National Suicide Prevention Week

National Suicide Prevention Week

Postby Starine » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:23 pm

Just letting you guys know, this week is National Suicide Prevention Week.

Some of you know that mental illness is something I've dealt with my whole life, whether it be other's or my own. I've received continuous psychiatric and psychological treatment for the past few years to help cope and deal with my own mental illness and the impact it has on my day to day life and the people I surround myself with. I'm not going to make a post pretending like I've got it all figured out and that we are all going to wake up one day and feel absolutely fine.

What I am going to say is that, speaking from personal experience with the subject of suicide specifically (which anyone is more than welcome to message me about with any questions of detail), feeling better is hard work. It takes time. Not every day is going to be a good day, but when those good days do hit, those dark days don't seem so heavy. You learn to live with those days and accept that they aren't forever.

Those days are not forever.

Please don't allow them to be forever.

And for the love of God, for those of you who are lucky enough to not have been affected by suicide in any way, BE NICE. You never know where someone's head is at, and your random act of kindness could save someone's life.

Thank you for reading.
Starine

Re: National Suicide Prevention Week

Postby Sparrow Castle » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:21 pm

Starine wrote:Just letting you guys know, this week is National Suicide Prevention Week.

Some of you know that mental illness is something I've dealt with my whole life, whether it be other's or my own. I've received continuous psychiatric and psychological treatment for the past few years to help cope and deal with my own mental illness and the impact it has on my day to day life and the people I surround myself with. I'm not going to make a post pretending like I've got it all figured out and that we are all going to wake up one day and feel absolutely fine.

What I am going to say is that, speaking from personal experience with the subject of suicide specifically (which anyone is more than welcome to message me about with any questions of detail), feeling better is hard work. It takes time. Not every day is going to be a good day, but when those good days do hit, those dark days don't seem so heavy. You learn to live with those days and accept that they aren't forever.

Those days are not forever.

Please don't allow them to be forever.

And for the love of God, for those of you who are lucky enough to not have been affected by suicide in any way, BE NICE. You never know where someone's head is at, and your random act of kindness could save someone's life.

Thank you for reading.

Very well said, Starine! Don't know what made me open the Horsin' Around forum today, but I'm glad I did. The latest stat I read is about 30,000 Americans die by suicide each year and an additional 500,000 Americans attempt suicide annually. When you consider the family, friends and acquaintances of those who suicide over the years, that's an awful lot of people directly affected by this 8th leading cause of death in our country (count me among them in a very personal way). Yet, there remains such a great stigma against talking about it and about mental illness in general in this country that many folks do not seek the help they need. I very much applaud your courage and strength in dealing with it. Keep up the good work ((hugs))!
Sparrow Castle

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:49 pm

Thank you sharing this, Starine. To bare your heart like this, for the sake of helping others, is courageous.
I hope you have many more good days than bad.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Starine » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:49 pm

Thank you both for your encouragement. I just feel that it is so, so important to talk about this kind of thing. I understand that some may make snap judgments about me when they find out I have a mental illness, but I feel if I just hide it then I am just perpetuating the stereotype that it is shameful and something to be embarrassed about. And if my post encourage someone with a mental illness to keep fighting for another day and/or to get help, then it is all worth it.
Starine

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:47 pm

When I was not even a teen, my 17-year-old cousin took his life....with his mother downstairs. It was so sudden, with what seemed like no warning.
In the years since, we may have learned enough about depression to see the signs that were there, but it nearly destroyed my aunt at the time. And it did finish off her already damaged marriage, which, also in hindsight, was to a man who probably also had an undiagnosed illness.
That genetic component of some mental ills is horrible for families and, at the time, there was so little understanding of the nature of depression or other mental illnesses.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Catalina » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:03 am

Starine wrote:Thank you both for your encouragement. I just feel that it is so, so important to talk about this kind of thing. I understand that some may make snap judgments about me when they find out I have a mental illness, but I feel if I just hide it then I am just perpetuating the stereotype that it is shameful and something to be embarrassed about. And if my post encourage someone with a mental illness to keep fighting for another day and/or to get help, then it is all worth it.

Thank you for your courage to speak up. The world is a better place because of it.
Catalina

Postby BlindLucky » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:20 pm

Today they found the body of a friend of mine, a guy I briefly dated in high school. I knew he had some rough times over the years, but this wasn't something on anyone's radar. I probably hadn't seen him in 20 years, but we kept in touch. Just heartbreaking, I hate this for his family and everyone else in his life.

I also can't imagine what he must have been going through to reach a decision like this.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BlindLucky

Postby Catalina » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:42 pm

BlindLucky wrote:Today they found the body of a friend of mine, a guy I briefly dated in high school. I knew he had some rough times over the years, but this wasn't something on anyone's radar. I probably hadn't seen him in 20 years, but we kept in touch. Just heartbreaking, I hate this for his family and everyone else in his life.

I also can't imagine what he must have been going through to reach a decision like this.

I am so sorry for your loss, BL. You and his family have my prayers.
Catalina

Postby Starine » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:53 pm

So, so sorry to read of it, BL. It really breaks my heart to think of someone struggling with that kind of despair. Night falls fast.

You, his family and friends will be in my thoughts.
Starine

Return to Horsin' Around