Retirements 2016

User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4963
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:19 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I have to wonder why they're retiring this nice filly if she's "sound." :?
Are the Roths less interested in racing, and more interested in the breeding side of the sport? Do they feel that there will be a better return on their investment by getting this black-type filly into the breeding shed sooner, rather than later?
And, as SparrowCastle hints, did that turf course debris debacle harm the filly in some way, even if she is officially 'sound?'
Her retirement has caused a bit of a twitter stir. But someone pointed out that her nicely bred dam, All Her Class, died last year. My guess is they are anxious to get her in the breeding shed because of that. With Honors is by War Front.

Jaime Roth‏@Fijithegreat
@BH_JBalan to clarify I never said she's done "enough" I said she's done more than we could ever have asked for. SW,G1P/G3P dirt/turf.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9879
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:50 pm

Thanks for the insight.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4963
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:52 pm

Nicole Russo ‏@DRFRusso
Jess's Dream (Curlin x Rachel Alexandra), won lone career start 8/15, retires to @OcalaStud for 2017. More to follow.

Nicole Russo ‏@DRFRusso
With retirement of Jess's Dream, both of Rachel Alexandra's foals now done; G1W Rachel's Valentina joins Stonestreet broodmare band
Rainyday
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:47 pm

Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:47 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Nicole Russo ‏@DRFRusso
Jess's Dream (Curlin x Rachel Alexandra), won lone career start 8/15, retires to @OcalaStud for 2017. More to follow.

Nicole Russo ‏@DRFRusso
With retirement of Jess's Dream, both of Rachel Alexandra's foals now done; G1W Rachel's Valentina joins Stonestreet broodmare band
http://www.ocalastud.com/articles/jess% ... -stud.html
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4963
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:27 pm

Hasn't raced for a year, but good to hear he's retired.

Claire Novak ‏@BH_CNovak
Stakes winner and old crowd favorite Saratoga Snacks has retired to ReRun Thoroughbred Adoption per executive director Lisa Molloy.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4963
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:43 am

After 43 Years, Battaglia Calls it Quits
Mike Battaglia, whose 43-year tenure as Turfway Park’s announcer quite likely is a record, will call his last race next Saturday in the stakes named for his late father, the John Battaglia Memorial.

Turfway announced Friday that the 66-year-old Battaglia will become the associate vice president at the track in Florence, Ky. Battaglia has called the races at Turfway since 1973, when it was known as Latonia and John Battaglia was general manager.
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/ne ... H0.twitter
User avatar
mariasmon
Posts: 3951
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 am

Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:51 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:After 43 Years, Battaglia Calls it Quits
Mike Battaglia, whose 43-year tenure as Turfway Park’s announcer quite likely is a record, will call his last race next Saturday in the stakes named for his late father, the John Battaglia Memorial.

Turfway announced Friday that the 66-year-old Battaglia will become the associate vice president at the track in Florence, Ky. Battaglia has called the races at Turfway since 1973, when it was known as Latonia and John Battaglia was general manager.
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/ne ... H0.twitter
That was in March.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4963
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:21 pm

mariasmon wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:After 43 Years, Battaglia Calls it Quits
Mike Battaglia, whose 43-year tenure as Turfway Park’s announcer quite likely is a record, will call his last race next Saturday in the stakes named for his late father, the John Battaglia Memorial.

Turfway announced Friday that the 66-year-old Battaglia will become the associate vice president at the track in Florence, Ky. Battaglia has called the races at Turfway since 1973, when it was known as Latonia and John Battaglia was general manager.
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/ne ... H0.twitter
That was in March.
Yep. I did a search on his name and didn't find it. Now I realize I only searched in the Retirements 2016 thread and he had his own thread in Racing with the news. Move too fast sometimes.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4963
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:23 pm

Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint winner Regally Ready retired
http://www.drf.com/news/breeders-cup-tu ... dy-retired
BlindLucky
Posts: 3314
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:22 am
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:45 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint winner Regally Ready retired
http://www.drf.com/news/breeders-cup-tu ... dy-retired
I absolutely adored this horse. Hope he has a long and happy retirement!

So long, Ready! You and your pink nose were always a lot of fun :D

Image

Image

Image
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Post Reply