Honour the Deputy

Honour the Deputy

Postby WarBiscuit » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:25 pm

Don't know how many people remember Honour the Deputy, but aside from being a spectacular looking animal (see The Tins Mans picture of him at
PedigreeQuery), he is a graded stakes placed runner who frequented Santa Anita, Hollywood Park, Del Mar and Laurel Park. Safe to say that
he has officially hit bottom - entered today (8/24/14) in a $1,200 allowance race at Sandy Downs. Long way from placing in the Tokyo City Cup
at SA to a miniscule purse in Idaho. I wish him the best...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

Re: Honour the Deputy

Postby serenassong » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:18 am

He did win- and his prize was $720 http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 14USA5.pdf
He also has the track record for the mile over the surface- I know nothing about this track- hope he has people around him that will care for him. At this level- they are a hoof away from the feed lot and worse. Too bad Hobeau farm wasn't still in operation- they breed him.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
serenassong

Postby Flanders » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:01 am

Is this a fair circuit track or something? I just google mapped it and there is honestly a rodeo set up on where I would imagine that the finish line is.
Flanders

Postby WarBiscuit » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:31 pm

Flanders wrote:Is this a fair circuit track or something? I just google mapped it and there is honestly a rodeo set up on where I would imagine that the finish line is.

From what I've read, it would appear that there are few forms of equine entertainment that do not occur at Sandy Downs throughout the year. TB's (Idaracing.com), Quarter Horses, Mule Races, Rodeos and even Chariot Racing in the winter! All this in addition to concerts, festivals of every type, culinary meets, archery contests, and just plain old passive horse back riding. All inclusive venue. The thoroughbred meet seems to fall in the "this weeks entertainment" category - so yes, a fair circuit track (albeit a rather comprehensive year long fair). All this leads me to wonder just where poor old Honour the Deputy will be shipped off to next. He's inches away from a bush track...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

Postby serenassong » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:43 pm

WarBiscuit wrote:
Flanders wrote:Is this a fair circuit track or something? I just google mapped it and there is honestly a rodeo set up on where I would imagine that the finish line is.

From what I've read, it would appear that there are few forms of equine entertainment that do not occur at Sandy Downs throughout the year. TB's (Idaracing.com), Quarter Horses, Mule Races, Rodeos and even Chariot Racing in the winter! All this in addition to concerts, festivals of every type, culinary meets, archery contests, and just plain old passive horse back riding. All inclusive venue. The thoroughbred meet seems to fall in the "this weeks entertainment" category - so yes, a fair circuit track (albeit a rather comprehensive year long fair). All this leads me to wonder just where poor old Honour the Deputy will be shipped off to next. He's inches away from a bush track...

WarBiscuit

Or being sold for Match racing or tripping south of the border.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
serenassong

Postby Catalina » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:07 am

Or ditto north of the border, alas.
Catalina

Postby lovethegreys » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:48 pm

[i]I have followed this horse and wondered what became of him. This is not the news I had hoped for. I pray that he can be retired and have a second career. If he was mine, he would just be a horse, enjoying a safe life. Oh I wish it could be......
lovethegreys

Postby WarBiscuit » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:57 pm

Honour the Deputy raced in the T.J. Fackrell - Spa Boy Memorial Stakes ($4250 purse) at Black Foot Race Track (Idaho) this past Saturday (9/6/14),
and finished 3rd taking home $446. Looks like he has settled into county fair circuit and seems to be doing well.

WarBiscuit
WarBiscuit

Postby Catalina » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:46 pm

Won't the county fair meets come to a close for the year pretty soon?
Catalina

Postby Curtis » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:36 pm

Catalina wrote:Won't the county fair meets come to a close for the year pretty soon?

They'll go into October then the part of the country he's based in will start to get pretty wet. The people who race on that circuit usually give their horses the winter off and then bring them back in late spring. Some of those guys keep going for years. I'm following a couple of old guys who race in Western Canada, Idaho, Washington and Oregon. If they really get to going good they may get put in at Ferndale (the closest thing California has to offer to the bushier fairs).
Curtis

Next

Return to Whatever Happened To?