In memoriam 2017

firehorse
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:00 pm

Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:29 pm

There were protestors at Gulfstream today at the entrance, have never seen that before. One had a sign saying '43 horses died at this track last year' - as a somewhat regular I found that stunning, any way to find out the accuracy?
User avatar
Delamont
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:54 am

Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:41 pm

Whatever the actual figure, those protesters don't give a @&$# about horses. Rest assured of that.
firehorse
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:00 pm

Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:54 pm

Delamont wrote:Whatever the actual figure, those protesters don't give a @&$# about horses. Rest assured of that.
While I realize that, that many dead horses might qualify it as a blood sport.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9715
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:05 am

If '43 horses died at this track last year,' then I'd hope that the rest of us...from owners to fans...would definitely give a @&$#. :(
Catalina
Posts: 3161
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:18 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:If '43 horses died at this track last year,' then I'd hope that the rest of us...from owners to fans...would definitely give a @&$#. :(
That would be good, but - do you really figure a whole lot of people give a @&$# that 39 died at Belmont last year?
firehorse
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:00 pm

Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:25 am

Catalina wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:If '43 horses died at this track last year,' then I'd hope that the rest of us...from owners to fans...would definitely give a @&$#. :(
That would be good, but - do you really figure a whole lot of people give a @&$# that 39 died at Belmont last year?
I do, that seems an awful lot, given New York tracks these things I think, is that an improvement, worsening or an anomaly? It really does make it hard to love this sport.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9715
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:33 am

The racing industry better care. Public perception matters, or in its attempt to reach more potential fans (ie: consumers) NBC probably wouldn't have been offering all the pretty fluff to go with the racing today.
If the numbers from PETA are false, then perhaps Gulfstream needs to make a very public statement to rebut their 'fake news.'
Unfortunately, horse deaths on the track make the news. As I posted earlier in this thread, Many Clouds' death at Cheltenham today made the front page of my Yahoo News. Arrogate's win in the $12 million Pegasus didn't.
sigh. :(
Catalina
Posts: 3161
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:37 am

firehorse wrote:
Catalina wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:If '43 horses died at this track last year,' then I'd hope that the rest of us...from owners to fans...would definitely give a @&$#. :(
That would be good, but - do you really figure a whole lot of people give a @&$# that 39 died at Belmont last year?
I do, that seems an awful lot, given New York tracks these things I think, is that an improvement, worsening or an anomaly? It really does make it hard to love this sport.
https://breakdown.gaming.ny.gov/ Here's the link.

Presumably there would be a correlation with the number of days of racing over the course of the calendar year, the field size, etc.
genuinerizk
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:21 pm

Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:59 am

There's a website called "Horse Racing Wrongs" that updates the deaths by date and track, and he is in the process of updating the 2016 deaths by state, and the causes of the deaths. The numbers are pretty staggering, sadly.
User avatar
Diver52
Posts: 1610
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:44 pm
Location: Redlands, CA

Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:53 pm

I'd actually like to see mortality comparisons with pleasure horses or even "pasture ornaments.". Horses can hurt themselves iin so many ways without human " help.". And at least horses at the track or in training receive good nutrition and preventive care. (I do realize that PETA would disapprove of "pleasure horses," too.)
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
sweettalk
Posts: 1954
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:06 pm

Diver52 wrote:I'd actually like to see mortality comparisons with pleasure horses or even "pasture ornaments.". Horses can hurt themselves iin so many ways without human " help.". And at least horses at the track or in training receive good nutrition and preventive care. (I do realize that PETA would disapprove of "pleasure horses," too.)
i have a friend who lost her horse to a paddock accident - a "mutt" if you will, he was fine when she checked on him, 3 hrs later she was putting him down with a broken shoulder. she has no idea how. even real quiet's paddock njury is a mysterious mystery. horses must look for ways to get hurt.
genuinerizk
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:21 pm

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:17 pm

Roi Soleil broke down in 3rd at Turf Paradise - chart said "unseated rider, euthanized". Hopefully jockey's ok.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4766
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:41 am

Pulmonary haemorrhage reason for Clouds death
AN AUTOPSY carried out on Grand National winner Many Clouds has found the ten-year-old suffered a severe pulmonary haemorrhage which caused his death after his brave victory at Cheltenham on Saturday.

The 2015 Aintree hero defeated Timico Cheltenham Gold Cup favourite Thistlecrack in a thrilling finish to the Grade 2 Cotswold Chase, but died after crossing the line.

It had been suspected that Many Clouds suffered a heart attack, but the autopsy result showed he suffered a severe internal bleed.

The post-mortem concluded there was no underlying cause which could have triggered the haemorrhage, and officials added that such episodes are rare with the fatality rate within jump racing for horses suffering from similar episodes is just 0.048 per cent of runners.
http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-ra ... t7DaysNews
firehorse
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:00 pm

Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:01 pm

RIP Lord Ruler.
Catalina
Posts: 3161
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:28 pm

firehorse wrote:RIP Lord Ruler.
RIP, poor boy.
TapitsGal
Posts: 794
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:03 pm

Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:41 pm

Pontchatrain and her unborn foal died during delivery per glen hill farms FB post
firehorse
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:00 pm

Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:26 pm

TapitsGal wrote:Pontchatrain and her unborn foal died during delivery per glen hill farms FB post
How sad for her owners to lose both.
Catalina
Posts: 3161
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:39 pm

firehorse wrote:
TapitsGal wrote:Pontchatrain and her unborn foal died during delivery per glen hill farms FB post
How sad for her owners to lose both.
Such a shock, to go from joyous expectations to the grim end of all the hopes and dreams. My deepest condolences to her connections and fans.
User avatar
Psychotic Parakeet
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:51 pm
Location: 34.1481° N, 118.2839° W

Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:10 pm

TapitsGal wrote:Pontchatrain and her unborn foal died during delivery per glen hill farms FB post
News article on Bloodhorse.com mentions it too. It was a Curlin foal.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... plications
I wanna do bad things with you.
Post Reply