Retired Race Horse Perfect Drift

Ballerina

Wed May 06, 2015 1:02 pm

Retired Racehorse Project

If you were watching the Kentucky Derby telecast on Saturday and thought one of the pony horses looked familiar, you were right. That cute little bay on the right in the photo below is multi-millionaire Grade 1 winner Perfect Drift!

Perfect Drift. a 1999 gelding by Dynaformer, ran third in the 2002 Kentucky Derby and went on to earn $4.7 million over a career that spanned 8 years. Initially, he retired to his breeder's farm in Missouri while also spending time at the Kentucky Derby Museum as their resident Thoroughbred.

But museum life bored the gelding who had thrived on the fast-paced life at the racetrack. So a few years ago Monnie Goetz, Perfect Drift's former exercise rider, started training him as a pony horse at the track.

And so last Saturday it was a former Kentucky Derby starter that helped lead over a Kentucky Derby hopeful. And while he never got to wear the blanket of roses over his back, we think he looks pretty good wearing roses in his mane while working in his second career!

Photo courtesy of Wendy Wooley/EquiSport Photos.

carole

Fri May 08, 2015 6:56 am

He also led California Chrome through the post parade for the Derby last year.
Izvestia

Fri May 08, 2015 8:00 am

I'm guessing he has mellowed? I remember him at the '04 Pacific Classic, he was a tiger! Kicking and giving everyone the stink eye. Ran a cracker of a race to get 2nd against Pleasantly Perfect.
BlindLucky

Fri May 08, 2015 10:06 am

They also used him to pony Mine That Bird for exercise when he was at the museum :D

Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
serenassong

Fri May 08, 2015 1:49 pm

Sometimes they do mellow out as they get older. It the "Been-there-done-that" syndrome.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars