Toxic Chemicals Dumped at LI Equestrian Facility

Toxic Chemicals Dumped at LI Equestrian Facility

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:55 pm

Som, IIRC, don't you live on Long Island? Have you heard about this incident? :shock:

Toxic Chemicals Secretly Dumped At Long Island Equestrian Facility
Soil samples taken from the 885-acre West Hills County Park last Thursday showed significantly elevated levels of several toxic substances, including asbestos, PCBs, lead and other heavy metals. Located on the grounds of the park is Sweet Hills Riding Center, which is a boarding and riding stable and offers day camps to children in the summer.
Officials say that the horses kept on the grounds, as well as the children and adults who ride and care for them, have been breathing in the toxic dust for a yet-to-be-determined amount of time.
Officials believe that over the course of the past year, hundreds of tractor trailer loads of toxic debris have been dumped and spread across the area at an average depth of 3 1/2 feet to six feet deep.
Proper disposal of such material typically cost upwards of $5,000.
Sweet Hills Riding Center issued the following statement:
"The Sweet Hills Riding Center, with a 30 year commitment to the equestrian community and families of Long Island, is continuing to operate in the ongoing investigation. This disturbing incident occurred without our knowledge or consent."

Read more at ABC7NY.com
http://www.paulickreport.com/horse-care ... -facility/

I hope they catch the bastards who endangered all those people and horses, just because they're too greedy to pay for proper disposal. And that they don't just get the proverbial slap on the wrist. :roll:
BaroqueAgain1

Re: Toxic Chemicals Dumped at LI Equestrian Facility

Postby Somnambulist » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:23 pm

I read about it August? I think. It boarders on a really dark, kind of secluded road so it makes a lot of sense that someone could do this for years and get away with it. In a way. The road it's on is thought to be one of the most haunted places on LI so it's kind of a night joy ride when you have nothing better to do, so weird that no one really saw it. It's not like LI is the sticks.

They moved their operations to the barn I used to ride at, which is interesting just for the fact I didn't realize they had that much space but the horse community takes care of it's own.

No wonder everyone wants to get off this stupid island and everyone and their pets die of cancer.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Catalina » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:47 pm

With a little luck, the chemical analysis will narrow down where the stuff came from, and who dumped it there. This doesn't sound like it arrived by pick-up truckload.
Catalina

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:04 pm

Is it terribly 'profiling' of me that I thought of the old history of Mafia-controlled trash hauling companies? :oops:
And that some business like that could be behind this?
BaroqueAgain1

Return to Horsin' Around