The VENT Thread

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby Ballerina » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:52 pm

stark wrote:The awards shows are just around the corner, Golden Globes are Sunday night and I'd really like to enjoy them, then the Academy Awards in March.

Rather, I fear the winners will take their moment in time to make political statements that I haven't liked since Marlon Brando opted out of accepting the Godfather award in favor of telling us about Indian history.

I don't like it, I put Meryl Streep in the same category along with Colin Kaepernick.....you might have a good message, but I can't hear you, it's not what I tuned in to see. This is the wrong time, wrong place to be telling me how I should be thinking about stuff much larger than your movie or game.

Just like some folks use the mute button while watching TVG, I guess that's what I'll have to resort to, or just skip the darn things altogether. Heck, do they realize I'd watch their fixed awards show if they were gracious, thanked their staff, the fans, peers etc. tell us a funny story from on the set, what's so wrong with that?

Mondays are a good day for protesting and making political speeches. Meryl, Colin et al, grab a picket sign and join the crowd, you'll make the nightly news!


Image
User avatar
Ballerina
 
Posts: 2941
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA & Saratoga, NY

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby starrydreamer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:36 pm

Katewerk wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:
It's pretty hysterical watching a bunch of rich white people like Streep tell everyone that they aren't liberal enough when there is just no way in hell she didn't know about Harvey Weinstein.


$hertoo


Lordy, the hypocrisy of Hollywood. There's no WAY the older actresses who claim to have known nothing (e.g. Streep) actually knew nothing about the sexual harassment and assault going on. Maybe because that's what they grew up with, they thought that was just normal, and all the younger actresses should just shut up and earn their money. I really hope when Streep wins the best actress award this weekend (because I'm guessing she will), she says that she was wrong and that she's going to do better. That's what everyone in that damned industry needs to say.

If not, I guess we can content ourselves with the fact that Carrie Fisher is going to be watching from beyond and giving everyone who keeps quiet the middle finger.
User avatar
starrydreamer
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby Ballerina » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:24 pm

Watched some of the GGs last night. It was excruciating. Good grief, are there no good men in this world who need to be pointed out? I don't doubt that some women struggle to be recognized, to ward off harassment, abuse, and worse. I just hope this was not a costume party night to draw attention to themselves. I switched off at 10 p.m. to watch Lana Turner in The Bad and the Beautiful on TCM.
User avatar
Ballerina
 
Posts: 2941
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA & Saratoga, NY

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby stark » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:17 pm

A little recap from the Golden Globes in case you missed it....

Image
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark
 
Posts: 3447
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby starrydreamer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:46 pm

Ballerina wrote:Watched some of the GGs last night. It was excruciating. Good grief, are there no good men in this world who need to be pointed out? I don't doubt that some women struggle to be recognized, to ward off harassment, abuse, and worse. I just hope this was not a costume party night to draw attention to themselves. I switched off at 10 p.m. to watch Lana Turner in The Bad and the Beautiful on TCM.


I didn't bother to watch. My husband hates awards shows and I had subjected him to three straight nights of figure skating, so I decided it was time for him to watch what he wanted.

However, I was really happy that Big Little Lies won so much - it was such a gripping series. I was also happy with Aziz Ansari's and Marvellous Mrs Maisel's wins.
User avatar
starrydreamer
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby Somnambulist » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:59 pm

starrydreamer wrote:I didn't bother to watch. My husband hates awards shows and I had subjected him to three straight nights of figure skating, so I decided it was time for him to watch what he wanted.


They are the worst.

The only good moment in any awards show was when Maynard refused to accept Tool's Grammy award.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist
 
Posts: 7286
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby starrydreamer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:06 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
starrydreamer wrote:I didn't bother to watch. My husband hates awards shows and I had subjected him to three straight nights of figure skating, so I decided it was time for him to watch what he wanted.


They are the worst.

The only good moment in any awards show was when Maynard refused to accept Tool's Grammy award.


I like the feeling of validation when a show I like wins. :lol: :lol: Other than that, I've watched less and less of the awards shows over the years. The hosts are always super awkward, even when they're normally funny and entertaining people. I can check out the fashion on the internets, and Buzzfeed will tell me if I miss anything iconic.
User avatar
starrydreamer
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby starrydreamer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:04 am

I had almost a week of my kid not being sick, but he's home sick today. He needs oxygen support and has a cough and a runny nose. He's watched so much tv in the last month that his brain is probably going to rot out of his head, but so it goes.

Not to mention the health insurance. Before we moved, we hit our out-of-pocket max... but then we moved and got new insurance through my husband's job, and we surely hit the out-of-pocket after his hospital stay. But now it's a new year and a new deductible and out-of-pocket max, and I'm pretty sure we've hit both already. That's about $12,000 in medical costs that we're going to have to pay... but of course, the bills arrive when they arrive and we won't really know the cost until they do.

But what's the alternative? Not going to the doctor and letting our kid die? Parents of medically fragile kids get especially screwed under our health insurance system, and considering it's not our fault that our kids were born with dysfunctional bodies, it really sucks.
User avatar
starrydreamer
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby stark » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:39 pm

starrydreamer wrote:But what's the alternative? Not going to the doctor and letting our kid die?


Sorry, but I'm just never sure how to react to these posts of yours, they sound so intimate about such a sensitive personal situation, the very life of your child. I'm guessing, actually hoping, that you're aiming your message at some very close personal friends here that you've met in-person, not the general public at large reading a WWW horsey forum with occasional sidetracks thrown in.

That said, are we suppose to feel bad for your kid and send prayers or should we be feeling even worse for the parents who need to come up with $12K? Are you really asking us what's the alternative or was that just you being rhetorical?

Dazed and confused at what the internet delivers to us.

Be well.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark
 
Posts: 3447
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby starrydreamer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:51 pm

stark wrote:
starrydreamer wrote:But what's the alternative? Not going to the doctor and letting our kid die?


Sorry, but I'm just never sure how to react to these posts of yours, they sound so intimate about such a sensitive personal situation, the very life of your child. I'm guessing, actually hoping, that you're aiming your message at some very close personal friends here that you've met in-person, not the general public at large reading a WWW horsey forum with occasional sidetracks thrown in.

That said, are we suppose to feel bad for your kid and send prayers or should we be feeling worse for the parents who need to come up with $12K? Are you really asking us what's the alternative or was that just you being rhetorical?

Dazed and confused at what the internet delivers to us.

Be well.


I'm being rhetorical. You don't have to answer.

And I'm actually being pretty general about my son's problems. They aren't super personal. I don't think I've even mentioned the state I live in. I'm very aware that you don't need to be a member of the forum to read any part of the forum. I'm here to vent. No one needs to feel bad for me or my kid. I'm not looking for pity. Maybe commiseration on how cruddy the health insurance system in the US is, but honestly, I don't care if anyone even responds.

And yes, I have loved ones who I vent to as well, in much more detail, and not on this board. I guess I just need multiple outlets. There's something to be said about ranting rather anonymously to strangers.

I'm sorry if that confuses you.
User avatar
starrydreamer
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest