CHRB Steward Minutes

CHRB Steward Minutes

Postby serenassong » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:54 am

I thought that I would start this thread (had a similar one before the big crash) with some interesting notes from the minutes- good or bad- that perhaps others would like to see. Some of them can be quite comical- can remember in the old thread that there was a car or some type of vehicle parked to close to the starting gate and the notes read something like "some idiot parked too close to the gate and there was a delay until the party was located".

With that being said- this is a bit concerning- SA minutes:
"6-14-142 ALONSO QUINONEZ RULING – LATS #206
Jockey ALONSO QUINONEZ is fined THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($300.00)* for violation of California Horse Racing Board rule #1688(b) (Use of Whips – caused a welt) during the eighth race at Santa Anita Park on May 24, 2014.
This ruling was issued after Mr. Quinonez viewed video and photographs of the horse “Warren’s Assassin, which he rode to a win on May 24, 2014. The horse was observed to have a large welt and blood on its right flank. After seeing the photos and looking at the video, Mr. Quinonez acknowledged his guilt. He said that he would be more cognizant of where he hits his mounts in the future."

None deaths reported for the report on ending 6-14, which is always a good thing.

Report ending 6/21- good work by all involved:
"06/15/143 RACE DELAY-NINTH RACE
There was a 13 minute delay in this race when #4 QUEEN KALYRRA unseated her rider, ran off and fell over the inside rail of the main course while warming up for a turf race. The horse was stuck between the outside turf rail and main course inside rail. With the help of Track Veterinarian DANA STEAD, Outrider JESUS CAMACHO and Santa Anita’s maintenance crew, the horse was removed from that area with a shallow laceration to her shoulder and traveled in the horse ambulance back to her stable. The jockey, ELVIS TRUJILLO, was not injured."

Someone doesn't want to race....
"06/19/142 INQUIRY - NO CHANGE - SEVENTH RACE (one mile turf)
Following the running of the race, the Inquiry was posted to review the start of the race. Involved was #1 PUBLIC INTEREST (Tr. J. Shirreffs) who chose not to leave the gate when the field was dispatched. After a review of the race and conversation with Starter JAY SLENDER, it was a unanimous decision to declare the horse a starter. It took about 20 seconds to remove the horse from the gate, to allow the gate to be removed from the track so the race could be completed. The horse refused to walk out the front and had to be backed out. PUBLIC INTEREST also refused in its career start. Starter Slender has placed the horse on the Starter’s List; it will not be allowed to race in California."
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
serenassong

Re: CHRB Steward Minutes

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:25 pm

Sure sounds like Public Interest has cast his vote for a different career.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Diver52 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:44 pm

For once, the stewards are acting in the public interest. . . .

I know, that's too obvious. :D
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Diver52

Postby peeptoad » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:42 am

serenassong wrote:Someone doesn't want to race....
"06/19/142 INQUIRY - NO CHANGE - SEVENTH RACE (one mile turf)
Following the running of the race, the Inquiry was posted to review the start of the race. Involved was #1 PUBLIC INTEREST (Tr. J. Shirreffs) who chose not to leave the gate when the field was dispatched. After a review of the race and conversation with Starter JAY SLENDER, it was a unanimous decision to declare the horse a starter. It took about 20 seconds to remove the horse from the gate, to allow the gate to be removed from the track so the race could be completed. The horse refused to walk out the front and had to be backed out. PUBLIC INTEREST also refused in its career start. Starter Slender has placed the horse on the Starter’s List; it will not be allowed to race in California."

Ha ha. I saw that debut race of Public Interest's... and added him to my VS when he wouldn't break. I just wanted to see if that happened again. It took awhile...(that debut was in January 2013), but he did it again. ;)
peeptoad

Postby BlindLucky » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:54 am

peeptoad wrote:Ha ha. I saw that debut race of Public Interest's... and added him to my VS when he wouldn't break. I just wanted to see if that happened again. It took awhile...(that debut was in January 2013), but he did it again. ;)

Slightly off topic, but look up Tapativity's race record. Those DNFs aren't because he got hurt, they're because he never left the gate. And even when he did decide to break, he'd walk out of the gate lengths behind everyone else. Needless to say he's been retired now, probably in no small part because no one will let him run at their track due to his gate antics :lol:
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BlindLucky

Postby serenassong » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:16 am

SA notes- closing week

Things that make you go hmmm-
"06/27/141 DESORMEAUX MEETING
We held an informal meeting with jockey KENT DESORMEAUX to discuss the circumstances under which he was removed from his two mounts yesterday. We are requiring Mr. Desormeaux to submit to a breathalyzer each day before he rides and referred the matter to the CHRB for investigation."

Wardrobe Malfunction-
"06/29/141 FILM REVIEW
Jockey COREY NAKATANI came to the office as directed to discuss a few issues. We reviewed his ride in the fourth race yesterday which seemed odd but upon closer review, his mount was quite difficult to handle. We also discussed why he was late to the paddock for that same race. Apparently there was a zipper issue on his silks which was broken and it took time to find a replacement set."

Not today -
"06/29/147 FLORES MEETING
Jockey ESWAN FLORES came to the office to explain his erratic behavior the last two days. On the first day, he said after learning that he had missed the deadline for calling in to be late, he decided he really didn’t want to ride so didn’t come to the track. On the second day, he explained that he thought he had told our secretary that he was sick and taking off but that was inconsistent with our secretary’s story. Then he explained that although he was ordered to test yesterday, he thought it would be okay to just do it today. We ordered him to test and explained that he would be off mounts until the test results were in or we held a formal hearing into this incident."

Pulled a "Public Interest" (see previous post)- but better results.
"06/29/148 INQUIRY/NO CHANGE
Following the running of the fourth race, we posted the inquiry sign to examine an incident at the starting gate. Films revealed that although the gates opened properly and the assistant starter acted appropriately, #2 A C’S CRACKERJACK (A. Gryder. T. Proctor, trainer) refused to move. After a few seconds and some encouragement, the horse left the gates and eventually completed the race. No change was the unanimous decision and the horse was declared a starter."
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
serenassong

Postby serenassong » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:44 am

Week ending 6/22- Oak Tree meeting at Pleasanton (Alameda County Fair)

Improvements made -
"The lower-level trackside apron has been entirely resurfaced. The winner’s circle enclosure has been enlarged and beautified. The director’s room, on the way to the judge’s stand, has been enlarged in addition to new furniture, carpeting, artwork and resurfaced/remodeled food and beverage areas. In order for this enlargement to take place the Pleasanton press box has been removed. The timer operator, Equibase personnel and newspaper reporters will now work from an open air restricted area in the grandstand."

The Sounds of Pimlico-
"Thursday
06-19-141 ANNOUNCER REPLACEMENT
Dave Rodman, who is the regular announcer at Pimlico Racetrack in Maryland, is serving as track announcer here at Pleasanton for the first six (6) racing days. Rodman is filling in for Frank Mirahmadi while Frank fills in for Trevor Denman at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia."

Speedy recovery, Tony-
"06-19-144 MORNING ACCIDENT
Assistant Starter Tony Garcia was involved in an incident at the starting gate during morning training hours today. Garcia was kicked hard and was reported to have broken some ribs while attempting to school a horse. It was reported that Garcia will spend the night at a local hospital for observation."

FYI -
"06-22-144 CESAR NUNGARAY-GUZMAN (CASE NO. 14GG0043)
A formal hearing was held today at the Alameda County Fair in Pleasanton. Veterinarian Assistant/Owner Cesar Nungaray-Guzman was charged with alleged violation of California Horse Racing Board Rule #1489 (Grounds for Denial or Refusal of License). On the day of the hearing this complaint was amended to add CHRB Rule #1900 (Grounds for Suspension or Revocation), Rule #1902.5 (Animal Welfare) and Rule #1902 (Conduct Detrimental to Horse Racing).
The complaint reads as follows, “Nungaray-Guzman was convicted in Contra Costa County Superior Court of PC 597 (b) – Animal Cruelty. He is on probation for three years and cannot own animals.”
Along with the stewards present at today’s meeting were Veterinarian Assistant/Owner Cesar Nungaray-Guzman, CHRB Investigator Dan Dailey (Supervisor – North), and Contra
Costa County and Animal Control Services Sergeant Terry DeCosta. Christine Niccoli (Certified Court Reporter) transcribed the proceedings.
On April 18, 2012 Contra Costa County Animal Control was contacted by a concerned citizen who was horseback riding in the Richmond/El Sobrante Hills in the East Bay. Four (4) horses were soon seized by Animal Control. Pictures at today’s hearing showed obvious signs of malnourishment and/or rain rot that were found on these horses who were on a small ranch in these hills.
Guzman had been working for three (3) veterinarians at Golden Gate Fields as a veterinarian assistant. Guzman stated he was given most of the approximately eight (8) horses at the East Bay ranch that was owned by another individual. He purchased at least one (1) of these horses. He stated that his intent was to “help” these horses, who had problems, but he got too many of them and he couldn’t keep up with the cost of their upkeep.
At the live hearing Sergeant DeCosta said Contra Costa County spent $35,000 on veterinarian and boarding bills on the four (4) horses that were seized in order to rehabilitate these horses. Three (3) years probation and full restitution was the sentence for the one (1) misdemeanor conviction of PC 597 (b) – Animal Cruelty. Four (4) felony counts were originally filed in this matter. Guzman pled ‘no contest’ to the one (1) misdemeanor.
On April 23, 2014 CHRB Executive Director Rick Baedeker summarily suspended Guzman’s CHRB license. After this date Guzman traveled to Santa Anita Park to apply for a groom’s license at which time he was denied by CHRB enforcement.
The stewards will review all documents presented at the hearing. They will also consider all testimony given. A decision on the case will be made in the near future. More to follow."

As a note, they have been having some timing and tote board issues- both are being looked into and addressed. Seems to happen sporadically.
serenassong

Postby serenassong » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:16 pm

Oak Tree @ Pleasanton - 6/29

If anyone was looking for info on this one- will have to double check to see if this one is on the vets list-
"06-26-147 RACE #2 – ACCIDENT / DELAY
During the loading process for the 2nd race #1 THE PAPERBOY became fractious in the starting gate and flipped over. Jockey Martin Arriaga was unable to extract himself and was momentarily hung up in the gate before the assistant starter pulled him clear of the horse. There was a delay of the start until Mr. Arriaga was examined by the medical staff and the ambulance was back in position. Early reports were that the horse escaped injury other than scrapes and bruises and the rider was sent to the hospital for further examination with a possible leg injury. (See accident report)."

Ruling on case- see previous post
"06-27-143 RULING NO. 4 – OWNER/VETERINARIAN ASSISTANT CESAR NUNGARAY-GUZMAN (REF: 06-22-144)
Owner/Veterinarian Assistant CESAR NUNGARAY-GUZMAN is suspended for the term of his license 03/20/15 AND 03/20/14 EXP. for violation of California Horse Racing Board rules #1489 (Grounds for Denial or Refusal of License), #1902.5 (Animal Welfare) and #1902 (b) (Conduct Detrimental to Racing) having been convicted in Contra Costa County on 3/21/14 of PC 597 (b) – Animal Cruelty.
Further it is recommended that CESAR NUNGARAY-GUZMAN be denied any future licensing by the California Horse Racing Board.
During the term of suspension all license and license privileges of Owner/Veterinarian Assistant CESAR NUNGARAY-GUZMAN shall remain suspended and pursuant to California Horse Racing Board rule #1528 (Jurisdiction of Stewards), subject is denied access to all premises in this jurisdiction.
The foregoing ruling was issued after this Board gave the matter its due deliberation following a review of the evidence present at the hearing."

Better late than never I guess- peaked my interest because this is a Harlington-

"06-27-144 RULING NO. 5 – SHAUN CHRISTOPHER MORROW
Acting on an order of remand dated June 19, 2014 with California Horse Racing Board, Trainer SHAUN CHRISTOPHER MORROW, who started the horse CHARLSIE’S SONG, second place finisher in the fourth race at the Fresno District Fair on October 5, 2013 is suspended thirty (30) days, fined one thousand five hundred dollars ($1,500)* and placed on probation for one year from the date of this ruling pursuant to C.H.R.B. rule #1887 (a) (Trainer to Insure Condition of Horse) for violation of C.H.R.B. rule #1843 (a) and (d) (Medication, Drugs and Other Substances – Clenbuterol – [Class III]).
For cause, fifteen days of the thirty day suspension are stayed provided Mr. Morrow is not in violation of C.H.R.B. Rules and Regulations #1843 and #1877 regarding class III drug substances during the term of probation. If Mr. Morrow violates a condition of his probation the above reference fifteen (15) day stay of suspension shall be lifted and the remaining suspensions shall be imposed after notice and hearing. The fifteen (15) day suspension shall be served from July 5, 2014 through July 19, 2014 inclusive.
During the term of suspension all licenses and license privileges of trainer SHAUN C. MORROW are suspended and pursuant to C.H.R.B. rule #1528 (Jurisdiction of Stewards), subject is denied access to all premises in this jurisdiction."
The preceding ruling was issued after the stewards informed Mr. Morrow of the CHRB Board’s decision. Mr. Morrow was given a few days before the ruling was set to start to allow him the opportunity to arrange care for his horses."
serenassong

Postby serenassong » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:31 pm

Oak Tree @ Pleasanton-7/3

Close call for Vic- glad he is ok-
"07-03-142 SAFETY STEWARD CONCERN
Safety Steward Vic Stauffer came to the steward’s office and was advised to consider filing a complaint with the CHRB concerning almost being hit by a track water truck following the last race on Sunday. Details of the incident were omitted in our conversation due to the possibility of a future hearing."

Could have been worse-
"07-03-145 ROBERTS HEARING – CASE #14GG0063
A complaint was heard concerning an argument between trainer Don Roberts and exercise rider Ronald Glover which was observed by CHRB Investigator Louis Quesada. Although no physical assaults were observed or reported, Mr. Roberts was armed with a golf club. Testimony was taken and a decision to follow."
serenassong

Postby serenassong » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:41 pm

Los Al- TB/QH meet-

This is upsetting, not sure if a TB or QH- but unacceptable-
"SUNDAY
06/29/2014 (1) VINNIE BEDNAR VISITS
Jockey Vinnie Bednar was in to discuss his failure to dismount after his winning mount pulled up lame. He said he was in a quandary as another horse had broken down, and he did not think two horses could be put in the horse ambulance. We told him that if he is on a mount that is not traveling right, he is to get off and let the proper people worry about removing the horse from the track."
serenassong

Next

Return to Whatever Happened To?