Uncle Vin

Uncle Vin

Postby Spahny » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:48 pm

So it's come to this. One weekend in L.A..

It's all a bit over-blown. Mayors and League Executives. Actors and musicians. Cue the flamingo dancers and John Williams. And then there's Vin of course, politely gesturing to the sound effects guy to turn down the tribute music to his introduction that has gone on longer than a Kevin Costner speech. But then, it is Vin Scully appreciation night. And Costner's epic was heart felt and genuine even if it did meander in the air like a fluttering Charlie Hough knuckleball. All of this was fine even if unnecessary and strained at times. It might have been a wiser path to let the great man just talk to the family. Which is what we all are after all. It seemed that he was made to feel a bit uncomfortable by all the fuss. All of this love and affection pouring down on him.

"Aw common everybody, it's just me." More applause and then, "Pull up a chair and spend an evening with us." "It's time for Dodger baseball!"

Is it possible to feel empathy for a man that is so universally loved and admired while clearly he would much prefer to just be your friend or favorite uncle?

But Vinny, really, after so many years of you consoling us with his soothing tones and wonderful stories there is a human need to try to reach out and touch you as you have us.

Probably failing. But at least trying.

Vin Scully's brilliance lies entirely in his amazing ability to so effortlessly be himself while plying his craft. So when I listened to him in my backyard on a 4th of July weekend with my family in 1965 I really did have him there with me. I really did meet and know Vinny. Even though I never did.

Never has there been a kinder, more humble man that touched so many. God speed Uncle Vin. You have been a blessing to us all.
Spahny

Re: Uncle Vin

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:48 pm

If this site had a 'Kudo' button for posts, I suspect that your numbers would be skyrocketing. :D
IMHO, Vin Scully is a National Treasure.
And I don't even like baseball. :P
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Spahny » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:08 pm

Dodgers clinch the West Division title with a walk off in the tenth on Scully's last ever broadcast in L.A.. Hit by some guy named Culberson.

Figures.
Spahny

Postby shortlead » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:56 pm

I grew up listening to this wellspring of knowledge. At 62, that is a long time! I will miss him but he does deserve a nice retirement for the rest of his years. So personable, what a lovely man. Sigh...
Give me that short lead, give me that win by a nose, get them all home safely!
shortlead

Postby Spahny » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:31 pm

Dodgers are playing like zombies on the road again but Vin is forever young.

Tomorrow is the last day. I don't think people from elsewhere really get that this is very emotional for some of us.

I hope San Fran gives this old Giant fan a proper farewell. I'm sure they will.
Spahny

Postby PJMIII » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:45 am

In Appreciation Of Vin Scully

Many have shared their appreciation of legendary Dodgers broadcaster Vin Scully as he steps away from the microphone after 67 magical seasons. MLBTR joins them in honoring one of the most uniquely compelling figures in sports history.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/10/i ... +Rumors%29
PJMIII

Postby Spahny » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:17 pm

Spahny

Return to Horsin' Around