The friggin' Olympics

Re: The friggin' Olympics

Postby War Admiral » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:52 pm

I love watching the track and field.

Usain Bolt--- all I can say is wow! The man can fly. He actually makes it looks easy.
Government is not the solution to the problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan.
User avatar
War Admiral
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:29 am
Location: The Midwest

Re: The friggin' Olympics

Postby Starine » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:29 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:The track & field women are bringing it for the US. The men? Not so much. :oops:


I think it may seem that way because the coverage has focused heavily on the most popular events like the 100, 200, 400 and 800 meter races. And while the US men didn't win any of those they did score a number of medals:

Justin Gatlin -- 2nd -- 100
LaShawn Merritt -- 3rd -- 400
Clayton Murphy -- 3rd -- 800
Evan Jager -- 2nd -- 3000m Steeplechase
Jeff Henderson -- 1st -- Long Jump
Christian Taylor -- 1st -- Triple Jump
Will Claye -- 2nd -- Triple Jump

And today alone:

Kerron Clement -- 1st -- 400m Hurdles
Ryan Crouser -- 1st -- Shot Put
Joe Kovacs -- 2nd -- Shot Put
Ashton Eaton -- 1st -- Decathlon

And I am probably forgetting one or two others.

So yeah... they are doing all right. ;)
User avatar
Starine
 
Posts: 3538
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: The friggin' Olympics

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:50 am

The Field dudes are doing great. It's the Track guys who are less than great.
Of course, it's hard to look good when Usain Bolt is casting such a large shadow.
BaroqueAgain1
 
Posts: 8264
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Re: The friggin' Olympics

Postby Starine » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:12 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:The Field dudes are doing great. It's the Track guys who are less than great.
Of course, it's hard to look good when Usain Bolt is casting such a large shadow.


He won't much longer -- he's said repeatedly that this will be his last Olympics. He's also stated that he believes Canada's Andre De Grasse is the heir to the throne.
User avatar
Starine
 
Posts: 3538
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: The friggin' Olympics

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:53 am

I know he's hanging up his running shoes after the 4x100. He has said that he doesn't like training as hard as he has to to stay on top, and he's had some injuries in the last year or so.
He's so much taller than the other sprinters and, even though he has that perfect stride, keeping that big body in shape while working around injuries must be like trying to keep Dortmund fit and sound. ;)
BaroqueAgain1
 
Posts: 8264
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Re: The friggin' Olympics

Postby Starine » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:37 am

So Jamaica won it's third straight men's 4x100, giving Usain Bolt an unprecedented three straight golds in the relay, 100 and 200. (While the U.S. team was disqualified to last when it initially appeared they had secured a spot on the podium in third.)

And while Bolt is truly a marvel of a man, I was most excited about the women's 4x100 relay. Bartoletta, Felix, Gardner and Bowie had an eventful past two days, having dropped the baton in the qualifier and then having to run a time trial last night to earn a spot in the final. I thought that it would be a tight contest between the U.S. and Jamaica, particularly considering the former had to put in an extra run just to make it into the race. But they really ran the Jamaican team off their feet.
User avatar
Starine
 
Posts: 3538
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: The friggin' Olympics

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:11 am

O M G.....that men's 4x100 team is so snakebit that they need an exorcist. :roll:
I don't know how many times they have fracked up the baton pass in the Olympics, but it's a lot.

But yeah, the women's team was superb.
Girls Rule. Boys Drool. :P :lol:
BaroqueAgain1
 
Posts: 8264
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Re: The friggin' Olympics

Postby tachyon » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:20 am

Japan won a historic silver medal in the men's 4x100 relay with its accurate baton passing. ;)

Japan has been doing very well at Rio and its total medal already count to 41, the highest ever in an Olympic.

But the biggest shock came when Helen Maroulis of the United States defeated Japan's iconic athlete Saori Yoshida, three-time Olympic champion, in the women's wrestling freestyle 53-kg. :shock:
tachyon
 
Posts: 3125
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Re: The friggin' Olympics

Postby Starine » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:01 am

tachyon wrote:Japan won a historic silver medal in the men's 4x100 relay with its accurate baton passing. ;)

Japan has been doing very well at Rio and its total medal already count to 41, the highest ever in an Olympic.


The commentators had been talking about Japan's relay team before the race; saying they might surprise some people and to keep an eye on them. They surprised me; it was a very, very good effort to get the silver.

I also noticed that Asuka Cambridge and Julian Walsh are of mixed race with Jamaican fathers like myself. ;) So I was happy for them as well.
User avatar
Starine
 
Posts: 3538
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: The friggin' Olympics

Postby tachyon » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:52 am

Starine wrote:
tachyon wrote:Japan won a historic silver medal in the men's 4x100 relay with its accurate baton passing. ;)

Japan has been doing very well at Rio and its total medal already count to 41, the highest ever in an Olympic.


The commentators had been talking about Japan's relay team before the race; saying they might surprise some people and to keep an eye on them. They surprised me; it was a very, very good effort to get the silver.

I also noticed that Asuka Cambridge and Julian Walsh are of mixed race with Jamaican fathers like myself. ;) So I was happy for them as well.


:D

This is the first time Japanese sprinters get a silver medal in the Olympics.
And their 'Samurai pose' (you can see in the video below) is now very popular in Japan. :lol:

-- video of the men's 4x100m (from a Japanese broadcast)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RWr2KwBoIY
tachyon
 
Posts: 3125
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:52 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest