a collie that he would let out in the yard every day at 6am and would bring back in at 6pm every night when the owner got home from work or his place to go for peace and quiet or whatever. The dog would bark, nonstop, all day, while he was in the yard. This went on for months and months, with no reprieve despite various pleas from everybody for quiet. Finally one day, a neighbor was getting something out of the back yard (impossible to use the back yard, what with all the freaking NOISE!) and the dog was yapping away and suddenly... BANG!!! No more barking dog. Now I don't condone that, and I couldn't do that because however much I dislike dogs, I don't believe in hurting anything or anyone, but... yeah, it's certainly understandable. Wrong and cruel, but understandable.

So no. I don't like dogs any more. Or maybe I can't stand their idiot, inconsiderate owners.

I also distrust cats, as they are cruel, deceitful creatures. They've broken stuff on our front porch, including my blue pot from Pier One and my little dragon vase, and they ate the baby wrens nesting in our begonia plant. So yeah... cats aren't much to me at all.

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
Miesque1973

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:58 pm

Well, the cats who hunted your wrens and your vases are victims of idiot, inconsiderate owners, too.
Cat who are let outside cause harm to birds, and come to harm themselves...cars, dogs, coyotes, fights with other cats who have idiot owners, and did I mention coyotes?
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Miesque1973 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:56 pm

Yeah, we do have coyotes around here, too, though they don't come close to town much, but I do hear them yowling sometimes. There's the odd mountain lion (well, maybe not that odd--I'm sure she's relatively normal, even if she's into younger cats). There's cruel jokes about 'culling' the herd that way, but geez... I distrust cats, but I'm not into killing them or seeing them eviscerated by the local wildlife.

I should point out that I've had dogs in my life, particularly old Snoozy, who lived to age 17, on table scraps. We never considered him to be anything but a loyal, patient and easy-going friend who didn't even bite my niece when she stepped on his tail, and he was not allowed to bark to anything approaching excess. Now, I have doves (George & Weezie) and Spike the Psychotic Canary. When company sleeps in the guest room, they often comment on the cooing outside the window, but I would be hard-pressed to see how cooing would be annoying. Only my niece complained about the cooing. But then my niece is... well, let's not Go There.

The next door-next door neighbor's dog is barking. From what I understand, my town has a 'quiet after 10pm until 6am' rule, but I'm assuming it's not enforced. Too many dogs (chihuahuas by the truckload, might I add) live around here, and the cops only care about chasing down anybody going one mile over the 55mph limit on Highway 29.

Ugh. He had me up 'til 3am one night.

The dog, I mean. Not the cop.

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
Miesque1973

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around