The VENT Thread

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:27 pm

It's called The VENT Thread for a reason. :P ;)
All of us get to rant about pretty much whatever we want. And, yes, the fact that 'health care system' is kind of an oxymoron - our health isn't its top (or 2nd or 3rd) priority, it doesn't care and the system is broken - is definitely worth ranting about. :evil:
BaroqueAgain1

Postby stark » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:47 pm

starrydreamer wrote: There's something to be said about ranting rather anonymously to strangers.
I'm sorry if that confuses you.

Well, I guess so?
Just wish it was about a $12,000 car or repairs to your roof,
something most of us could relate to as there's nothing worse than looking at a child laying in a hospital bed.

Okay, I've got a question that might generate some conversation......Why do so many people from around the globe come to America for medical treatment, and this includes our Canadian friends to the north?

Is the American healthcare system really as bad as you suggest?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:57 pm

IMHO, there are two separate things at work here.
Our doctors and hospitals are excellent, with probably some of the best care in the world. If a foreigner has the funds, or insurance that works for them here, then it's no surprise that those who can afford it come to the US for treatment.
If, however, you happen to be a not-in-the-1% resident with inadequate, expensive or non-existent insurance, that quality care may be hard to come by. :?
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Somnambulist » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:05 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:IMHO, there are two separate things at work here.
Our doctors and hospitals are excellent, with probably some of the best care in the world. If a foreigner has the funds, or insurance that works for them here, then it's no surprise that those who can afford it come to the US for treatment.
If, however, you happen to be a not-in-the-1% resident with inadequate, expensive or non-existent insurance, that quality care may be hard to come by. :?

Bingo
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Somnambulist » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:07 pm

Starry, if you haven't already read that contract in depth.

I've switched jobs quite a bit in the past few years and often if you're met money towards one deductible you can roll it over towards a new one.
Somnambulist

Postby starrydreamer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:20 pm

/d
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:IMHO, there are two separate things at work here.

Exactly.

My son gets EXCELLENT care here. No complaints about his providers. Health insurance is a different beast altogether. For example - a doctor prescribed an inhaler for my son. Our insurance provider, who has never actually seen my son, denied that prescription. It's not for anything extraordinary - I think it's a newer inhaler and it costs insurance more. Why is our health insurance and not our doctor deciding what medicine he gets?

My husband and I both are well educated and fully employed. We have insurance through our employers, which are both large multi-national corporations. We are luckier than most, and we can pay that $12,000 - it just hurts quite a bit.

There are plenty of things worse than looking at a child in a hospital bed, by the way. My kid's chances of recovering from anything he has are really good. That doesn't mean I don't get to vent about it.
starrydreamer

Postby starrydreamer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:21 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Starry, if you haven't already read that contract in depth.

I've switched jobs quite a bit in the past few years and often if you're met money towards one deductible you can roll it over towards a new one.

Oh really?? I'll look into it, thanks!!!
starrydreamer

Postby Somnambulist » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:31 pm

starrydreamer wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:Starry, if you haven't already read that contract in depth.

Oh really?? I'll look into it, thanks!!!

I hope yours ends up being like this.

Apparently health care companies hate insuring both insurance agents and attorneys, because we read the contract too much. I had a $3k ded at my previous job and I found a one line sentence on page 31 of the contract and I held them to it. I had to fight but they honored it. I think I called them 3 times a day for a week but oh well. The companies make money hand over fist, they can deal.

If it wasn't in the healthcare contract it was in the employee handbook.
Somnambulist

Postby Tessablue » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:05 pm

You don't have to defend yourself for what you've said, starry- this is explicitly a vent thread and I literally can't imagine what it's like to have to navigate those sorts of fears and problems. Please don't feel guilty for finding a healthy outlet to express yourself. I wish I had more to offer in terms of advice, but I wish you and your family the best.

Heartily agreeing with those who have pointed out the discrepancy between quality of care and affordability/access to care. The same thing plays out with our universities and our research institutions- the product is at or among the best in the world, but the system it is embedded in ranges from broken to barbaric. I'd also like to point out that the standard of care we are accustomed to is increasingly imperiled, but that's the sort of thing that doesn't get noticed on a wider scale until it's too late.
stark wrote:That said, are we suppose to feel bad for your kid and send prayers or should we be feeling even worse for the parents who need to come up with $12K?

I try to make a point to avoid responding to you, but the fact that you are interested in presenting this as a binary choice may say a lot about you as a person.
Tessablue

Postby stark » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:09 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:If a foreigner has the funds, or insurance that works for them here, then it's no surprise that those who can afford it come to the US for treatment.

Living in America's first sanctuary state, I can pretty much assure that your basic assumptions are not valid.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around