The friggin' Olympics

Re: The friggin' Olympics

Postby Starine » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:25 am

Right. Hard not to feel happy for Nick Skelton; he's been such an icon and as you said he and Big Star have both come back from serious injuries.

In other news, Ryan Lochte was dropped by all four of his sponsors for his antics in Brazil.
Starine

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:12 am

I know Lochte is a dolt, but I'm starting to feel sorry for the guy. I had a feeling that the situation was actually scary for the guys. This article provides another take on the incident that seems to indicate that they weren't the villains that the Rio officials want to paint them as. Pretty much just drunk dumbasses.

Report: Rio police exaggerated their version of Ryan Lochte events, too
There is no evidence Ryan Lochte or his three U.S. swimming teammates ever entered — let alone damaged — a bathroom at the gas station where a late-night rest stop exploded into an international incident at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics last week, according to a USA Today report on Monday night.
In a press conference called to debunk Lochte’s claims of a robbery at gunpoint, Rio police chief Fernando Veloso painted the bathroom as a crime scene, claiming American swimmers Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger and Jimmy Feigen, along with Lochte, broke a soap dispenser and mirror. Meanwhile, media outlets cited law enforcement officials who accused them of also breaking a bathroom door.
However, there is no such damage, and none of those items appear to have been replaced, per the USA Today report. Likewise, the newspaper reviewed extensive security footage from the Shell station, including a camera aimed at the restroom entrance, and the swimmers never entered the door.
Instead, the swimmers urinated on the backside of the gas station, and an intoxicated Lochte tore a “loosely attached” advertisement from an exterior wall, according to a police statement from Bentz and an eyewitness account to USA Today by Fernando Deluz — a disc jockey who translated the heated discussion between the American swimmers and the Portuguese-speaking security guards.
“If I hadn’t involved myself,” Deluz told the newspaper, adding that one guard had drawn his gun, “I thought — the police chief told me, ‘Man, if you hadn’t gone there in that moment, a tragedy could have occurred.”
Furthermore, the armed security guards indeed demanded payment from the Americans, per Deluz.
This latest report raises questions about the Rio police chief’s public portrayal of the U.S. swimmers as more vandals than victims, as well as his willingness to overlook actions taken by security guards, who were off-duty law enforcement officers. While it does not excuse them for public urination and tearing a poster off a wall, one can understand — considering the language barrier and level of intoxication — how Lochte & Co. thought they were robbed at gunpoint by men posing as police.
In other words, just because Lochte exaggerated claims to the “Today” show for effect on television doesn’t mean the swimmers willingly falsified a police report. Conger and Bentz were not charged with a crime for their roles in the incident, but Feigen donated $11,000 to charity in order to avoid charges and Lochte — home safely in the U.S. — still faces charges and the court of public opinion.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/lates ... 50255.html
BaroqueAgain1

Postby luvsgeldings » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:41 pm

and I keep wondering about that payment the 'security' guards wanted from the American guys - payment?? -- isn't there another word for that??!!!
luvsgeldings

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:52 pm

Or the $11,000 (which Brazilian officials tried to boost to $46,000) that Jimmy Feigen had to pay in order to get his passport back and be allowed to leave the country? Yeah, I think that's called 'extortion.'
http://www.tmz.com/2016/08/24/u-s-swimm ... gs-ransom/
Team USA swimmer Jimmy Feigen says Brazilian officials tried to shake him down following the gas station incident in Rio ... demanding more than $46,000 to let him leave the country.
Feigen just spelled out the situation in a statement through his lawyer -- saying on the day he was scheduled to leave Rio -- hell broke loose at a Brazilian courthouse.
Feigen says he was given two options:
Option 1 -- Remain in Brazil while the police continued the investigation. "This process was estimated to take at least a month and I would be required to remain in Brazil."
Option 2 -- Pay a fine of $31,250 for the return of his passport and perform 15 days of community service.
Feigen says he decided both options were unreasonable and shot down both deals -- the prosecutor responded by raising the fine to $46,875!
Finally, Feigen says all parties agreed to a $10,800 fine which would be paid in 3 days. If not, the fine would be raised to $46k.
Feigen paid the next day and got the hell out of Dodge.
By the way, Feigen also says his group did NOT ever break into the gas station bathroom that night -- but they did "make the regrettable decision to urinate in the grass behind the building" because the bathroom was locked.

As more info comes out, I'm thinking that the Rio officials should have tried to settle this behind the scenes, with a whole lot less 'oh, woe is us...look how our reputation has been besmirched' outrage. Because the more I read, the more I'm sympathizing with Lochte and his companions. And I still think Lochte is a dolt, but he's no criminal.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Somnambulist » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:54 pm

A guy that looks like a frat boy is a d-bag and Brazil is corrupt!? No way! :D
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:57 pm

I'm seeing that Lochte could end up on Dancing With the Stars. :shock:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ear ... the-stars/
Can't wait to see him Samba. :lol:
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Spahny » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:35 pm

Nobody cares about swimming for 4 years. What a relief.
Spahny

Previous

Return to Horsin' Around