In memoriam 2017

Re: In memoriam 2017

Postby Ziggypop » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:28 pm

firehorse wrote:Poor Unstoppable U. While they're are all sad, this one really frosts me:

Starts: 45
Firsts: 13
Seconds: 7
Thirds: 3
Earnings: $375,202

Ran in the Belmont, a stakes winner, then down the claiming ranks to Finger Lakes then Camarero. It's everything I hate about racing that keeps nudging me away from the track.

I am so with you. This is dispicable.
Ziggypop

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:58 pm

RacingPost has a lengthy homage to the horses we lost in 2017, including jumps and flat racehorses from all over the world, as well as broodmares and stallions. A complete list by month is at the end of the article.
https://www.racingpost.com/news/in-dept ... ime/314275
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Catalina » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:30 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:RacingPost has a lengthy homage to the horses we lost in 2017, including jumps and flat racehorses from all over the world, as well as broodmares and stallions. A complete list by month is at the end of the article.
https://www.racingpost.com/news/in-dept ... ime/314275

I wonder what their criteria were, because, just at a quick glance, that doesn't sound anywhere near a "complete list".
Catalina

Postby wooley85 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:07 pm

Ziggypop wrote:
firehorse wrote:Poor Unstoppable U. While they're are all sad, this one really frosts me:

Starts: 45
Firsts: 13
Seconds: 7
Thirds: 3
Earnings: $375,202

Ran in the Belmont, a stakes winner, then down the claiming ranks to Finger Lakes then Camarero. It's everything I hate about racing that keeps nudging me away from the track.

I am so with you. This is dispicable.

PR has been deteriorating for years....and not just TB racing. A few years ago I saw pictures of dead TB's laying on grass outside of barns. TB's that don't win in PR are dead. And this was maybe 5 years ago when racing in PR was "better".

US owners (not all) use PR as a dumping ground for TB's that are done in the US. The "illustrious" Steve Byk and his Dee Tree stables got rid of Toy Cannon, a DeeTee syndicate horse trained by C. Simon. Several weeks ago, I was reading about the Carribean TB group on twitter that had a few horses resting in some barn somewhere. One was Toy Cannon. I posted on facebook what I posted above re Toy Cannon. Thankfully Toy Cannon was shipped back to the US.

TB racing was dismal BEFORE the hurricane. Now, TB are just left to die whereever they are standing or laying down.
Any owner that ships a horse to PR in whatever "future" is left in PR racing would be more merciful if they just euth the horse. But mercy is not in this scenerio.
wooley85

Previous

Return to Whatever Happened To?