The friggin' Olympics

War Admiral

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:52 pm

I love watching the track and field.

Usain Bolt--- all I can say is wow! The man can fly. He actually makes it looks easy.
Government is not the solution to the problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan.
Starine

Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:29 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:The track & field women are bringing it for the US. The men? Not so much. :oops:
I think it may seem that way because the coverage has focused heavily on the most popular events like the 100, 200, 400 and 800 meter races. And while the US men didn't win any of those they did score a number of medals:

Justin Gatlin -- 2nd -- 100
LaShawn Merritt -- 3rd -- 400
Clayton Murphy -- 3rd -- 800
Evan Jager -- 2nd -- 3000m Steeplechase
Jeff Henderson -- 1st -- Long Jump
Christian Taylor -- 1st -- Triple Jump
Will Claye -- 2nd -- Triple Jump

And today alone:

Kerron Clement -- 1st -- 400m Hurdles
Ryan Crouser -- 1st -- Shot Put
Joe Kovacs -- 2nd -- Shot Put
Ashton Eaton -- 1st -- Decathlon

And I am probably forgetting one or two others.

So yeah... they are doing all right. ;)
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:50 am

The Field dudes are doing great. It's the Track guys who are less than great.
Of course, it's hard to look good when Usain Bolt is casting such a large shadow.
Starine

Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:12 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:The Field dudes are doing great. It's the Track guys who are less than great.
Of course, it's hard to look good when Usain Bolt is casting such a large shadow.
He won't much longer -- he's said repeatedly that this will be his last Olympics. He's also stated that he believes Canada's Andre De Grasse is the heir to the throne.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:53 am

I know he's hanging up his running shoes after the 4x100. He has said that he doesn't like training as hard as he has to to stay on top, and he's had some injuries in the last year or so.
He's so much taller than the other sprinters and, even though he has that perfect stride, keeping that big body in shape while working around injuries must be like trying to keep Dortmund fit and sound. ;)
Starine

Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:37 am

So Jamaica won it's third straight men's 4x100, giving Usain Bolt an unprecedented three straight golds in the relay, 100 and 200. (While the U.S. team was disqualified to last when it initially appeared they had secured a spot on the podium in third.)

And while Bolt is truly a marvel of a man, I was most excited about the women's 4x100 relay. Bartoletta, Felix, Gardner and Bowie had an eventful past two days, having dropped the baton in the qualifier and then having to run a time trial last night to earn a spot in the final. I thought that it would be a tight contest between the U.S. and Jamaica, particularly considering the former had to put in an extra run just to make it into the race. But they really ran the Jamaican team off their feet.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:11 am

O M G.....that men's 4x100 team is so snakebit that they need an exorcist. :roll:
I don't know how many times they have fracked up the baton pass in the Olympics, but it's a lot.

But yeah, the women's team was superb.
Girls Rule. Boys Drool. :P :lol:
tachyon

Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:20 am

Japan won a historic silver medal in the men's 4x100 relay with its accurate baton passing. ;)

Japan has been doing very well at Rio and its total medal already count to 41, the highest ever in an Olympic.

But the biggest shock came when Helen Maroulis of the United States defeated Japan's iconic athlete Saori Yoshida, three-time Olympic champion, in the women's wrestling freestyle 53-kg. :shock:
Starine

Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:01 am

tachyon wrote:Japan won a historic silver medal in the men's 4x100 relay with its accurate baton passing. ;)

Japan has been doing very well at Rio and its total medal already count to 41, the highest ever in an Olympic.
The commentators had been talking about Japan's relay team before the race; saying they might surprise some people and to keep an eye on them. They surprised me; it was a very, very good effort to get the silver.

I also noticed that Asuka Cambridge and Julian Walsh are of mixed race with Jamaican fathers like myself. ;) So I was happy for them as well.
tachyon

Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:52 am

Starine wrote:
tachyon wrote:Japan won a historic silver medal in the men's 4x100 relay with its accurate baton passing. ;)

The commentators had been talking about Japan's relay team before the race; saying they might surprise some people and to keep an eye on them. They surprised me; it was a very, very good effort to get the silver.

I also noticed that Asuka Cambridge and Julian Walsh are of mixed race with Jamaican fathers like myself. ;) So I was happy for them as well.
:D

This is the first time Japanese sprinters get a silver medal in the Olympics.
And their 'Samurai pose' (you can see in the video below) is now very popular in Japan. :lol:

-- video of the men's 4x100m (from a Japanese broadcast)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RWr2KwBoIY
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:11 pm

One reason the Japanese athletes are doing so well may have to do with the fact that the Summer Olympics are going to be held in Japan in 2020. The country has probably put a lot of effort into grooming talented youngsters and improving their teams so that four years from now, they're really strong.
BlindLucky

Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:43 pm

Admin wrote:That's a funny onion.

I'm sorry if this offends anyone (not really ;-), but ping pong shouldn't be an Olympic sport. You can tell these guys spend a lot of time in the gym. What's amusing are the frequent breaks and towel offs. I'm sure these guys are as spent at the end of their game as Phelps afte swimming two heats and a race in one day.
:lol:

There will be 5 new sports in the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo:
BASEBALL/SOFTBALL
KARATE
SKATEBOARD
SPORTS CLIMBING
SURFING

How do you have surfing in Tokyo?
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:44 pm

Could surfing be held in one of the islands that has a good surf break? Are there good waves off Okinawa?
Tessablue

Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:53 pm

Equestrian at the Beijing Olympics was held in Hong Kong; it's not at all unusual for events to take place in venues separate from the main city.

Speaking of, no mention of Nick Skelton?? By far my favorite story of the games!
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:57 pm

The 58-year-old Briton who won the individual jumping gold? The dude with the legs flying up in the air when his horse went over the jumps? Yeah, that was cool. :D
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tessablue

Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:06 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:The 58-year-old Briton who won the individual jumping gold? The dude with the legs flying up in the air when his horse went over the jumps/ Yeah, that was cool. :D
I remember how magnificently Nick Skelton rode for his team in 2012, only to finally finish fifth with a rail down on the last day of individual jumping. Add that to his age and various physical difficulties and it's just a wonderful story that he managed to get the gold this time- and on the same horse! Not to mention the fact that he had to go first in the jump-off; never an easy task. Big credit to Eric Lamaze too, who was absolutely spectacular all week on board a really wonderful mare.

Roger Yves-Bost (Bosty) was the rider with crazy form who won it for the French. My second-favorite story :D
tachyon

Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:17 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Could surfing be held in one of the islands that has a good surf break? Are there good waves off Okinawa?
We don't know yet where surfing will be held.
But it won't be Okinawa whcih hasn't nominated itself.
Maybe either Chiba or Kanagawa, both near Tokyo.
lurkey mclurker

Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:28 pm

tachyon wrote:
And their 'Samurai pose' (you can see in the video below) is now very popular in Japan. :lol:

Pooh, the vid is not available/viewable in the US. : ( But yay for Japan! : )
tachyon

Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:44 am

lurkey mclurker wrote:
tachyon wrote:

Pooh, the vid is not available/viewable in the US. : ( But yay for Japan! : )
Japan men's team's 'Samurai Pose'

I thought US women's team was very cute, too!!!
Della

Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:30 pm

Tessablue wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:The 58-year-old Briton who won the individual jumping gold? The dude with the legs flying up in the air when his horse went over the jumps/ Yeah, that was cool. :D
I remember how magnificently Nick Skelton rode for his team in 2012, only to finally finish fifth with a rail down on the last day of individual jumping. Add that to his age and various physical difficulties and it's just a wonderful story that he managed to get the gold this time- and on the same horse! Not to mention the fact that he had to go first in the jump-off; never an easy task. Big credit to Eric Lamaze too, who was absolutely spectacular all week on board a really wonderful mare.

On top of all the injuries Nick Skelton has had to overcome (two broken cervical vertebra; hip replacement, etc) which necessitates his using that stepladder to mount his horse, Big Star also overcame two suspensory ligament injuries - one in front, and one hind - which held him out of major competitions for two years following the London Olympics in 2012. They did a phenomenal rehab job to get him back to Olympic competition, but Nick commented that final round was the first against the clock Big Star had jumped since coming back.

Truly an amazing journey for both horse and rider to made it to the gold medal spot atop the podium :)