CHRB Steward Minutes

BlindLucky

Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:54 pm

serenassong wrote:The complaint stated that Lindsay’s dog was observed tethered to an arm of a hot walking machine and also tied up in a stall. Lindsay admitted to both allegations, stating that he put the dog on the walking machine in order to get it some exercise. He said that he has trouble walking and felt the dog would benefit more on the machine than if he was hand walking it.
I've seen goats on the walker, no one cared about that!
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:59 pm

If the dog was was prone to getting loose and running around, I can understand why he was tied. I can't think of a much worse scenario than a dog running around a stable, possibly barking at and/or harrying already skittish TBs.
So long as the animal was attended to regularly, and not just left tied up for many hours, I think someone may be making a mountain out of a molehill.
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
serenassong

Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:55 pm

I don't normally read the minutes from Cal Expo all that much- it's a harness meet- but I can across these two interesting entries. You have to love the writing and the responses by the people involved

Cal Expo- W/E 10/19
"10/14/14 (2) Kim Stevens Schneider/ Quentin Schneider Trainer’s License
Owner/Trainer/Driver Quentin Schneider and his wife Kim Schneider approached the Stewards concerning the possibility of licensing Mrs. Schneider as a Trainer. Mrs. Schneider holds a Standardbred Canada “Trainers” License, and has been licensed in that capacity for four (4) years. However, it should be noted that Mrs. Schneider has never been listed as a Trainer during that period. In light of these facts the Board of Stewards were of the unanimous opinion that Mrs. Schneider should take the “California Trainers Test” prior to being permitted to assume responsibility for training the family stable. While this determination was not warmly received the coupled agreed to abide by the decision"

W/E 10/26-
Be nice to the outrider-
10/25/14 (2) Outrider/ Driver Discussion
"Outrider Billy Don Wainscott and Driver Williams Hernandez met with the Stewards before the first today. Outrider Wainscott told the Stewards that Driver Hernandez was training a horse ‘the wrong way’ at a high rate of speed earlier this week. Hernandez told the Stewards “other people do it.” The Stewards told Hernandez that Outrider Wainscott supervises training on the racetrack and that he will determine what is ‘too fast.’ Warning issued."
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
serenassong

Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:00 pm

GG W/E 10/26-
Potty Mouth in the Paddock-
"10-25-145 RULING #6 – JAVIER M. LANDEROS
Valet Javier M. Landeros met with the Stewards regarding his repeated tardiness to
the saddling paddock. Of more concern was his use of foul and abusive language
directed toward the Clerk of Scales when directed to see the Stewards for his latest
tardiness.
Clerk of Scales Ken Sjordal and Paddock Judge Linda Anderson both attested to Mr.
Landeros’ prior warnings and the latter acknowledged directing the abusive
Language toward Mr. Sjordal."

Some interesting notes from Los Al QH meet 10/19
Case of possible neglect of a pony :?
"(3)ROPAR INFORMAL HEARING – ROPAR RULING
An informal hearing was conducted to address Case #14LA0241. Present were Pony Rider Amanda Ropar, character witness and boyfriend Roberto Hernandez, Safety Steward Randy Winick, Stewards George Slender, James Dreyer, and Ruben Moreno, and co-case presenters Supervising Investigator Tom Blake and Investigator Kevin Kitashima. At issue were the conditions in which Pony Rider Amanda Ropar’s horse had been kept. Pictures submitted to the Stewards by Investigators showed Ms. Ropar’s horse to have no feed and inadequate bedding. Ms. Ropar responded that the horse had always been adequately cared for and presented her own photos showing the horse, currently stabled at Santa Anita, in good condition. The Stewards countered that numerous complaints had been voiced concerning the welfare of her horse while he was stabled at Los Alamitos and issued the following ruling:
RULING #191
PONY RIDER AMANDA ROPAR IS FINED TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS ($200.00)* FOR VIOLATION OF CALIFORNIA HORSE RACING BOARD RULE #1902.5 (ANIMAL WELFARE - NEGLECT)."

Use the door-
SUNDAY
10/19/2014 (1)ALDANA RULING
RULING #192
"GROOM HECTOR M. ALDANA IS FINED TWENTY-FIVE DOLLARS ($25.00)* FOR VIOLATION OF CALIFORNIA HORSE RACING BOARD RULE #1530 (CASES NOT COVERED BY RULES AND REGULATIONS – FENCE JUMPING).
The above ruling was issued after Groom Hector Aldana appeared before the Stewards to address Security Violation #4874. Mr. Aldana was cited for illegally entering the stable area by jumping over a back fence."

Could have been worse-
"(2)SEVENTH RACE – INCIDENT
Prior to the start of the seventh race, #6 “Flying Porsche Girl” broke through the gate, unseating Jockey Cesar De Alba and ran off. “Flying Porsche Girl” was eventually caught by the gate crew. Both horse and rider were uninjured."
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:34 pm

There should be more notes coming concerning that 7th race at Los Al...that's the race where Wag the Dog (the other horse who took off along with 'Porsche Girl) ended up floundering in an infield lake.
serenassong

Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:49 am

Yep- I am keeping an eye out for that one.
serenassong

Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:01 am

SA 10/25

More abuse?
10/24/143 LEYTE FORMAL HEARING CASE 14SA232
"This complaint filed by the CHRB involves a possible violation of CHRB Rule #1902.5 (Animal Welfare), #1902 (Conduct Detrimental to Horse Racing), pursuant to Rule, #1900 (Grounds for Suspension or Revocation) against exercise rider GUADALUPE LEYTE. Court Reporter MICHELLE DERIEG documented the proceedings and Senior Investigator RICK AMIEVA represented the CHRB. Also present were interpreter and translator RAFAEL DIEGO and appearing as a witness, Racing Veterinarian DANA STEAD.
Testimony given by Dr. Stead stated that the pony horse involved had numerous sores on his legs and body, most of which could need extensive time to heal. He also stated the horse was underweight. Investigator Amieva shared photographs of all sores on the horse. Mr. Leyte stated through the interpreter that the horse had injured itself in the stall after shipping from Del Mar and that he was treating the injuries.
After testimony from Dr. Stead and Guadalupe Leyte, all documents presented were entered into evidence and the hearing was closed. Decision to follow."

Interesting- jocks warning about keeping their horses under control coming out of the gate, imagine that!
"10/25/141 FILM REVIEW
Jockey ALONSO QUINONEZ met with the Stewards to review the last race yesterday. Mr. Quinonez made an effort to straighten his horse out of the gate, but his rein was too long. He was issued a warning. He stated he would try to make better efforts in the future.
Jockeys JOE TALAMO and DRAYDEN VAN DYKE also met with the BOS to review the fifth race on Thursday. The issue was the effort or lack of effort to straighten their mounts leaving the starting gate. After much discussion of different styles and efforts, both were excused with a warning. Both tried to correct, but the Stewards felt their efforts could have been more aggressive.
"

Hmm- and the report for BC days is out already? That is the fastest I have ever seen this happen-
W/E 11/2
BC Classic-
"11/01/142 INQUIRY/NO CHANGE
Following the running of the 12th race today (Breeders’ Cup Classic), we posted the Inquiry sign to examine an incident at the start (Dirt, 1¼ miles). Involved in the incident were the winner #7 BAYERN (M. Garcia) and several horses to his inside -- #6 SHARED BELIEF (M. Smith) and #4 MORENO (J. Castellano). Film review revealed that #7 BAYERN broke in sharply, bumped #6 SHARED BELIEF, causing a chain reaction with several other horses to his inside, including #4 MORENO, who also broke out slightly. #6 SHARED BELIEF finished fourth, 3½ lengths behind the third place finisher while #4 MORENO finished far behind the leaders. After speaking with the patrol judges and riders involved, it was our unanimous decision that pursuant to CHRB Rule 1699, that the incident occurred in a part of the race where the horses interfered with were not cost the opportunity to place where they were reasonably expected to finish."
serenassong

Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:45 pm

Delmar- 11/9

Giving horse away?
"11/08/142 COMPLAINT DISMISSED
A complaint filed by Jose Castellano, the owner of Two Friends Ranch, against owner John Pinner was dismissed after hearing testimony from both sides. According to Mr. Pinner’s trainer, Danny Velasquez, the horse in question, Dashing Ash, was given away to Gregorio Ruiz, who isn’t Licensed by the CHRB, who subsequently sent the horse to Mr. Castellano’s ranch. We will attempt to contact Mr. Ruiz in order to settle the matter."

Distance runner?
11/09/145 REFUND
"There was a refund in the third race as #6 Chuck’s Chuckle unseated jockey William Antongeorgi during the post parade and ran off two miles before being caught. The refund came to a total of $12,298.26. Mr. Antongeorgi was not injured."

GG- 11/9
Putting it nicely-
"11-07-146 OWNER ROGER STEIN CALLS STEWARDS
Mr. Stein phoned the Stewards this morning and requested an ownership change from him to his nephew Joshua Stein on the horse POCKET PRINCE that is scheduled to race in the 5th race today. Mr. Stein’s license is currently under suspension. His request was denied and he was informed the horse would have to be scratched. Naturally, Mr. Stein voiced an objection to the horse being scratched."

Get to the track on time-
"11-08-144 JOCKEY SILVIO AMADOR – RULING NO.15
Jockey SILVIO AMADOR is fined the sum of fifty dollars ($50.00)*
for reporting to the jockey’s room late on Friday, November 7, 2014;
a violation of California Horse Racing Board rule #1680 (Jockeys and
Drivers to Report).
The preceding ruling was issued after Mr. Amador met with the Stewards and provided a feeble excuse for failing to report on time."

LosAl 11/2-
"Walk the Dog incident"
"5)RACE DELAY
There was a thirty-three minute delay after one of the two horses that broke through the gate prior to the start of the seventh race jumped the inside rail and ended up in the lake. Enough praise cannot be bestowed on Outrider Eric Newdock after he jumped into the water and singlehandedly placed girths around the gelding so he could be lifted out of the lake. Also instrumental in the rescue were the gate and maintenance crews. It appears that “Walk The Dog” is going to be just fine"
serenassong

Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:22 pm

Delmar- 11/30
Go to the video tape-
"11/18/144 RULING DFTD #016
Jockey COREY NAKATANI who rode MARINA DEL HEAT in the second race at Del Mar Race Track on November 23, 2014, is suspended for FIVE RACING DAYS (December 7, 11, 12, 13 and 14, 2014) for violation of California Horse Racing Board rules #1699 (d) (Ride carelessly, or willfully, so as to permit their mount to interfere with or impede any other horse) and #1884 (Unsatisfactory Rides).
This ruling was issued after Mr. Nakatani had viewed the second race from this past Sunday, during which he carried a competing horse wide entering the first turn of the one and one sixteenth turf race. Mr. Nakatani insisted that his horse was rank and was running off with him and he asked the rider to his outside to help him negotiate the turn. A conversation with the rider who was carried out, Brandon Boulanger, did not corroborate Mr. Nakatani’s statement. Video review was, in fact, damaging, as it showed Mr. Nakatani pointing his filly’s head to the right, then drifting out and ultimately bumping Boulanger’s mount."

You can use the video tape- if available-
"11/29/145 TIGHT PAN SHOT SNAFU
One of our video shots used for officiating, the “tight pan”, was not available for the Grade III Native Diver Stakes as TVG, the video coverage provider for this meeting, decided to use that shot in order to isolate the favorite, #2 Tamarando.
We were not informed of their intentions prior to the race and realized what was happening when the field was in the first turn and the shot, which is always on the leaders, showed a horse that was running fifth position.
The TVG director was contacted and he apologized, stating that it would not happen again.
Fortunately, there were no incidents during the races."
serenassong

Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:33 pm

From GG minutes- 11/30
This was not a good idea-
"11-27-144 TRAINER JAMEY THOMAS MEETS WITH THE STEWARDS
Trainer Jamey Thomas met with the Board, as instructed, to explain his failure to
follow the instructions of the Racing Veterinarian following the running of Sunday’s
(11/23/14) 3rd race. Mr. Thomas disregarded the Veterinarian’s instructions to place
his horse in the horse ambulance following the running of the race and proceeded to
walk the horse to the test barn. Thomas explained that in his opinion the horse was
walking soundly and did not need the horse ambulance. Decision to follow."

"11-29-144 JAMEY THOMAS – RULING NO.26
Trainer JAMEY THOMAS is fined the sum of two hundred dollars
($200.00)* pursuant to CHRB rule #1549 (Recommendation of
Discipline) for failure to follow the instructions of the Racing Vet-
erinarian following the running of the third race on Sunday Novem-
ber 23, 2014.
The preceding ruling was issued after the matter was given due consideration."
serenassong

Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:54 pm

Starting to go over the minutes from the CHRB tracks- which I have been bad about as of late-

GG W/E- 1/19

Hell, no, don't want to run, just want to have fun-
"01-19-153 INQUIRY – 2ND RACE
The inquiry sign was posted following the running of the second race for a review of the actions of #1 AFRICAN OIL ridden by jockey Leslie Mawing.
After reviewing the recordings of the incident the race was made official. The
recordings show #1 cause its own problems when it started bucking soon after the start.
Jockey Mawing was able to stay mounted and pulled the horse up safely without further incident. The horse was placed on the Stewards list and will be required to work 5/8s of a mile gate work prior to racing again."

GG W/E 2/1-
Whip ruling- jock pissed off?
"01-30-153 FILM REVIEW
Jockey Pablo Flores viewed the tapes of yesterday’s third race in which he was trailing the field in the stretch and applied the whip when his horse was not gaining
ground. Flores was cautioned to put the whip away when his horse is no longer competitive."

Shoe Issues-
"01-31-153 SHOE BUSINESS
Two horses in different races encountered problems with their shoes this afternoon resulting in eight minute delays in the starts of those races.
In the seventh race #6 SWEET SHOP, trained by Jeff Bonde, lost a shoe during the
warm up. The horse was returned to the paddock where Horseshoe Inspector Butch Fyllingness renailed the shoe to the hoof.
In the ninth race #4 COUNTRY COUNTESS, trained by Arnold Torres, spread a shoe
while the horses were being loaded into the starting gate in the 3/4 chute. The field was backed out of the gate and the jockeys dismounted. Fyllingness was dispatched to the chute and attempted to tack up the shoe but the horse became fractious, injured herself and was subsequently scratched by the Stewards on the recommendation of the Track Veterinarian Sara Sporer. The refund amounted to $103,206.52."

More looks at starts-
"02-08-154 1ST RACE - INQUIRY
The inquiry sign was lit following the running of the first race for a review of observed
interference leaving the starting gate involving #2 KUUIPO (2nd place – jockey Carson
Sullivan, #3 ONTHEWINGSOFSLEW (5th place – jockey Pedro Terrero) and #4 SOUTH-
ERN OWAH (1st place – jockey Abel Cedillo).
After reviewing all the recorded views the numbers posted were made official. The re-
cording shows that #2 and #3 meet in the middle as #2 breaks out with #3 breaking
inward. #3 then rebounds out on the heels of #4 and subsequently stumbles after
catching the heels of that rival. #3 contributed to the interference therefore no dis-
qualification was necessary.
02-08-155 2ND RACE - INQUIRY - DISQUALIFICATION
Following the running of the 2nd race the inquiry sign was posted once again for a re-
view of the start involving #2 SEVENINTHESEVENTH (5th place – jockey Pedro Flores),
#3 SHOWMEISTER (3rd place – jockey Silvio Amador), #4 WE BELIEVE (6th place –
jockey Dennis Carr) and #5 HILL TRIBE (2nd place – jockey David C. Lopez).
After reviewing all of the recorded views #2 was disqualified from 5th to 6th.
The recordings show #2 break sharply to the right as the field left the gate and caused
interference to #3, #4 and #5 to the extent that placings were affected. #2 was dis-
qualified and placed last for the interference. The decision was unanimous."
serenassong

Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:28 am

Yep- finally get around to this-

Santa Anita-
W/E 1/3
Refusing to break-
"12/28/143 INQUIRY/NO CHANGE
We posted the Inquiry sign after the start of the third race when #2 SEEKING BLISS refused to break. After speaking with the starter and reviewing the videos, we declared the horse a starter as she caused her own difficulty. As discussed with the trainer before the race, based on her record, this was her final opportunity to run in California."

W/E 1/10-
Personal space-
"1/8/154 GOLDBERG-HOPPERMEETING
Owners JOSIE GOLDBERG and GREG HOPPER met with the Stewards this morning to try and sort out personal issues between them that are a problem during morning training hours as well as at the races in the afternoon. Both parties complained that the other belittles them in public with unsavory comments and loud opinions. They were both told to stay away from each other while under CHRB jurisdiction, or a complaint could be filed against them. They agreed to do so."

More fighting-
"1/10/155 HERRARTE HEARING CASE 15SA003 – RULING LATS #015
The CHRB filed a complaint against groom EDGAR HERRARTE pursuant to CHRB rule #1874 (Disorderly Conduct). According to Pomona Security, Mr. Herrarte approached horseshoer AGUSTINMUNOZ to request a loan in the amount of $1,000.00. When he was denied the loan, Mr. Herrarte, who was extremely intoxicated threatened Mr. Munoz with a knife. At this point, Mr. Munoz fled the scene and contacted Pomona Security. The following ruling was issued when Mr. Herrarte failed to appear for the scheduled hearing:
Groom EDGAR HERRARTE, having failed to respond to a complaint alleging
violation of California Horse Racing Board rule #1874 (Disorderly Conduct –
assault and arrest) is suspended for violation of California Horse Racing Board
rule #1547 (Failure to Appear). During the term of the suspension, all licenses and license privileges of EDGAR HERRARTE are suspended and pursuant to California Horse Racing Board rule #1528 (Jurisdiction of Stewards to Suspend or Fine), Mr. HERRARTE is denied access to all premises in this jurisdiction."

W/E 1/24
Mongolian racing visit-
"1/19./152 MONGOLIAN RACING FEDERATION
Safety Steward LUIS JAUREGUI is hosting representatives of the Mongolian Horse Racing Federation today. They visited our office this morning to learn what our duties in California racing entail."

Belonging hurt before breakdown? Race before she broke down(2-12)- seems like there may have been an issue before hand(perhaps, although there was a work in between)- found this interesting- R. I. P.
"1/23/154 INQUIRY/NO CHANGE
We posted the Inquiry sign following the running of the seventh race to examine the circumstances under which the last place finisher, #9 MARINA DEL HEAT (F. Perez), took up sharply at the 3/8ths pole. Video was somewhat inconclusive but seemed to indicate that the horse on the rail (#8 BELONGING, A. Green) drifted out, and the horse on the outside (#1 KUKALUKA, B. Boulanger) drifted in, causing the squeeze. However, given the video and the finish position of the horse who suffered the interference, we unanimously voted to make no change to the original of finish."

Animal welfare case-
"1/24/154 LEYTE RULING – LATS #020
We issued the LEYTE ruling this morning after a lengthy deliberation. This complaint involved an animal welfare allegation against Pony Rider GUADALUPE LEYTE. Mr. Leyte owned a pony that was found to be in poor condition by the CHRB investigators. The pony was an appropriate weight and was fed properly but had several rub marks from the saddle, bandages, etc. Although they were being treated with medication, the concern was how they occurred in the first place and at what point should the pony have been turned out. Mr. Leyte admitted the mistake but maintained that the horse was always given appropriate care. Before the hearing two months ago, that particular pony was turned out. About two weeks ago, Steward KIM SAWYER and Safety Steward LUIS JAUREGUI conducted a surprise inspection of the pony barn, for general deterrence but more specifically to examine Mr. Leyte’s current ponies. All were in good condition. Given the circumstances, we issued the following ruling:
Exercise rider GUADALUPE LEYTE is fined ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS ($1,000.00) and suspended for THIRTY (30) DAYS (February 2, 2015, through
March 3, 2015) for violation of California Horse Racing Board rule #1902.5
(Animal Welfare). TWENTY (20) DAYS of the suspension (February 12, 2015,
through March 3, 2015) are stayed provided that Mr. LEYTE not violate any
California Horse Racing Board rules related to animal welfare."

Merry-go-round saddles-
"1/24/156 RACE DELAY
The seventh race was delayed approximately fifteen minutes when two jockeys realized that they had the wrong saddles after the horses had entered the track. Both horses were returned to the paddock, both riders weighed out again and the horses rejoined the field. We were careful to take the riders off once the rest of the field reached the starting gate, so that all horses carried weight for approximately the same amount of time from the paddock to race start. We will meet with the parties involved tomorrow to determine if penalties are appropriate and how to prevent this from occurring in the future."

W/E 1/31
Saddle issue-
"1/25/152 SWITCHED SADDLE MEETING refer 1/24/156)
Valet JAMIE GALINDO and Clerk of the Scales KEVIN COLOSI met with the Stewards to discuss the saddle switch yesterday in the seventh race. Mr. Galindo was candid in taking the blame for the incident; he was very busy and had two of the riders he takes care of in that race. After the two jockeys were weighed out, another jockey room employee, DAVID RODRIQUEZ, trying to help, accidentally placed the two saddles in the
wrong boxes where they await pick up by the next valet who saddles the horse. Neither jockey FRANK ALVARADO nor MARIO GUTIERREZ noticed they were not in their own saddle until the horses were on the turf course. The Stewards felt the jockeys involved were also at fault for the mix up. This same scenario seems to occur about once a year. There will be more awareness after this incident and maybe find a better method to weigh out."

W/E 2/14-

San Marcos DQ -
"2/8/151 FILM REVIEW
Jockey MARTIN PEDROZA came to the office this morning to discuss his ride in the seventh race yesterday (San Marcos Handicap) after which his mount was the subject of an Inquiry that resulted in disqualification. Mr. Pedroza was candid in stating that he didn’t realize that there was a horse between him and the eventual winner and therefore allowed his horse to drift out further than he should have. He therefore expected the following ruling: LATS #028
Jockey MARTIN PEDROZA, who rode DIAMOND BACHELOR in the seventh
race at Santa Anita Park on February 7, 2015, is suspended for THREE
(3) racing days (February 14, 15, and 16, 2015) for failure to make the
proper effort to maintain a straight course in the stretch, causing interference which resulted in the disqualification of his mount. This constitutes a
violation of California Horse Racing Board rule #1699 (Riding Rules).
Pursuant to California Horse Racing Board rule #1766 (Designated
Races) the term of suspension shall not prohibit participation in
designated races."

Not in front of the gate-
"2/14/153 OUTRIDER CITATIONS
We published the following two rulings pursuant to two citations issued by the morning outrider for jogging in front of the gate during a time when such action is prohibited:
LATS #032
Pursuant to California Horse Racing Board rule #1530 (Cases Not Covered
by Rules and Regulations) trainer RONALD ELLIS is fined FIFTY DOLLARS ($50.00) for giving instructions to an exercise rider in contradiction of track
safety rules.
LATS #033
Exercise rider YUTTAKARN “UTAH” CHOPTHONGLANG is fined FIFTY DOLLARS ($50.00) for violation of California Horse Racing Board rule #1930 (Obedience to Security Officers and Public Safety Officers – backtracking in contradiction of track safety rules)."

W/E 2/21-

Bumper cars-
"2/16/155 INQUIRY - FIFTH RACE 1 1/8 turf - NO CHANGE
Following the running of the race the Inquiry sign was posted to review two incidents. The first involved #6 MARINA DEL RAY (F. Prat, 6th), #7 WARREN’S TRICIA R.
(R. Bejarano, 7th), #5 WINNINGINFASHION (E. Maldonado, 8th) and #8 BERT’S MELODY (B. Blanc, 1st) at the start. After a review of the videos and conversation with the Patrol Judges, it was a unanimous decision to make no change. In the Stewards’ opinion the #8 did break inward, bumped #7; #6 was pinched after a slow break due to the jockey falling back on the reins and #5 broke out into #6. It was the Stewards’ opinion that those bothered were not cost the opportunity of a better placing.
The second incident reviewed involved #5 WINNINGINFASHION (E. Maldonado, 8th), #7 WARREN’S TRICIA R. (R. Bejarano, 7th) and #4 FRANDONTJUDGE (E. Trujillo, 3rd). The #5 horse took up while being passed and possibly shaved by #4 on the outside. This caused the #7 to run up behind #5 and steady. In the Stewards’ opinion, this incident didn’t affect the final placing, and the race was made official. Jockey ELVIS TRUJILLO will meet with the Stewards on Friday."

Blowing up the board-
"2/16/156 LONG SHOT - SIXTH RACE
The winner of this race, #11 TRIUNFO (S. Arias), paid $107.20. Oddly enough after examining the Racing Form to look for a reversal of form, this horse was beaten only three lengths in the same race condition in its last start. The horse was 20-1 on the program."

More time in paddock-
"2/20/155 SECOND LOOP
Forty minutes before post time the Stewards learned that the jockeys might refuse to ride if required to ride their mounts a second loop in the walking ring before exiting to the racetrack. This procedure has been in place for at least a year. Management implemented this practice in order to give racing fans a longer look at the horses in the paddock. The jockeys feel it is a safety issue. After talking to the Jockey Guild Representative DARRELL HAIRE and Santa Anita management, we instructed personnel to go with the jockeys’ protocol for today’s card and advised management and the guild to resolve their differences by the start of tomorrow’s card."
serenassong

Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:58 am

GG- W/E 2/19

No love in the jock's room-
02-14-153 CLERK OF SCALES - VALET
The Clerk of Scales, Ken Sjordal, and valet Joe Hernandez met with the Stewards this morning to clear the air regarding a confrontation in the Jockey’s Room.
Mr. Sjordal had called for the valets to go to the paddock to saddle and Mr. Hernandez took exception as the horses had not yet arrived.
Mr. Hernandez was reminded that the Clerk of Scales is in charge of the room, including Valets, and he calls for them to go to the paddock the same time for every race and all valets shall comply.

Vallejo Suspension-
"02-15-153 RULINGS #26 & #27 – GENARO O. VALLEJO (CASE 14GG0096)
RULING #26
In accordance with the terms of a stipulated agreement with
the California Horse Racing Board Owner/Trainer GENARO O.
VALLEJO, who started the horse TECHWOOD, third place fini-
sher in the fourth race at Golden Gate Fields on August 28,
2014 is hereby suspended one hundred and eighty (180) days,
fined the sum of five thousand dollars ($5000.00)* and placed
on probation for one year pursuant to California Horse Racing
Board rule #1887 (Trainer to Insure Condition of Horse) for vio-
lation of California Horse Racing Board rules #1843 (a) (c) & (d)
(Medication, Drugs and Other Substances), #1843.1 (b) (Prohib-
ited Drug Substances) and #1844 (e) (1) (Authorized Medica-
tions) after the post race test sample showed the presence of 2- (Hydroxyethyl) Promazine, a metabolite of Acepromazine, in ex-
cess of the permitted level (593 nanograms per milliliter in the
urine and 2.2 nanograms per milliliter in the blood [Class 3]).
According to the stipulated agreement sixty (60) days of suspen-
sion shall be stayed providing that during the term of probation Mr.
Vallejo is not found to be in violation of California Horse Racing
Board rules and regulations, #1843 (Medication, Drugs and Other
Substances), #1843.6 (Total Carbon Dioxide Testing) and #1887
(Trainer to Insure Condition of Horse) regarding Class 1, 2, or 3
drug substances. The term of suspension shall be from February
21, 2015 through June 20, 2015 inclusive. If Mr. Vallejo violates
a conditionof probation, the above referenced stay of the sixty
(60) day suspension shall be lifted, and the remaining actual sus-
pension shall be imposed after notice and hearing.
Further, Owner/Trainer GENARO O. VALLEJO is hereby suspended
sixty (60) days, June 21, 2015 through August 19, 2015 inclusive,
for violating the terms of probation imposed in Pacific Racing Asso-
ciation ruling #12, dated September 15, 2013. The term of proba-
tion shall be served from August 20, 2015 through August 19,
During the term of this suspension all licenses and license priv-
ileges of GENARO O. VALLEJO are suspended pursuant to Cali-
fornia Horse Racing Board rule #1528 (Jurisdiction of Stew-
ards), subject is denied access to all premises in this jurisdiction."

No contest- gate malfunction-
"02-15-154 RACE DECALRED – NO CONTEST – 1ST RACE
The Stewards declared the first race a no contest as a starting gate malfunction
prevented the track crew from moving the gate after the start of the mile race.
Disaster was avoided as all six horses pulled up prior to arriving back to the
Starting point as the gate was still in position on the track.
Starter Todd Stephens reported that the pin that locks the sleeve connecting the
gate to the tractor snapped. Stephens stated that neither the gate nor the tractor
carried an extra pin and therefore the gate remained immobile.
Although serious injury was averted the Stewards are concerned that the only
warning system available to them to warn the riders is through the announcer and
the outriders. The refund amounted to $192,764.00. More to come."
BlindLucky

Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:00 pm

Wait wait wait... so this Genaro Vallejo guy, he got handed a 180 day suspension for a medication overage, but they stayed 60 days of it and put him on probation for a year. He'll serve suspension from February 21, 2015 through June 20, 2015.

But this guy was ALREADY on probation from a violation last year, so they're making him serve 60 more days (which are the days that were stayed from his sentence last year on condition that he didn't break probation), so he'll serve that from June 21, 2015 through August 19, 2015.

So WHY stay any days of his 180 they gave him this year if he was still on probation from last year? This whole thing is ridiculous.

Here, you're suspended 180 days.
But we'll stay 60 of those days if you promise to be good for the next year.
But you now need to serve 60 more days from last year's sentence because you were on probation already and proved you couldn't keep things clean for even one year.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
serenassong

Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:24 am

Yep- the whole thing is confusing and really nuts.
serenassong

Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:57 am

GG W/E 2/22

My turn to wash-
02-21-156 CANO HEARING
"An informal hearing was conducted for groom Telma Cano who was accused in a security report with instigating an incident with a fellow employee over the right to use the washing machine at their employer’s barn. Groom Olga Garcia stated that Cano became abusive and threw bandages on the ground that she (Garcia) was washing when Cano wanted to use the machine for her bandages.
The incident was not witnessed by an independent third party so credible evidence as to who did what to whom was lacking. The Stewards achieved a détente between the two. They shook hands before departing and were admonished to put the incident behind them. "

GG W/E 3/1
So they do DQ for interference at the break :twisted:
"02-26-155 INQUIRY/DISQUALIFICATION – 7th RACE
The inquiry sign was posted following the running of the 7th race for a review of
observed interference at the start involving #2 SIBERIAN OLYMPIAD (1st place –
jockey Cristobal Herrera), #3 MCCANN’S HALF FULL (6th place- jockey Kyle Frey)
and #4 MONTEREY KRIS (5th place – jockey Abel Cedillo).
After talking to the riders involved and reviewing the various recorded views #4
was disqualified from 5th to 6th place. The recordings show #2 and #3 making
slight contact at the start as #4 breaks inward making contact with #3 which
tipped #2 outward after making contact with that rival’s rear quarters. The
decision was unanimous."

On the Right Side incident- seem to remember some were asking about this?
"02-27-157 2nd RACE – ACCIDENT/INQUIRY/DISQUALIFICATION
The inquiry sign was posted once again for a review of an accident near the one
eighth pole marker involving #6 CRIMSON CLOUD (3rd place – jockey Pedro Terrero) and #4 ON THE RIGHT SIDE (fell – jockey Pedro Flores).
After reviewing the recorded views #6 was disqualified from 3rd to unplaced. The recordings show #6 drift in into the path of #4 placing that rival on heels and causing that rival to clip heels and fall. Jockey Pedro Flores was examined by track physician David Seftel and transported to Highland Hospital for further examination. The horse appeared to be uninjured."

How would you like be hit upside the head?
"02-28-155 SILVIO RUIZ AMADOR (CASES 15GG0016 AND 15GG0018)
Jockey Silvio Amador was cited in complaint 15GG0016 for bringing an unauthorized visitor into the barn area and in complaint 15GG0018 where it was cited alleged that he was whipping a horse about the head area.
After hearing the details of the unauthorized visitor incident from Golden Gate Fields security and the witness to the alleged whipping incident warnings were issued for both complaints."
serenassong

Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:10 am

SA W/E 2/28

Play nice...
"2/22/153 VIDEO REVIEW
VICTOR ESPINOZA, EDWIN MALDONADO, and BRANDON BOULANGER were in the office this morning to review an incident passing the ¼ pole in yesterday’s final race. There was a five-horse spread racing toward the back of the pack when Mr. Espinoza’s horse ducked in slightly. This resulted in Mr. Boulanger’s horse stepping in, causing severe interference to the three horses to his inside. Mr. Maldonado, who was just to Boulanger’s inside, blamed Boulanger for the entire incident, stating that he did not react to the incident in the proper manner. Espinoza also blamed Boulanger. It should be noted that Mr. Boulanger, an apprentice rider, has had his share of problems with other riders in the room and will not get a break when it comes to riding incidents. In this case, however, it was a combination of factors, not solely the “bug boy.”

Better late than never-
"2/22/155 CHANGE IN RACING SURFACE CREATES PROBLEMS IN PARI-MUTUEL DEPARTMENT
A heavy downpour occurred during the running of the second race, prompting management to switch races four and eight, originally scheduled for six and one- half furlongs on the turf, to the main track. Since the Pick 5 wager had started in race one, California Horse Racing Board rule #1976.9(n) came into play. That rule dictates that should a change in racing surface occur once the wagering starts and the change has not been announced to the public before the close of wagering, all wagers on such race shall be considered winning wagers for the purpose of the pool.
The problem arose when the Tote Department tried to calculate the price for winning Pick 5 wagers. It originally thought that a software glitch was the source of the problem, but it later was determined that a human error was the cause. It was not until 8:30 P.M. on Sunday evening that a price could be calculated."

At least he admits he was wrong-
"2/27/154 RULING – LATS #050
Jockey KENT DESORMEAUX is fined THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS
($300.00) for violation of California Horse Racing Board rule #1688
(Use of Whips – misuse of whip in post parade) while riding QATAR’S
PEARL in the sixth race at Santa Anita Park on February 26, 2015.
This ruling was issued after Mr. Desormeaux viewed video as the horses approached the starting gate for the sixth race yesterday. His horse, #5 QATAR’S PEARL was not cooperating and was trying to “freeze.” At this point Mr. Desormeaux hit the horse twice in the stomach. Unfortunately for the rider the pan camera was trained on him when the

violation occurred. After viewing the video, Mr. Desormeaux readily admitted his mistake, stating that it was absolutely the wrong thing to do."

W/E 3/7
MyIntention incident -
"3/1/153 ACCIDENT
After the running of the 4th race, the horse MYINTENTION collapsed from exhaustion. MYINTENTION was quickly attended to by racing veterinarian Dr. DANA STEAD. After a quick response and great work by Dr. Stead and the outriders, MYINTENTION was able to walk onto the horse ambulance and was taken back to his barn. Jockey MARTIN PEDROZA got up quickly, was checked by the track physician and found to be uninjured. Accident report attached"
serenassong

Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:38 am

Every once in awhile, I go and read the Los Al minutes- since they do have some TB racing

Not sure of all the particulars, but this is just awful-
W/E 3/1

"(1)ROBLES RULING – REFER 2-20-15 (4)
RULING #36
OWNER HELIODORO ROBLES, IS SUSPENDED FOR THE TERM OF HIS LICENSES THROUGH JAN-2017 AND FINED TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS ($10,000)* FOR VIOLATION OF CALIFORNIA HORSE RACING BOARD RULE # 1902.5 (ANIMAL WELFARE-NEGLECT).
FURTHER, AS A CONDITION FOR CONSIDERATION OF ANY NEW LICENSE APPLICATION, MR ROBLES SHALL UNDERGO A FITNESS FOR LICENSE HEARING TO DETERMINE HIS ABILITY TO PERFORM THE DUTIES REQUIRED TO HOLD SUCH A LICENSE.
DURING THE TERM OF SUSPENSION ALL LICENSES AND LICENSE PRIVILEGES OF HELIODORO ROBLES ARE SUSPENDED AND PURSUANT TO CALIFORNIA HORSE RACING BOARD RULE #1528 (JURISDICTION OF STEWARDS TO SUSPEND OR FINE) SUBJECT IS DENIED ACCESS TO ALL PREMISES IN THIS JURISDICTION.
The above ruling was issued after Mr. Robles was notified of the above ruling.
(2) VIRAMONTES RULING
RULING #39
TRAINER RODOLFO VIRAMONTES IS FINED FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS ($5,000.00)* AND SUSPENDED FOR THE TERM OF HIS LICENSE (11, 2015) FOR VIOLATION OF CALIFORNIA HORSE RACING BOARD RULES # 1902.5 (ANIMAL WELFARE – NEGLECT), #1894 (DUTIES OF TRAINER) AND #1482 (EMPLOYMENT OF UNLICENSED PERSON).
DURING THE TERM OF SUSPENSION ALL LICENSES AND LICENSE PRIVILEGES OF RODOLFO VIRAMONTES ARE SUSPENDED AND PURSUANT TO CALIFORNIA HORSE RACING BOARD RULE #1528 (JURISDICTION OF STEWARDS TO SUSPEND OR FINE) SUBJECT IS DENIED ACCESS TO ALL PREMISES IN THIS JURISDICTION.
The foregoing ruling was issued after a formal hearing was held for Mr. Viramontes concerning his involvement with the case and neglect of an animal under his care."
serenassong

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:22 pm

SA W/E 3/21

Fighting in the barn-
"3/19/152 BACKSTRETCH SECURITY CITATION HEARING
Groom ALEJANDRO ALVAREZ was in the office this morning in response to a complaint filed by the Board for his involvement in an incident on the Santa Anita backstretch between him and trainer Gustav Headley. Mr. Headley was also cited in a complaint but did not show up for the hearing. The rift between the two men began on February 2, when according to Alvarez, Headley threw straw and dog feces into Alvarez’s tack room in retaliation for Alvarez’s dog urinating and defecating in Headley’s feed room. Additionally, on February 16, Alvarez reported to security that while he was tending to chores in his shed row, Mr. Headley purposely rode his horse into him, causing a welt on his forehead. On February 12, Mr. Headley reported to security that Alvarez threatened to assault him in his tack room.
According to the security officers involved, there were no witnesses to either allegation, although security officer BYRON CARTER stated that on February 19, he received a call from BRUCE HEADLEY, Gus’s father, to the effect that if security did not do something about Alvarez, ”I’m going to bring a lawsuit down on you all.”
With the information at hand, the Stewards dismissed the complaint against Mr. Alvarez."

Willa B Awesome sales dispute-
"3/20/152 COMPLAINT DISMISSED
A financial complaint filed against owner TERRY LOVINGER by owner PHIL DANIELS on behalf of jockey MARTIN PEDROZA and Lovinger’s former trainer, WALTHER SOLIS, alleging non-payment of a 5% commission on the sale of the mare WILLA B. AWESOME was dismissed without prejudice due to the fact that the sale took place in November of 2013, which was outside of the parameters of the financial responsibility rule – more than one year. Mr. Daniels was informed, however, that should he prevail in a court of law, we would entertain a complaint."

Cant seem to remember if someone was asking about this incident or not-
"3/15/154 ACCIDENT/INQUIRY/NO CHANGE
The Inquiry sign was posted after the fifth race as the Stewards reviewed the transition area of the hillside turf race in determining the cause of jockey COREY NAKATANI, aboard #7 BILGER’S SAPPHIRE, being unseated from his mount. After speaking with the Patrol Judges and reviewing video of the incident from all pertinent angles, the Stewards voted unanimously to leave the original order of finish in place. The quarter pole angle gave us the best look and it appeared that a chain reaction was the cause of the spill. The catalyst to the event was #11 BACKSEAT BLONDE stopping dramatically near the quarter pole. This caused the riders aboard #9 SCUTI DE PATUTI and #13 BULLWINKLE BABE to
shift out slightly to get around the stopping horse, while at the same time Mr. Nakatani’s horse was stepping in. Unfortunately, his mount clipped the heels of BULLWINKLE BABE
and fell.
Mr. Nakatani was transported to Huntington Hospital in Pasadena, and preliminary reports indicate that he suffered a fracture of his left collarbone. BILGER’S SAPPHIRE escaped unscathed."
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:04 pm

"...according to Alvarez, Headley threw straw and dog feces into Alvarez’s tack room in retaliation for Alvarez’s dog urinating and defecating in Headley’s feed room."

If this happened, I don't blame Headley for returning that unwanted 'gift' to the owner. :P
First...if you own a dog, PICK UP after your dog. :evil:
Second...why the hell was the dog doing its business in anyone's tack room!? :o
Isn't there some sort of rule restricting dogs from running loose in Santa Anita's barns? A lot of horses aren't fond of dogs, and I would think that the last thing any trainer wants to see is his skittish (and valuable) TB spooking because of an unleashed dog.