Best cat litter?

Starine

Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:55 pm

Thought I'd ask here, because you guys did well by me regarding vacuum cleaners ;)
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:12 am

What are your priorities? Do you need dust-free, firm clumping, natural ingredients or odor-reduction? All of the above? ;)
I use a clumping wheat litter. Started with SwheatScoop and then found PetSmart's in-house brand of wheat litter, which is slightly less expensive. It's still $15-$17 for a 17-lb. bag, which is pricier than regular clay litter, but it has less dust. Unfortunately, still not completely dust-free.
I like the texture (more important, so do my cats), and it's fragrance-free, which is a must. Even the litters with baking soda are too perfume-y for me.
Starine

Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:54 am

I don't like dust, but my main priorities are clumping ability and odor control since I have two cats who do a bad or nonexistent job of covering up their poo.

I really liked the Arm and Hammer Clump & Seal but it's also on the pricier end.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:54 pm

Check your local PetSmart (or other large pet supply chain) to see if they have a store-brand version with baking soda added. That might be equivalent but less expensive.
peeptoad

Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:55 am

I like the Arm and Hammer clumping stuff too, but unscented. Most cats I've known don't like scented littler for some reason. I don't have a cat now, but I babysit my mom's cat sometimes and he refuses to go in the scented stuff.
He's not the best at covering his poop either, so I just scoop it right out immediately and it doesn't stink the joint up. ;)
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:13 pm

IMHO, whoever came up with scented cat litters was designing the product for humans, with little thought given to the fact that a cat's sense of smell, like a dog's, is WAY more sensitive than ours.
If YOU can smell the fragrance in the litter, your cat, whose nose is inches from that stuff, probably feels like it's standing in the middle of a toxic chemical dump. :roll:
Flanders

Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:35 am

I had this female cat a couple years ago who, I swear, would wait until you went near the litter box and would just release the most vile smelling poo I have ever smelled. She especially liked doing it when I was washing clothes. I almost puked in my washing machine the first time. I held my noise after that. She was also evil in that she would meow and meow and meow, to try and get your to go into the room before she took a dump. She did this to my mom and stepdad once too. They were like I thought there was something wrong and then she stunk up the whole room. I said Yeah she is a freak. lol

Anyway back then, I don't have a cat now, I preferred clumping, no-perfume, and I liked the kind that came in a plastic container as it was easier to keep and store.
Forry Cow How

Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:41 am

I've always liked Fresh Step. I now use Fresh Step Lightweight. It works great.
Catalina

Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:30 am

If you want to cut down on the dust, you cam vigorously stir up the clean litter and vacuum up the clouds of dust. It takes a bit of practice to get good at that... ;)
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:38 pm

Flanders, I don't think your cat was deliberately trying to vex you with her smelly poo. For many cats, using the litter box can be a (for want of a better word) social occasion. Without being indelicate, my own cats always seem to want to hang out with me when I'm using my own 'litter box.' :lol:
Plus, having you near may have made her feel safer. In the wild, relieving oneself puts you in a vulnerable position. If she knew you were 'guarding' her, she may have felt free to do her 'business.'
Too bad she was so stinky...maybe a change in diet was in order?
Carotene

Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:06 pm

Two of my cats are big fans of this kind:
http://bluebuffalo.com/natural-cat-litt ... ng-litter/

And, one likes this:
http://m.armandhammer.com/productsdetai ... oduct_id=8

We did a lot of testing. We're all happy now. :)

Jenn
Formerly Play the King
Starine

Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:50 pm

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I had been using Fresh Step for several years because our Costco sold the 42-pound packs for something like $10. But then they abruptly stopped carrying it --as warehouse stores are wont to do-- and they started carrying Scoop Away (42#) instead for $9.

When I was out of cat litter a couple months ago I asked my dad to pick some up and he ended up selecting the Arm and Hammer Clump & Seal. As aforementioned, I was really impressed with the ability of it to mask cat poo odors, but it is kind of pricey. I'm going to try the regular Arm and Hammer litter since it's cheaper; if I'm not in love with it I may just go back to the Scoop Away.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:54 pm

You asked about litter? Now Yahoo has answered. :D
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-karen- ... 85706.html
I'm a little concerned that author feels there are reasons to avoid wheat litter, which I've been using for years. Perhaps because I keep a towel in front of the box, my cats haven't had a problem with ingesting the wheat?
Still, something to think about. :?
War Admiral

Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:58 am

I like to use Fresh Step clumping litter.
Government is not the solution to the problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan.