The VENT Thread

Ballerina

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:52 pm

stark wrote:The awards shows are just around the corner, Golden Globes are Sunday night and I'd really like to enjoy them, then the Academy Awards in March.

Rather, I fear the winners will take their moment in time to make political statements that I haven't liked since Marlon Brando opted out of accepting the Godfather award in favor of telling us about Indian history.

I don't like it, I put Meryl Streep in the same category along with Colin Kaepernick.....you might have a good message, but I can't hear you, it's not what I tuned in to see. This is the wrong time, wrong place to be telling me how I should be thinking about stuff much larger than your movie or game.

Just like some folks use the mute button while watching TVG, I guess that's what I'll have to resort to, or just skip the darn things altogether. Heck, do they realize I'd watch their fixed awards show if they were gracious, thanked their staff, the fans, peers etc. tell us a funny story from on the set, what's so wrong with that?

Mondays are a good day for protesting and making political speeches. Meryl, Colin et al, grab a picket sign and join the crowd, you'll make the nightly news!
starrydreamer

Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:36 pm

Katewerk wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:
It's pretty hysterical watching a bunch of rich white people like Streep tell everyone that they aren't liberal enough when there is just no way in hell she didn't know about Harvey Weinstein.
$hertoo
Lordy, the hypocrisy of Hollywood. There's no WAY the older actresses who claim to have known nothing (e.g. Streep) actually knew nothing about the sexual harassment and assault going on. Maybe because that's what they grew up with, they thought that was just normal, and all the younger actresses should just shut up and earn their money. I really hope when Streep wins the best actress award this weekend (because I'm guessing she will), she says that she was wrong and that she's going to do better. That's what everyone in that damned industry needs to say.

If not, I guess we can content ourselves with the fact that Carrie Fisher is going to be watching from beyond and giving everyone who keeps quiet the middle finger.
Ballerina

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:24 pm

Watched some of the GGs last night. It was excruciating. Good grief, are there no good men in this world who need to be pointed out? I don't doubt that some women struggle to be recognized, to ward off harassment, abuse, and worse. I just hope this was not a costume party night to draw attention to themselves. I switched off at 10 p.m. to watch Lana Turner in The Bad and the Beautiful on TCM.
stark

Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:17 pm

A little recap from the Golden Globes in case you missed it....

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
starrydreamer

Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:46 pm

Ballerina wrote:Watched some of the GGs last night. It was excruciating. Good grief, are there no good men in this world who need to be pointed out? I don't doubt that some women struggle to be recognized, to ward off harassment, abuse, and worse. I just hope this was not a costume party night to draw attention to themselves. I switched off at 10 p.m. to watch Lana Turner in The Bad and the Beautiful on TCM.
I didn't bother to watch. My husband hates awards shows and I had subjected him to three straight nights of figure skating, so I decided it was time for him to watch what he wanted.

However, I was really happy that Big Little Lies won so much - it was such a gripping series. I was also happy with Aziz Ansari's and Marvellous Mrs Maisel's wins.
Somnambulist

Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:59 pm

starrydreamer wrote:I didn't bother to watch. My husband hates awards shows and I had subjected him to three straight nights of figure skating, so I decided it was time for him to watch what he wanted.
They are the worst.

The only good moment in any awards show was when Maynard refused to accept Tool's Grammy award.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
starrydreamer

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:06 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
starrydreamer wrote:I didn't bother to watch. My husband hates awards shows and I had subjected him to three straight nights of figure skating, so I decided it was time for him to watch what he wanted.
They are the worst.

The only good moment in any awards show was when Maynard refused to accept Tool's Grammy award.
I like the feeling of validation when a show I like wins. :lol: :lol: Other than that, I've watched less and less of the awards shows over the years. The hosts are always super awkward, even when they're normally funny and entertaining people. I can check out the fashion on the internets, and Buzzfeed will tell me if I miss anything iconic.
starrydreamer

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:04 am

I had almost a week of my kid not being sick, but he's home sick today. He needs oxygen support and has a cough and a runny nose. He's watched so much tv in the last month that his brain is probably going to rot out of his head, but so it goes.

Not to mention the health insurance. Before we moved, we hit our out-of-pocket max... but then we moved and got new insurance through my husband's job, and we surely hit the out-of-pocket after his hospital stay. But now it's a new year and a new deductible and out-of-pocket max, and I'm pretty sure we've hit both already. That's about $12,000 in medical costs that we're going to have to pay... but of course, the bills arrive when they arrive and we won't really know the cost until they do.

But what's the alternative? Not going to the doctor and letting our kid die? Parents of medically fragile kids get especially screwed under our health insurance system, and considering it's not our fault that our kids were born with dysfunctional bodies, it really sucks.
stark

Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:39 pm

starrydreamer wrote: But what's the alternative? Not going to the doctor and letting our kid die?
Sorry, but I'm just never sure how to react to these posts of yours, they sound so intimate about such a sensitive personal situation, the very life of your child. I'm guessing, actually hoping, that you're aiming your message at some very close personal friends here that you've met in-person, not the general public at large reading a WWW horsey forum with occasional sidetracks thrown in.

That said, are we suppose to feel bad for your kid and send prayers or should we be feeling even worse for the parents who need to come up with $12K? Are you really asking us what's the alternative or was that just you being rhetorical?

Dazed and confused at what the internet delivers to us.

Be well.
starrydreamer

Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:51 pm

stark wrote:
starrydreamer wrote: But what's the alternative? Not going to the doctor and letting our kid die?
Sorry, but I'm just never sure how to react to these posts of yours, they sound so intimate about such a sensitive personal situation, the very life of your child. I'm guessing, actually hoping, that you're aiming your message at some very close personal friends here that you've met in-person, not the general public at large reading a WWW horsey forum with occasional sidetracks thrown in.

That said, are we suppose to feel bad for your kid and send prayers or should we be feeling worse for the parents who need to come up with $12K? Are you really asking us what's the alternative or was that just you being rhetorical?

Dazed and confused at what the internet delivers to us.

Be well.
I'm being rhetorical. You don't have to answer.

And I'm actually being pretty general about my son's problems. They aren't super personal. I don't think I've even mentioned the state I live in. I'm very aware that you don't need to be a member of the forum to read any part of the forum. I'm here to vent. No one needs to feel bad for me or my kid. I'm not looking for pity. Maybe commiseration on how cruddy the health insurance system in the US is, but honestly, I don't care if anyone even responds.

And yes, I have loved ones who I vent to as well, in much more detail, and not on this board. I guess I just need multiple outlets. There's something to be said about ranting rather anonymously to strangers.

I'm sorry if that confuses you.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:27 pm

It's called The VENT Thread for a reason. :P ;)
All of us get to rant about pretty much whatever we want. And, yes, the fact that 'health care system' is kind of an oxymoron - our health isn't its top (or 2nd or 3rd) priority, it doesn't care and the system is broken - is definitely worth ranting about. :evil:
stark

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:47 pm

starrydreamer wrote: There's something to be said about ranting rather anonymously to strangers.
I'm sorry if that confuses you.
Well, I guess so?
Just wish it was about a $12,000 car or repairs to your roof,
something most of us could relate to as there's nothing worse than looking at a child laying in a hospital bed.

Okay, I've got a question that might generate some conversation......Why do so many people from around the globe come to America for medical treatment, and this includes our Canadian friends to the north?

Is the American healthcare system really as bad as you suggest?
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:57 pm

IMHO, there are two separate things at work here.
Our doctors and hospitals are excellent, with probably some of the best care in the world. If a foreigner has the funds, or insurance that works for them here, then it's no surprise that those who can afford it come to the US for treatment.
If, however, you happen to be a not-in-the-1% resident with inadequate, expensive or non-existent insurance, that quality care may be hard to come by. :?
Somnambulist

Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:05 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:IMHO, there are two separate things at work here.
Our doctors and hospitals are excellent, with probably some of the best care in the world. If a foreigner has the funds, or insurance that works for them here, then it's no surprise that those who can afford it come to the US for treatment.
If, however, you happen to be a not-in-the-1% resident with inadequate, expensive or non-existent insurance, that quality care may be hard to come by. :?
Bingo
Somnambulist

Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:07 pm

Starry, if you haven't already read that contract in depth.

I've switched jobs quite a bit in the past few years and often if you're met money towards one deductible you can roll it over towards a new one.
starrydreamer

Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:20 pm

/d
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:IMHO, there are two separate things at work here.
Exactly.

My son gets EXCELLENT care here. No complaints about his providers. Health insurance is a different beast altogether. For example - a doctor prescribed an inhaler for my son. Our insurance provider, who has never actually seen my son, denied that prescription. It's not for anything extraordinary - I think it's a newer inhaler and it costs insurance more. Why is our health insurance and not our doctor deciding what medicine he gets?

My husband and I both are well educated and fully employed. We have insurance through our employers, which are both large multi-national corporations. We are luckier than most, and we can pay that $12,000 - it just hurts quite a bit.

There are plenty of things worse than looking at a child in a hospital bed, by the way. My kid's chances of recovering from anything he has are really good. That doesn't mean I don't get to vent about it.
starrydreamer

Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:21 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Starry, if you haven't already read that contract in depth.

I've switched jobs quite a bit in the past few years and often if you're met money towards one deductible you can roll it over towards a new one.
Oh really?? I'll look into it, thanks!!!
Somnambulist

Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:31 pm

starrydreamer wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:Starry, if you haven't already read that contract in depth.

Oh really?? I'll look into it, thanks!!!
I hope yours ends up being like this.

Apparently health care companies hate insuring both insurance agents and attorneys, because we read the contract too much. I had a $3k ded at my previous job and I found a one line sentence on page 31 of the contract and I held them to it. I had to fight but they honored it. I think I called them 3 times a day for a week but oh well. The companies make money hand over fist, they can deal.

If it wasn't in the healthcare contract it was in the employee handbook.
Tessablue

Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:05 pm

You don't have to defend yourself for what you've said, starry- this is explicitly a vent thread and I literally can't imagine what it's like to have to navigate those sorts of fears and problems. Please don't feel guilty for finding a healthy outlet to express yourself. I wish I had more to offer in terms of advice, but I wish you and your family the best.

Heartily agreeing with those who have pointed out the discrepancy between quality of care and affordability/access to care. The same thing plays out with our universities and our research institutions- the product is at or among the best in the world, but the system it is embedded in ranges from broken to barbaric. I'd also like to point out that the standard of care we are accustomed to is increasingly imperiled, but that's the sort of thing that doesn't get noticed on a wider scale until it's too late.
stark wrote:That said, are we suppose to feel bad for your kid and send prayers or should we be feeling even worse for the parents who need to come up with $12K?
I try to make a point to avoid responding to you, but the fact that you are interested in presenting this as a binary choice may say a lot about you as a person.
stark

Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:09 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:If a foreigner has the funds, or insurance that works for them here, then it's no surprise that those who can afford it come to the US for treatment.
Living in America's first sanctuary state, I can pretty much assure that your basic assumptions are not valid.